+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Something To Pass On To Your Bursa - FMSiS To Be Scrapped in General; For schools that had no processes in place and were making mistakes it was a serious prod up the backside ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For schools that had no processes in place and were making mistakes it was a serious prod up the backside ... it got them to do lots of stuff and although process heavy, it made them think about what they were doing. The thought that came out was "can't this be simpler and give us time to manage things to fit us rather than jump through hoops" ... and so that is what it will change to.

You may not have liked it, but it forced a change of approach from schools.

Thank Post
    We've just been through and completed the audit for this year. Finished last Thursday - never mind!

Can't say much foir the finance side, but the ICT side was quick and easy to provide evidence for if you have the processes already in place. And if you don't it acted as a good prompt to get some quite baisc security and policy settings in place on the network. Was a bit shocked when discussing with a NM at another school to find out that they didn't even use password policies, or have AUP's. So - it had it's positives.

Problem is, for those schools still using 2003 server and on a single domain, they can't implement the above without forcing all pupils to deal with it too. And having a year 5 kid remember an 8 character password containing letters, numbers and special characters would just not work.
    You can get round this limitation. We did using a program called Speccops Password Policy. Worked extremely well actually.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Our business manager was very pleased cheers for the heads up

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    For schools that had no processes in place and were making mistakes it was a serious prod up the backside ... it got them to do lots of stuff and although process heavy, it made them think about what they were doing. The thought that came out was "can't this be simpler and give us time to manage things to fit us rather than jump through hoops" ... and so that is what it will change to.

You may not have liked it, but it forced a change of approach from schools.
    I agree to an extent and think that's a really good point. It's just very frustrating to implement best practice in a primary school only to find that the LA IT Dept that support us have nothing near as robust in place. I dislike unjust situations and it certainly seems unjust that schools can be auditted by FMSiS within an inch of their lives, but the Local Authority can do what it likes with little or no accountability - at least thats how it seems.

I am aware that not all LAs are like ours - sometimes I do wish I could pick the school up and move it to a different county :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    I was working on this over 2 years ago with a primary school, and although a major pain in the behind, the idea arose to put all their existing documentation online and organise it, which they would not have done otherwise. They would have continued to make single page amendments typing them up separately and then inserting into the big paper handbook that was lurking in the corner somewhere.

i did the governor training and it all seemed like common sense stuff that needed to be recorded consistently. hopefully as GD says, this will still be a requirement, just a less painful one.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12