+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Millenium/Crown/Imperial etc Toner Scam? in General; Received a called from Global yesterday. Unfortunately i'm one of the idiots who now has a toner in the post. ...

Thank Post
    Received a called from Global yesterday. Unfortunately i'm one of the idiots who now has a toner in the post. Like others they stated it would be a free trail - the dispatch email i got this morning would suggest otherwise.

Never mind, I've just told the warehouse guys to refuse to sign for the goods.
    Last edited by Dunes; 26th April 2013 at 11:56 AM.

Thank Post
    All companies have the same phone numbers, same web designs (well templates) same directors.

Generic information, same prices and items for different companies and very few products.

Its page one of the conmans handbook.

How can you resign from MILLENNIUM COMPUTER SYSTEMS (UK) LIMITED in 15/12/2009 and then be an MD of MILLENNIUM COMPUTER SYSTEMS CORPORATION LIMITED just over a year later? They are all disposable companies that probably go bankrupt more often than they sell an item.

Not one of these companies seems to turn a profit yet has a net worth of over £4 million?

Very suspicious....

I mean Universal Solutions (International) Ltd - Craft Shop in W6 9AR - a CRAFT SHOP??
    Last edited by CHR1S; 26th April 2013 at 11:57 AM.

Thank Post
    From what I remember off business law I did at uni, you can buy "off the shelf" companies from a lot of places, you just alter the names with companies house and away you go when its bought or just re-register a different company name yourself with companies house, its not a hard thing to do, it is one of those shady things you see a lot of nowadays, each company is also a seperate entity in the eyes of the law from the other business, so any liabilities are only with that particular company as the name is registered so the UK limited is different to the corporation limited and can run up seperate different debts on its own.

Its harder to "lift the veil" and see the people behind the companies as well if they run them as a semi-legit business, the owners rarely go personally bankrupt at all.

Thank Post
    I shall add myself to the list of facepalming tech's that got suckered.

I accepted the vouchers for the school, not personally, I made it clear we can't accept gifts. I was told a high yield of 20k, which considering our existing ones that are around 15k didn't seem too far a stretch. It would seem they've revised their sales patter to be a little more believable.

I've got 2 toners headed to me, with a dispatch email confirming they will cost us £750! I've reported to CAB, who in turn have said they will pass on the information to the OFT for breaching the "misrepresentation act" - I urge others that have been scammed to do the same and hopefully the OFT can gather enough reports/evidence to shut them down.

Can't believe I let my guard down, but I guess this is what happens on a Friday afternoon when you're up to your neck in order trial toners from different company to do some evaluations on. The guy called at the right time to catch me out.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
    Checked out the address on Google Street Maps. LOL

It's a shop called "Mail Boxes Etc". See https://plus.google.com/108702154678...2/photos?hl=en
    Try contacting the local Trading Standards officer. Mail Boxes Etc is a mail holding company; I used to work for one of them and know for a fact they have a policy of being VERY co-operative when the local TS bod shows up. Chiswick falls under the London Borough of Houslow, contact details here: Trading standards

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    He's ~75!

WTF? You'd think he'd know better.
    First director position at 66, is he just a sock puppet really?

Ben

Thank Post
    Just had a cold call from Imperial. After letting the guy (Simon) know that we use several suppliers and quote often so not really interested in cold calls. Guy got quite aggressive saying that if he was a Network Manager he'd get them to quote as they are the cheapest in the UK and promptly hung up before I could rip into him.

Got to be a scam, no cold callers from any reputable company and it doesn't matter how dismissive the cold callee is would react like that.

In his rant there was a reference to a catalogue and a trial in the post. Looks like a bullet dodged.

Thank Post
    They're still on the go folks. (Global something or other). Same patter. 1) Survey (check). 2) Football shirts (check). 3) Visit in November for lunch (check). 4) Can I have an invoice number for your trial cartridge? (check). Told them I couldn't give them one. I hope the toners arrive because, according to the following link, we can treat them as 'gifts' and don't have to pay for them or send them back. The toner phoner scam | Adventures in IT - InfoWorld. Warned our Accounts Department though not to pay anything. Steve Walker (Stockton Sixth Form College)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walker01642 View Post
    I hope the toners arrive because, according to the following link, we can treat them as 'gifts' and don't have to pay for them or send them back. The toner phoner scam | Adventures in IT - InfoWorld.
    Careful now, that is an American link, talking about the FTC, an American organisation. Not sure if the same gift law applies over here.

Thank Post
    Sorry it is American. What about this then from Citizens Advice? Citizens Advice - You

Thank Post
    Do you have to return the goods?

You have no obligation to return the goods to the trader or allow the trader to collect the goods. However, it would be reasonable for you to contact the trader to explain what has happened and give them a chance to collect the goods from you.
    This....

Thank Post
    CCS media just rang - looks like it could be linked to this. Offering chocolate as they've just won a contract to supply all of Cadbury's and in return they were sent too much. Offered me some with a tracking number. It all sounded too familiar so just hung up! I assume i would have received a toner and an invoice to go with that chocolate.

Thank Post
    Name & Registered Office:
    CCS MEDIA LIMITED
    OLD BIRDHOLME HOUSE
    DERBY ROAD
    CHESTERFIELD
    DERBYSHIRE
    S40 2EX
    Company No. 01693516
    These guys have several offices in the UK, seem "slightly" more legit than the others.

Date of Incorporation: 21/01/1983
    Been around longer than me....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,539 Times in 1,974 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nah, CCS Media are a good company. Either used to be or are currently are a sponsor on this site I think?

Thank Post
    Why have they resorted to very up-front unsolicited calls that very much resemble the old Millenium/Crown schtick?
    I agree they do look legit as I had a snoop around for them, just seems odd for them to offer chocolates straight off the bat and pushing a tracking number to go with it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast