+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, How to make online banking harder curtesy of Lloyds TSB in General; I don't see why they don't make these into an app for android/ios....

Thank Post
    I don't see why they don't make these into an app for android/ios.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fafster View Post
    I don't see why they don't make these into an app for android/ios.
    How would your phone read the card?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 727 Posts
    Have had to use one the Nationwide for the past year now. TBH I can't see a problem, anything that makes it more secure is a good thing. Compare this to Egg who just require address, DOB, Mothers Maiden Name and a password that can be as simple as you like to access your account.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My problem is not the extra authentication (that is a good thing IMHO, rather that fact I now have to type things out twice. Once online, and once into the keypad to get the authentication number. It's a bit of a faff IMHO. I'd be willing to pay for a USB model if it integrated with the website TBH.
    Instead of a alternate way of doing something it simply makes you duplicate the process, in a not very useful way.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Instead of a alternate way of doing something it simply makes you duplicate the process, in a not very useful way.
    It's always surprised me that they don't generate a short hash of the transaction to enter into the pin thingy instead, rather than making you re-enter everything.

Thank Post
    I have to say that Natwests use of two-factor authentication makes most sense to me. You're only asked to use the card reader if you are adding a new payee, and the first time you pay that new payee. If the payee already exists and you have already paid them you don't require the card reader, and when you login you don't require the card reader.

Nationwide however has a system that constantly frustrates me. Even more so now that they're making it a requirement that you use your card reader to login, and are required to use the card reader for each and every transaction.

Thank Post
    Smile - the online bank from the co-op issued these a while back.

They work differently to the lloyds one as they only respond to a simple string of numbers the on-line banking site puts out. Still an inconvenience, but better than the lloyds design it would seem.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    It's always surprised me that they don't generate a short hash of the transaction to enter into the pin thingy instead, rather than making you re-enter everything.
    That's what the Natwest one does methinks....

Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post

They work differently to the lloyds one as they only respond to a simple string of numbers the on-line banking site puts out. Still an inconvenience, but better than the lloyds design it would seem.
    ...... and that one to by the looks of it! it's a case of: Insert card, enter pin, enter number from online banking site (the hash, I assume), type in number reader works out. Simples (squeek!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK View Post
    Have had to use one the Nationwide for the past year now. TBH I can't see a problem, anything that makes it more secure is a good thing. Compare this to Egg who just require address, DOB, Mothers Maiden Name and a password that can be as simple as you like to access your account.
    Nationwide are changing their login from december so you have to use this, which previously you didn't.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    RBS have them and I have had mine for a while, the only real time I need to use it is to setup a new PAYEE not to actually do a transfer to them after that point which seems sensible as if they hackers got into my account they could only transfer money to my sister or any premade ones I created.

Thank Post
    Natwest have one of the best online banking systems so far. I have one of those card reader things but only have to use it when setting a new payment place or DD.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,596 Posts
    We use Barclays and that PIN sentry machine extensively. All I ever have to with it is put a card in, enter my PIN and use the code it generates. All the twiddly bits with the account, payee and amount are done on the website. when I make a payment to a particular person, I can authorise the website to remember the details so that I don't have to use the PIN sentry to do it again for that payee.

Sounds like your bank has taken a good system (and Barclays have been praised for the security of their online banking) and make it worse.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    I have a Barclays account with one of those things, you also have to use it when you go into the branch too. I can't be bothered to find it so would last time i moved money between my Barlcay and to my First Direct account, I did it via the high street branch.

As for banks, go to First Direct, i can call them up, move my money and probably set up a DD before the kettle has had a chance to boil. I Love First Direct!!!
    Yayyyyy! First Direct ROCK!

Phone them up, and usually the call is answered straight away....Do all my business, whilst being asked how my day is going....how my son is....Etc etc.

Helpful staff with really good phone attitude!

rad
    Thank Post
    Ok lets throw this one in,

With all the companies that want to insist on using these stupid machines, you want to log onto your account at work just to check ZZZ payment has gone through.

Oh you lot can't can you cos those stupid machines are left at home..... Thats why First Direct is soooo good. If you switch to FD I get money, go on someone tell them I sent you their way!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    I haven't got one I feel a bit left out now and I've been a Smile customer for years

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast