+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, And we're surprised because?! in General; And this is why I'd never have a Windoze phone: SD card upgrades brick Windows Phone 7 handsets | News ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries

And we're surprised because?!

And this is why I'd never have a Windoze phone:

SD card upgrades brick Windows Phone 7 handsets | News | PC Pro

How I laughed when I read this. Milk actually did come out of my nose.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Nice one Microsoft!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i've got a winmo 6 phone and its fine, this is purely a windows 7 thing, because they want the phone to "work out the box" rather than a user having to configure things, so obviously upgrading a memory card is "configuring"

i know people like to bash winmo 6 as being old and ugly, but the work done by some people at xda-developers has made the windows interface actually look great and quite intuitive

4. 2 Thanks to MK-2:

john (16th November 2010), jpaterson (15th November 2010)

Thank Post
    it was stated all through development of Mobile7 it will not support flash memory cards, so it's isn't really Microsoft fault that manufacturers allow people to take the card out when they have been told not to

Thank Post
    I don't see the problem?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i dont think any of the UK win7 phones out has a removable storage slot, so chances are its just the US ones. to be fair, as stated on a blog, do this when first buying the phone, re-flash to factory defaults and thats it. if you need to be swapping memory cards on a regular basis in your phone, chances are you don't need a phone, you need a memory card reader and a PC!!!

Thank Post
    Has anyone actually read the article yet?
    Its for internal storage that was not designed to be removed, in fact the Microsoft article says treat the SD card (which would come pre installed anyway) as if it were welded into the phone.
    Not including removable storage has been the act of apple for years with various devices so why should it be any different in Windows phone - in fact its a lot easier to use your WP as a USB drive (with a USB cable) than it is any iPhone or other device.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    - in fact its a lot easier to use your WP as a USB drive (with a USB cable) than it is any iPhone or other device.
    buh? hows it easier than mounting an android device as a usb disk?

Thank Post
    So when people do something that Microsoft said from the beginning you shouldn't do, it breaks the phone? Makes sense to me! Sony say you shouldn't crack your PSP as you may brick it, does that mean I should crack mine and then tell everyone Sony are stupid when it bricks?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Sorry was refering to iOS devices - Android is highly exempt.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,675 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Ah, because one is automatic and the other at least in the eairlier versions required doing stuff manually. A couple of my friends have Android 1.6 devices (G1s from Vodafone NZ) and it took a while for them to be able to hook the up to PCs because they needed to follow instructions. It may be better now but having it mount automaticlly as a USB mass storage device is a lot easier.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So basically it acts like a standard PC hard drive? Cant see to much of a problem to be honest.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    So basically it acts like a standard PC hard drive? Cant see to much of a problem to be honest.
    not really; you can upgrade a 'standard pc hard drive'. the phones are built to have removable SD cards, more akin to an external USB disk in a computer. The phones SD cards are designed to be upgraded or so that the SD card used in other devices such as cameras.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    not really; you can upgrade a 'standard pc hard drive'. the phones are built to have removable SD cards, more akin to an external USB disk in a computer. The phones SD cards are designed to be upgraded or so that the SD card used in other devices such as cameras.
    From what i can gather you can upgrade them you just have to reflash the software.

Z

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,675 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    The comparison is much more like two disks in a RAID0 set, you cant just remove one of the disks and put another one it as it breaks it. If you want to do that then you need to backup the data and restore it once the new disk is in just like the current setup. There is of course the debate about redundancy etc but it is a phone not a server and so limited space and power mean liited hardware.

The process of putting in in the phone rewrites the devicetype anyway so that it can no longer be uese in a camera or PC and the type of card must support a really high rate of random IO. This is why some people attempting to upgrade their own have had issues.

It is not meant as a removable storage device, it is just a cheap, already developed formfactor to get memory in so that prices could be kept down and upgrades would be comparitivly easy.

I don't agree with the policy as I like my removable storage but it does exactly what it says on the tin.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast