+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Do you ever run a computer without an antivirus and/or firewall? in General; Originally Posted by mattx Really ? A great deal of it is AV vendors etc just desperate to sell you ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Really ? A great deal of it is AV vendors etc just desperate to sell you their products to make money.

George Smith 'Virus Creation Labs: A Journey into the Underground' (VX heavens)

Is a good read.

I've had to clear up mess etc in the past because of basically user stupidity but for IT savy people I personally think it's un-necessary. For my mum and non IT savy people, it's vital.
    Granted, a lot of them are like the WWW-Mafia, scaring you in to paying them protection money, but there some incredibly effective free solutions out there too. I recommend avast.

Thank Post
    How is it viruses spread these days? If it's through applications being copied, installed or downloaded, you could avoid that issue by not letting the OS install any applications (or, iPad-style, only let approved applications be installed). If it's via security holes in the OS then you could make sure your OS stays up-to-date properly. Are there any other ways a virus infects a computer?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    The problem I have with the "I only install from trusted sources" approach, is that you have no way of being certain that the sources security has been breached, thus allowing that installer you're placing your trust in to inject a virus as it goes. And does anybodies PC really slow down that much that they're willing to take the risk?

AVG used to slow my PC down a lot: that was the software's fault, not just because it was antivirus. That is why I now use avast as my run time AV, and I don't notice any considerable slow down.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,197 Times in 1,624 Posts
    I solved the problem with AV slowing my machine down by using MSE at home. It's pretty lightweight.

Having had to unpick a few nasties in my time, never on my kit thankfully, I prefer to have AV on all kit at home that connects to the internet. It's not as if I run any 'heavy duty' software that needs every bit of help it can have to run at a decent speed.

I'm a mere mortal so therefore it is possible my kit will pick a virus and frankly I spend far too much time fixing stuff at work to want to spend my free time doing the same.

rad
    Thank Post
    I dont but do know a small company with 5 pc's and no antivirus. God knows what is on there pc's

Thank Post
    I always do. I'm fairly confident that I wouldnt pick anything up but why take the risk when an AV program is free and doesnt take up too much resources.
    I dont on my Macs though...I realise I should but I dont really know any if I'm honest (in the same vain as AVG)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    I dont on my Macs though...I realise I should but I dont really know any if I'm honest (in the same vain as AVG)
    Sophos for Mac any good for you?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    The problem I have with the "I only install from trusted sources" approach, is that you have no way of being certain that the sources security has been breached, thus allowing that installer you're placing your trust in to inject a virus as it goes. And does anybodies PC really slow down that much that they're willing to take the risk?
    Exactly! You can't trust any websites these days.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ClamXav for my Macs, mainly to catch viruses and nasty code in documents which pass through my systems on to elsewhere. Remember that even if they don't kill your machine because you are patched / using a low risk OS* then it may kill others. I catch about 4 a month at the moment.

*discussion of the lowness of risk of the relevant OSes have been done to death, but no OS is going to be safe forever!

Thank Post
    we dont run any AV on our virtual desktops as they are read only, the servers do have Av so any files being saved are scanned also email and internet is scanned at the boundry

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ESET is now out for Macs too.

12. Thanks to mark from:

mac_shinobi (11th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nope, All of my computers/servers at home are Installed with ESET NOD 32 Anti-Virus.

Admittidly i have run a desktop in the past which no anti-virus on (just firewall) and i never had any virus's etc.

James.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by syed2011 View Post
    If you browse clean sites then you won't hv to worry about virus attacks.
    But what if those "trusted" sites are hacked too? you will never know what hackers can think out.....Sometimes even owners of websites can not know about whats going on...As I have already said, one of my colleagues cought few viruses on his internet provider's site. He spent then 2 days to clean all system with AVZ, dr.web and Ksapersky. So in my opinion you can get virus anywhere in the internet. Or from your friend's usb stick.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    ClamXav for my Macs, mainly to catch viruses and nasty code in documents which pass through my systems on to elsewhere. Remember that even if they don't kill your machine because you are patched / using a low risk OS* then it may kill others. I catch about 4 a month at the moment.

*discussion of the lowness of risk of the relevant OSes have been done to death, but no OS is going to be safe forever!
    I've done the same and have never found anything and although it does not run in the background like other AV products I run it about once a week and since having it for over 2 years have never found anything

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts

17. Thanks to Arthur from:

Elison (8th November 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast