+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
General Chat Thread, You think you have it bad..... in General; ...
  1. #1

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,066
    Thank Post
    629
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,020 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    638

    You think you have it bad.....

    I've just been chatting to a yound lad who is doing a course run by a training company on the ground floor of the office complex EduGeek is located in. He's doing......I didn't know wether to laugh or cry when he told me.....an NVQ in call center working.
    He's overjoyed because the govt pays him £4 per hour for the duration of the course!

  2. #2

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,967
    Thank Post
    519
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,943 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    841
    No wonder they're having to slash Further Education budgets if this is where it gets spent?!

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lowestoft
    Posts
    284
    Thank Post
    112
    Thanked 32 Times in 28 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    thank god its getting them off the streets though and into a working enviroment we have a guy here working at the moment on a new goverment scheme , he gets his dole and nothing more but he has a chance of obtaining full time paid employment now

  4. Thanks to TopBanana from:

    Edu-IT (9th November 2010)

  5. #4

    tech_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Posts
    8,136
    Thank Post
    1,913
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    395
    Expect more of the same for all of us as the cutbacks begin to bite.

  6. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    177
    Thank Post
    93
    Thanked 13 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    Its not the best idea this.
    All that will happen is there will be less jobs available as companies get free labour.
    Would you work 30 hours a week for £60?
    Companies will realise they can get people to work for free, so there will be less and less real jobs available.
    It is a slippery slope this, but not many people can see it from my point of view...

  7. #6

    Theblacksheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a house.
    Posts
    1,938
    Thank Post
    138
    Thanked 290 Times in 210 Posts
    Rep Power
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by CapEnd View Post
    Its not the best idea this.
    All that will happen is there will be less jobs available as companies get free labour.
    Would you work 30 hours a week for £60?
    Companies will realise they can get people to work for free, so there will be less and less real jobs available.
    It is a slippery slope this, but not many people can see it from my point of view...
    Very slippery slope.

    More out of work, coincidently loads of free and part time mandatory work for under the minimum wage "just to get work experience".

    Disgracefull.

  8. Thanks to Theblacksheep from:

    CapEnd (8th November 2010)

  9. #7

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,967
    Thank Post
    519
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,943 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    841
    Quote Originally Posted by CapEnd View Post
    Its not the best idea this.
    All that will happen is there will be less jobs available as companies get free labour.
    Would you work 30 hours a week for £60?
    Companies will realise they can get people to work for free, so there will be less and less real jobs available.
    It is a slippery slope this, but not many people can see it from my point of view...
    This isn't about working, this is a training course. Are you talking about the government's £1 an hour stuff?

  10. #8

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,765
    Thank Post
    862
    Thanked 908 Times in 753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    330
    NVQ in Call Centre Working? Please tell me that's not a Level 3 course? Talk about devaluing the worth of our GCSE's and A-Levels!

  11. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    177
    Thank Post
    93
    Thanked 13 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    I was commenting on what TopBannana said.

  12. #10

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,967
    Thank Post
    519
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,943 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    841
    Quote Originally Posted by CapEnd View Post
    I was commenting on what TopBannana said.
    May I recommend that you make use of the 'Reply With Quote' button, as it clarifies who you're replying to.

  13. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    67
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Very slippery slope.

    More out of work, coincidently loads of free and part time mandatory work for under the minimum wage "just to get work experience".

    Disgracefull.
    Amazing how the govement change there mind, friend of mine trying to get in to IT was unemployed for over a year but because he lived off savings for first 9 months did not claim dole, when he took up the offer of a voluntary one day a week at the uni where I work in the IT dept the dole told him they would stop his money as only they could give him a placement and then only when he'd been in getting the dole for six months.

  14. #12
    dwhyte85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    1,219
    Thank Post
    159
    Thanked 147 Times in 132 Posts
    Rep Power
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Amazing how the govement change there mind, friend of mine trying to get in to IT was unemployed for over a year but because he lived off savings for first 9 months did not claim dole, when he took up the offer of a voluntary one day a week at the uni where I work in the IT dept the dole told him they would stop his money as only they could give him a placement and then only when he'd been in getting the dole for six months.
    JSA is lame, it is based on your previous years earnings/contrib, so if you've ever been self employed it can be a nightmare

  15. #13
    rad
    rad is offline
    rad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    2,511
    Thank Post
    338
    Thanked 311 Times in 239 Posts
    Rep Power
    111
    I think the NVQ stuff is great to get the first job but after that its pointless.

    But getting £4 an hour is better than I got at 17 in P/T paid work

  16. #14

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,198
    Thank Post
    404
    Thanked 627 Times in 573 Posts
    Rep Power
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by TopBanana View Post
    thank god its getting them off the streets though and into a working enviroment we have a guy here working at the moment on a new goverment scheme , he gets his dole and nothing more but he has a chance of obtaining full time paid employment now
    Totally agree. At least he's doing something with his life and not queing outside the job centre each week for free money.

  17. #15
    mthomas08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,623
    Thank Post
    138
    Thanked 170 Times in 148 Posts
    Rep Power
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    I think the NVQ stuff is great to get the first job but after that its pointless.

    But getting £4 an hour is better than I got at 17 in P/T paid work
    Same, I had to do what real world people did and work part time while doing a mon-fri 8:30-4:30 course....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Bad Caps
    By m25man in forum Bad Experiences
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27th June 2011, 09:39 AM
  2. Bad MB? Also, bad MBR?
    By LearningisFun in forum Hardware
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15th October 2010, 03:55 PM
  3. O2 cannot be that bad after all
    By jamin100 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 17th December 2009, 10:57 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •