+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, APC UPS Just died in General; Has anybody ever had a UPS just completely die - ours is less then 18months old and last night it ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts

APC UPS Just died

Has anybody ever had a UPS just completely die - ours is less then 18months old and last night it just died - no warning nothing. Passed a self test on Friday and had been working fine the entire time we have had it.

Doesn't even pass through electricity on bypass and cannot start from batterys is completely dead. Have been speaking to APC all morning and they are saying this never happens but surely it must at somepoint.

Its not even one the the cheaper ones its an Smart UPS RT 10000XLI

Any body seen anything like this before. I think it is going to have to be swapped out but not sure what it is doing.

Toby

Thank Post
    not common at all, well i have heard this on belkin UPS but not APC

Thank Post
    Yeah i had never heard of it happening. Its just completely dead.

Have checked the voltages of the batteries and they are all well over charged - apparently meant to run at around 90V but ours have been charged to 130v so they think it could be completely faulty.

Thank Post
    APC have just confirmed they will replace it - although a 5 day wait until they can ship the replacement! which IMHO is awful customer service - i did point out someone like HP would have had a new one next day and all he could say was that it came from holland!

They think the batteries could have fried the ups as (not sure if they needed to) kick in for whatever reason and being over charged caused them to make it go bang

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,679 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That does sound odd, I have had APC UPSs survvive all sorts, One lot survived continual AC fails untill the batteries finally had enough and failed. The heat was such that the battery expanded to the point that it bent the steel of the case outwards and it took a screwdriver to pry the battery out. Replace the battery and it was fine.

With regard to hp, stay well clear of their UPSs, they are total rubbish. We have one that when confronted with an overvoltage condition just shuts off, the same power conditions don't even phase an APC one.

Thank Post
    yeah i wouldn't buy one of them - we currently have 8 sitting under our stage (rubbish pile!) which did the job of the one apc one we have! i was just using it as an example of how better there customer care was in comparison.

its just a guess what has gone wrong as i couldn't put the management card in another ups to see if there was any logs because i don't have another that will take the card. So we will not find out what has gone wrong until after they have swapped it out

for the time being tho we are running through 2 hp ups's which are proberly about 5 years old with dead batteries but easier then rewiring the server room with proper kettle leads!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread