+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Do you ever run a computer without an antivirus and/or firewall? in General; As the title suggests really. Do you? If so why and if not, why not? I'm just after peoples opinions. ...

Thank Post

Do you ever run a computer without an antivirus and/or firewall?

As the title suggests really. Do you? If so why and if not, why not?

I'm just after peoples opinions.

Thanks,

Dan

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    No, and I can't think of a single good reason to do so... Why on earth would you choose to open up a PC to security attacks?

Thank Post
    Bit of a ridiculous idea if you ask me. I don't see why you would run a PC without either of them?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yep, absolutely.

I have a small network at home with no antivirus or firewall.

Admittedly there's also no connectivity to the outside world whatsoever from it.

I use it as a playground environment.

Thank Post
    I'm glad these are the views of IT Professionals. My Views are exactly the same and I would never run a PC (work or home) without an antivirus or firewall.
    The reason I asked this question is because on a local forum related to computers/tech (but aimed at home users) people 'claiming' to be clued up in IT are offering the advice to home users not to run antiviruses or firewalls as they slow your computer down and you don't really need them. When I pointed this out otherwise I got shouted down for doing so.

I just simply wanted to make sure I was correct.

Thanks,

Dan

Thank Post
    I haven't run an AV/Firewall package in years on my home PC. it just caused constant issues and problems, blocking stuff i wanted, taking up system resources. I let it run a full scan once every week or two, then turn it off again.

In 5 years I've had no attacks, viruses or troubles. The days of people hacking into your PC via unprotected ports is mostly a thing of the past, noone does it anymore, and if they did it would just be to work out how best to send you more spam mails about male enhancement or something.

I have a hardware firewall built into my router, and that is more than enough for me. I don't DL anything I don't recognise and/or trust from anyone, anywhere. And my irregular AV scans haven't turned up a virus in years, the last one it flagged was a false alarm, deciding a mIRC installer i've had for 8 years was a virus created 2 years ago!

The need to keep Antivirus system's running 24/7 is, in my mind for peace of mind for those who want to download whatever they like or have no clue what they're doing. If you are careful with what you DL, and what sites you visit, and trust those who use your machine (aka, yourself and noone else) you should be fine.

7. 2 Thanks to Rydra:

rlweb (6th February 2011), SimpleSi (3rd November 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    Yep, absolutely.

I have a small network at home with no antivirus or firewall.

Admittedly there's also no connectivity to the outside world whatsoever from it.

I use it as a playground environment.
    Well that doesn't count

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    I haven't run an AV/Firewall package in years on my home PC. it just caused constant issues and problems, blocking stuff i wanted, taking up system resources. I let it run a full scan once every week or two, then turn it off again.

In 5 years I've had no attacks, viruses or troubles. The days of people hacking into your PC via unprotected ports is mostly a thing of the past, noone does it anymore, and if they did it would just be to work out how best to send you more spam mails about male enhancement or something.

I have a hardware firewall built into my router, and that is more than enough for me. I don't DL anything I don't recognise and/or trust from anyone, anywhere. And my irregular AV scans haven't turned up a virus in years, the last one it flagged was a false alarm, deciding a mIRC installer i've had for 8 years was a virus created 2 years ago!

The need to keep Antivirus system's running 24/7 is, in my mind for peace of mind for those who want to download whatever they like or have no clue what they're doing. If you are careful with what you DL, and what sites you visit, and trust those who use your machine you should be fine.
    Fair enough. I guess i'll let the comments on the other forum slide.

Thank Post
    What about Ubuntu or other Linux stuff? They always boast being more secure.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NikChillin View Post
    What about Ubuntu or other Linux stuff? They always boast being more secure.
    Sorry I should have mentioned, it's a windows based forum.

Thank Post
    I will however, always recommend a normal home user runs AV/firewall. My wife's laptop has one, and I wouldn't dream of removing it....

Why? Because I don't trust her to always click/download the right thing! And most home users will not click the right things. And it will save me a lot of time and hassle knowing she's 90% safe from idiotic virus attacks.

Thank Post
    I didn't use AV for a long while, never had any issues when it was just me on the PC behind a decent firewall, once other people started using it (teenage relatives) it got AV right away. Amazingly, that's when the viruses started appearing!

I did occasionally do a housecall/hijack this to put my mind at ease but it was only ever minor tracking cookies etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Rydra, you say you haven't been attacked or compromised in years, but honestly, how do you know?
    Yes you have a hardware firewall in the router, but say I somehow managed to get past that, how would you know if I am now doing something on your PC?

I only ask because a few years ago I wiped my PC, started to download the software to reinstall and one site had been compromised so I ended up downloading a legit piece of software that was packed with a trojan too. It was only after installing some anti virus software that it picked up the files or I would have been oblivious. To go on the assumption that if you use trusted sites and trusted downloads is still a bit risky to be honest.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    To go on the assumption that if you use trusted sites and trusted downloads is still a bit risky to be honest.
    And that's why I run AV now regardless

Thank Post
    I'm not a huge Nix user, so this could be a really stupid question, but is OS like Ubuntu etc less prone to virus', like OS X is less prone to virus'?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast