+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
General Chat Thread, Do you ever run a computer without an antivirus and/or firewall? in General; I also find the idea of running your virus scan weekly rather than having real time protection. A week is ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    I also find the idea of running your virus scan weekly rather than having real time protection. A week is plenty of time for a virus to infiltrate your system and wreak havoc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post

The only reason they are 'less prone' is that nobody can be bothered to target a minority of users when they have so many Windows noobs to choose from.
    It's also because the security model is better - few *nix users use root routinely, yet most home users are on administrator accounts all the time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, had a long tube journey to write this, got a bit carried away.

Real-Time scanning is essential
    ---------------------------------------------
    There is a good analogy with vaccination programmes and also condom use vs abstinence around this topic.

Decent AV blocks generic attacks. I've seen a piece of malware slip though LGfL mail filter, past Symantec MSMSE into my mail store and onto my unpatched (we always run a few days behind the releases) clients, where it was identified by Sophos EndPoint Security as suspicious and blocked. A few hours later both Symantec and Sophos had specific detection for it and the mailstores cleaned themselves up.

Nothing to see here move along.

It would have been a major issue without the client protection.

You cannot trust everyone to be as careful as you, thus by allowing your computer to interact with others (websites, friends, email, even yourself when you are in a hurry) you are exposing it to risk. c.f issues with abstinence programmes in fight against STDs.

Running machines without AV also allows for pools of undetected infection, which makes it harder to prevent and deal with outbreaks. Your internet connected PC (even if it is behind a firewall) makes you a global citizen, and you have a shared responsibility to the health of your neighbours computer (metaphorically). Yes sometimes AV product cause collateral damage, however globally this is has less of an impact than running no AV at all.

For those who don't run AV on their CCTV, IPTV, Cashless Catering, Printers, Mobiles, switches. I suggest you consider the trend recently - infrastructure is the next target, and while it may be that national institutions will bear the brunt of the directed attacks, once released, self-replicating code could go anywhere.

The myth of Mac and Linux
    --------------------------------------
    Historically MS-DOS and later, Windows, would execute any code for anyone with full privileges, often simply inserting a disk would be enough. This is why UNIX/MACOS and RISCOS users used to be smug. MAC and RISCOS users were really only protected by their platform's minority status. This all changed about ten years ago with OS X, GNOME/KDE, JavaScript and Flash. However the unix based platforms still do not generally give Joe User permission to edit system files, and thus persistent malware infections are rare. However both UNIX-like systems and WinNT based systems have flaws that allow malicious code to break into the kernel and once there your machine is compromised completely, and only a full offline scan can give you any chance to clean up your system.

There is a reason that the really bad stuff are called root-kits not SYSTEM-kits.

P.

4. 2 Thanks to psydii:

bladedanny (3rd November 2010), Tyiell (11th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Does Eset for mac or anything else provide a method to boot your mac into a pre boot enviroment to run an AV / Malware scan and also recover data, I know when you do a re install it gives you the chance to install keeping the existing installation which then goes into a folder but then if the files are infected, does that mean the OS gets re infected again ??

Thank Post
    I run MS Security Essentials on my home machines, and recommend it to anyone else that asks. It seems a hell of a lot less bloated than most other products.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Having worked in a university, clearing the mess left on student owned computers, I can say that no-one is safe from viruses. You can be as careful as you like, but if there is a security flaw in your OS, you WILL be at risk.

I've seen PhD students break down in tears due to a virus ruining their work.

Anyone who fails to take proper precautions with their computer, much like with sex, is asking for an infection.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Anyone who fails to take proper precautions with their computer, much like with sex, is asking for an infection.
    you can get lost if you think i'm using them microsoft condoms!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I've seen PhD students break down in tears due to a virus ruining their work.
    The first lesson in backing up your work is always the hardest.

Thank Post
    localzuk, I do agree with you.
    Ecpessialy your PC is not safe if it is used by a few people, like in schools, universities and so on. You may know how to protect your PC, e.g. you scan all files with AV, visit trusted sites only, use firewall and etc. But others may not know all this things. Stuff like only one owner but if there are a lot of them...Then its in a high risk of catching "something". I was in a such situation, when my 3 months work was ruined with all OS on my school PC. I had to start from the very beginning.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Does Eset for mac or anything else provide a method to boot your mac into a pre boot enviroment to run an AV / Malware scan and also recover data
    No, but you could do this by installing OS X and any apps you need to a spare external HDD/USB flash drive.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can get to a clean Terminal by booting from the OS X install DVD. From there it may be possible to mount a usb containing the Free Mac Anti-Virus - Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition and launch Sweep.

Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac OS X: Using Sophos Anti-Virus via Terminal

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234