+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
General Chat Thread, Google Street View Catches Chav Stealing Caravan in General; Story on BBC: BBC News - Google Street View image appeal in caravan theft probe...
  1. #1

    tech_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Posts
    8,135
    Thank Post
    1,908
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    395

    Google Street View Catches Chav Stealing Caravan

    Last edited by tech_guy; 7th November 2010 at 08:47 PM.

  2. #2

    MK-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,237
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 581 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    200
    i thought google kept the unedited images somewhere? so shouldn't they have his car registration on that image?

  3. #3
    SteveBentley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,438
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 263 Times in 189 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    They would probably need a court order to get Google to release that though, data protection and all that.

  4. #4

    MK-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,237
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 581 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    200
    yep, i thought they would, but if the police are appealing for info on this man, it'd seem logical to go down that route anyway.

  5. #5

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,659
    Thank Post
    858
    Thanked 646 Times in 429 Posts
    Rep Power
    498
    Pah!
    CSI would have been able to remove the fuzzyness within minutes or, by zooming in on the caravan window to get a crystal clear view of the rear registration plate..

    Though I'm still wondering why the "unsub" looks like he is about to relieve himself on the driveway whilst facing the road
    Last edited by Gatt; 8th November 2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Damn that I before E rule...

  6. #6

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    10,384
    Thank Post
    597
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 992 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    629
    I'd be willing to bet that whatever plates are on that car are not legit.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    894
    Thank Post
    64
    Thanked 171 Times in 140 Posts
    Rep Power
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    They would probably need a court order to get Google to release that though, data protection and all that.
    Like Google are concerned about the DP Act....

  8. #8

    MK-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,237
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 581 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that whatever plates are on that car are not legit.
    are you trying to suggest that man would do something as illegal as driving without correct plates? oh wait........

  9. #9
    andy_nic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    445
    Thank Post
    31
    Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Pah!
    CSI would have been able to remove the fuzzyness within minutes or, by zooming in on the caravan window to get a crystal clear view of the rear registration plate..

    Though I'm still wondering why the "unsub" looks like he is about to relieve himself on the driveway whilst facing the road

    Nah it would by a zoomed in image of a water droplet on the tree then the refection of the tax Disc lol

  10. #10

    MK-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,237
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 581 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    200
    so this man parked up, opened his boot and passenger door and then put the caravan in his car? kudos to you sir, kudos!

  11. #11
    Arcath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    972
    Thank Post
    102
    Thanked 116 Times in 101 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_nic View Post
    Nah it would by a zoomed in image of a water droplet on the tree then the refection of the tax Disc lol
    Dont be silly, if you zoom in on his pocket you will be able to extrapolate all the information on his driving license just from the ruffles in his trousers.

  12. #12

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,808
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by timzim View Post
    Like Google are concerned about the DP Act....
    IMHO if people are stupid enough to have unsecured wireless networks then they did deserve to lose there data!

    Also on the count of stealing the caravan - we would have had to spin the whole thing round on this own! they aint light at the best of times!

  13. #13

    MK-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,237
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 581 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    IMHO if people are stupid enough to have unsecured wireless networks then they did deserve to lose there data!

    Also on the count of stealing the caravan - we would have had to spin the whole thing round on this own! they aint light at the best of times!
    we've just moved house and as soon as we moved in, i scanned for networks and found 2 unsecured (usually called linksys funnily enough).
    sad thing is, on one i connected to (yes i know its illegal!) i went to the router setup page, default username and password and was in.
    so i could have theoretically locked them our of their own router and used it as my own with passwords and security.

    at least bt/sky/virgin send theirs our with preconfigured security now which is slightly better (although having it written on the router in plain sight still isn't fantastic!)

  14. #14

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,808
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Rep Power
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    at least bt/sky/virgin send theirs our with preconfigured security now which is slightly better (although having it written on the router in plain sight still isn't fantastic!)
    Oh i walk around all the time and my phone tells me if there is a wireless network which i can connect to - there is so many i had to turn if off as it go annoying!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Google Street View
    By ICT_GUY in forum General Chat
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 24th April 2010, 05:59 PM
  2. Google maps and street view
    By UnknownStuntman in forum Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 29th March 2010, 11:41 AM
  3. Hey, I am on Google Street View
    By CESIL in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16th March 2010, 02:15 PM
  4. google street view
    By RabbieBurns in forum General Chat
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 28th March 2009, 09:19 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •