+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Game share price - 80p in General; Yes, entirely to close down the high street stores and stick them in a corner. They'll never be a shade ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, entirely to close down the high street stores and stick them in a corner. They'll never be a shade of their former selves and they'll never be taken into the 21st century of gaming with either of those owners or any of their existing top end staff. I'd rather they closed down, they've already gotten rid of the true money makers and idea-pushers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 852 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In all honesty, I am really not surprised. I wandered down to the GAME in town yesterday to see if they'd got anything going cheap, given their position, and the range of stuff is appalling. I don't just mean new releases, which they have obvious problems with; there's just no breadth to the catalogue at all. I just got a new PS3 so thought I'd go see what games they had for it, and their new range was only about two-dozen titles. A 6 year old console and they can only stock 20-odd new titles. The pre-owned stuff wasn't necessarily cheap either - the GoW collection and Ico/SotC discs were both 20 pre-owned, in the sale. Useless.

However, here's an interesting counterpoint to why we need GAME despite all appearances to the contrary.

Thank Post
    Yeah GAME's stock and prices are shocking compared to the likes of Game Station or net sites such as Amazon, Play or Sweet Buzzards.

Thank Post
    I love browsing the PC game section in Game, purely to get entertainment value from seeing what new '______ Simulator' games are in! The highlight last time was Oil Rig Simulator, and Woodcutter Simulator. Two MUST HAVE titles!!!

Can't remember the last time I bought a game from Game. I'm not a gamer who is desperate to get the newest titles, so waiting for a epic Steam sale and purchasing titles a year later at half the price is fine with me!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,307 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scorcher89 View Post
    Yeah GAME's stock and prices are shocking compared to the likes of Game Station or net sites such as Amazon, Play or Sweet Buzzards.
    Game own Gamestation though...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 852 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    I love browsing the PC game section in Game, purely to get entertainment value from seeing what new '______ Simulator' games are in! The highlight last time was Oil Rig Simulator, and Woodcutter Simulator. Two MUST HAVE titles!!!
    I was browsing the site the other day and they had Airport Firefighter Simulator and Farming Simulator on sale at only 9.97... I contemplated getting them for my father-in-law but that it might be a busman's holiday for him, seeing as he retired from being the fire chief at the Top Gear test track (when it was still an airfield) to move up here to Lincolnshire!

Thank Post
    I am actually looking into buying some shares in GAME. Wish I had done it a few days ago when they were 0.5p per share, they're up to around 4p at the moment which isn't much but would have been vey decent profit on any purchased at half a penny!

Thank Post
    It's not a surprise to be honest. I can't see where they have an advantage over online and supermarkets.
    Big release - people either order online and get it cheaper and on day of release/before day of release, or they go to Asda/Tescos who (I assume) sell them as loss leaders or sell them cheap when a certain amount is spent etc. I can't see who would go to Game to buy a new release at full RRP when those options exist.

I realise they could probably never compete with supermarkets but surely could get a bit closer to online prices?

Thank Post
    Game own Gamestation though...
    Yep. but why did they decided to shut down Gamestation when it is doing better that Game. Its no wonder Game is probably going to shut down

Thank Post
    and don't forget the next xbox is disk-less. They could stock the cartridges but MS reckon all sales will be digital.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts
    I refuse to use Game because the staff feel the need to lie to me every time I go in (at least in the two Wolverhampton stores they do) and they refuse to price match despite being more expensive than most places.

Example 1 - wanted the Nyko adapter for Kinect, Game tell me it's not due out for another month. Go in to Gamestation and buy it.
    Example 2 - buying a PS Move and Eyepets for little un for Christmas. Told I don't need the remote, just the camera.
    Example 3 - asked if they'd price match against ASDA, told they can't, it's cheaper in ASDA because they don't pay VAT (WTF?!) - I couldn't help but laugh out loud when they came out with that gem

Perhaps it's just that the Wolverhampton stores are bad but I suspect the floor staff are trained to say whatever they can to make the sale (it's been different staff each time) but I don't trust them and won't buy from them on principle. Funnily enough, they only try this when I go in with the missus, must think that family men know jack about technology.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    I am actually looking into buying some shares in GAME. Wish I had done it a few days ago when they were 0.5p per share, they're up to around 4p at the moment which isn't much but would have been vey decent profit on any purchased at half a penny!
    Exactly! If you'd spent 1000 on those shares....they'd now be worth 8000....Tidy!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    they'd now be worth 8000....Tidy!
    if you had someone willing to buy them from you

Joe

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    if you had someone willing to buy them from you

Joe
    Indeed!