+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Teacher Laptops? in General; We all have to deal with the mess of looking after teacher laptops but is there a legal requirement for ...
    Thank Post

Teacher Laptops?

We all have to deal with the mess of looking after teacher laptops but is there a legal requirement for us to supply them to teachers or is it just a good will gesture?

Thank Post
    Not a legal requirement. We don't provide them here. Well we don't now. The heads view was that they are that cheap now, that if they want one they can buy one out of their own pocket. 99% of our staff that have been provided a laptop keep it at home anyway!!

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you have desktops in classrooms, don't bother and use that kit.
    If the laptop will be the only computer they have access to beyond a few shared resources (like ones in the staff room) then it will get used at work. They do here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    We provide 20pc's for use in the staff room for those members of staff whose classroom is in use on there frees for them to use - we are waiting for the staff laptops to be up for renewal and then we are removing the ones that are out there

Thank Post
    My school is in the odd position where each classroom has its own desktop PC and teaching staff, SLT and Admin staff with a specific need are issued a laptop. In my last school which was a primary we went in this direction only because we had SMART IWBs coming in and there was a laptop for teachers scheme up and running at the time. I got the laptops in on budget hehe..

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Schools dont need to provide them but some heads feel they should. Currently I am sourcing 6 new laptops for teachers when a)I could put a desktop in each room, and
    b)If I must get them, then ICT Direct's lovely IBM T60s fit the bill perfectly and are cheap and robust.
    I do not believe teachers need a laptop. Most of mine, in both schools, are not used much at home.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The teachers here use their laptops a lot, both at home for planning and occasional personal use (iTunes, however for all music and videos, I demand to see the receipt emails in case they are illegally downloading).

At this point we are not looking to replace them with desktops, but maybe during the next cycle we will.

Thank Post
    All of our staff have laptops and some have desktops in their classrooms also. They all seem to just expect a laptop, and unfortunately most of the laptops are pretty new so replacing them all with desktops won't be happening for a year or two. A few members of staff leave them at school as they don't like to take school work home with them.

Most of my issues are caused by staff laptops and not connecting to the network properly before logging on and rolling out updates is a pain to do before staff decide to turn their laptops off again .

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,597 Times in 2,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Most of ours no longer go home, so I shall be looking at desktop machines for those that don't move them from now on.

If you can find a teacher without their own home computer, you'll've found a rare being.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts
    I use our laptops for the training of teachers in the use of different OS and applications. We are to move to Windows 7 and office 2010 so I am at the moment pulling in all the teachers laptops and upgrading them in the lead up to the change.

So far it has had a positive response from the teachers who have been upgraded.

Eventually my intention is to swap the laptops for desktops in the school and the staff will have to purchase their own laptop or desktop for home.

I feel that teachers use the fact that they have to do work from home as an excuse to be given a laptop for that purpose, it doesn't hold water anymore with SLT as most of the staff have their own personal computers and from them can gain access to Sims and their work areas from home.

It wont take long for them to actually ask for broadband costs from the school but that is another perk that they will find in this economic climate that the schools will not grant.

It is about time that the teaching staff stopped acting like the schools owe them a living with all the perks thrown in and give a little more back to the schools instead of taking all the time.

BTW the laptop for teachers scheme stopped over 4 years ago so to answer the question first asked: No there is no legal requirement to supply teachers with a laptop.

Thank Post
    Just about all teachers here have laptops. I do make it my duty to keep removing malware like iTunes and Spotify though - both second only to the likes of Limewire in causing problems.

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the replys, this all cropped up because I walked in to work yesterday and was acosted by the previous ict coord (dont have a current one) and was told we need to look at ordering new laptops for alot of the staff! I ignored the same request last week! Most have reasonable laptops (ones which I would be happy to have!) but because thet just dont look after them, loose keys, fill them up with cr*p etc they then say they need replacing. Just took two back in from staff who have left yeasterday reinstalled them and issued them back out to new staff who are more than happy. Think she just wants a new laptop at home ( I know she just lets her kids play on them) so it just set the day off on the wrong foot. Anyway spoke to the head and hes more interested in just giving them netbooks....when there is money which is a while off at the moment :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    I feel that teachers use the fact that they have to do work from home as an excuse to be given a laptop for that purpose, .
    Absolutely - we ALL do work from home,and in any other business, unless you officially work from home, you are not given a laptop to do it!!
    I realise that some teachers need to leave at 3.30 in order to sort out children etc, but quite a few are perfectly able to stay until 5.30 (like people in business do) and do quite a lot of their work within that couple of hours. I know (before teachers scream) that they do a great deal of work at home, but that is the nature of the job.
    They used to complain about having to put their work on a stick and bring it in, but with the VLE they dont even have to do that anymore (apart from the fact that they could email it to themselves anyway)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Schools dont need to provide them but some heads feel they should. Currently I am sourcing 6 new laptops for teachers when a)I could put a desktop in each room, and
    b)If I must get them, then ICT Direct's lovely IBM T60s fit the bill perfectly and are cheap and robust.
    I do not believe teachers need a laptop. Most of mine, in both schools, are not used much at home.
    IBM T60's, best laptops I ever did use... drools

Thank Post
    No legal requirement no, there used to be some sort of "Laptops for Teachers" scheme but that was before my time!

In this place, class teachers get laptops, HLTA's get laptops, Intervention TA's get laptops, all of management get laptops, the Head has a laptop & a desktop, the Family Workers have laptops....... in fact I'd say about 75% of the computers in the school are actually laptops.

If I tried to take laptops away and replace them with desktops in the classrooms I think I would be kicked to death by the end of day 1!
    From my POV though it's very convenient for staff to be able to take their own laptop and work anywhere (halls, corridors for groups, PPA room, staffroom, and yes, even at home!) and in this place it's surprising just how mobile the staff are throughout the day.

I ensure though that they cannot install their own software (no iTunes, no Limewire, etc), and thanks to 1 very public example made of a teacher a few years ago, no-one really dares use them for anything beyond school work. OK we get the odd photo album of a holiday or someone checks their bank account online, but nothing to really complain about.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast