+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Feedback in General; Would you suggest that 80% of all issues that come in are resolved within 20 minutes as a good thing? ...
    Thank Post

Feedback

Would you suggest that 80% of all issues that come in are resolved within 20 minutes as a good thing?

I can see some negatives but, in general, would you suggest that is good service bearing in mind nothing has been formally ironed out in terms of agreements?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can you explain the context some?

Thank Post
    We are going through a consultation to see where our ICT was, is and will be. They are considering all aspects inclusive of whether an MSP would benefit the school greater than us.

We're also arguing for the normal... pay, training and another member of staff and we're trying to show that we're run ragged (not shown by the above) and that if we're not careful service will degrade as the new equipment deteriorates and we're stretched even thinner.

Hard to sum up in a few lines... I am trying to find out whether we're providing a good service in terms of education, solely based on stats rather than issues. I can see it as a good point and a bad point, good in that... we get things done, things are working quickly and... staff are happy... the bad in that, well, the training we've given, the things we've asked SLT to do aren't working... for instance, knowing the basis of the issues - I know alot are re-plugging in things for lessons which grinds my gears because they should never be unplugged.
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 2nd November 2010 at 12:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think an important point will be getting quotes and statistics from your end users will go a long way to helping your case. Having raw figures will not tell the complete story, 80% of jobs in 20 minutes: What jobs? If these were 20 mins to change a password... run for the hills! The other 20%: Were these all server rebuilds which will have taken days?

My point is just stats will not help, quotes and evidence will.

To answer your question, that is not a bad statistic!

Thank Post
    I don't want to post too much on here... could be prying eyes, I will put a survey out this week to get some feedback. Alot of the jobs are what i'd call first line, brain meltingly easy jobs but... that's the nature of schools. the other 20% is me doing admin jobs to make teachers lives easier. We rarely get time to do anything on the infrastructure because of the holidays being our time to take holiday.

You're right though, without context the statistic is meaningless... and that's what he will present, infact, even with context it is pretty meaningless without comparison to other schools.

The consultant wants facts not personal statements I think, I could do a survey & I'm fairly confident alot of feedback would be good - not sure it could be used as evidence when he presents his findings to SLT.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    To be fair then, not a very good consultant who bases decisions and performance solely on statistics, particuarly in a people based, rather than a process based, environment like a school.

Thank Post
    I don't know whether I am just missing the point or... if I am being overly pedantic and scrutinizing what he is doing too much. I have every confidence he can see that we're doing a good job, I just can't see how it can influence our SLT. Graphs, pie charts and line charts are great... but without context and data to compare against it all seems pretty pointless...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    GGet in contact with other schools in your area and ask for some statistics from them that you can use as a comparison (assuming they are worse than you!) Or on here as well, that would be a good ask!

Thank Post
    I'd be suprised if schools from around here could give me helpdesk data, to be honest, I'd be suprised if they had a helpdesk in some cases!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Make it up then!

Thank Post
    Here you go some stats for you based on term 1 559 requests 1hr close rate 50%, 24hrs 84%, 5 days 92%
    bad term for us, 1 man down, 1 tech now does 4 lessons a week and myself meeting after meeting for our new campus

It's also scary how much time you can spend just filling out requests etc!!!

12. Thanks to gaz350 from:

dwhyte85 (2nd November 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Were your staff understanding though?

Thank Post
    Thanks for that gaz350, I wish somehow I could gather this anonymously so people wouldn't be afraid to tell... I am not here to judge, just want to know where we are...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What about looking at a few commercial SLAs and seeing what their promises/commitments are? It'd give you something to compare your actual performance against at least.

Thank Post
    I have one proposal and they are so far off what we provide - it's unreal and they would cost the same as to employ us! I am not sure how I could use it to really... show our value though, the indication was that they are industry professionals and we're not (which upset me) and that they would be more expensive, spend less time on site and provide a better service because of the capability... which is poo as we're all very capable. I'm not sure it was meant to come across that way but I took it that way!

The SLAs offered for just phone support were nearly the same as employing us, let alone with 20 hours on-site time (we'd have 112.5 between us)... but, employment is different to a contract is what I'd hear...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast