+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Cargo plane 'bomb' packed into toner cartridge in General; I know HP are always warning me about buying 3rd party toners, but this is ridiculous! BBC News: UK cargo ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts

Cargo plane 'bomb' packed into toner cartridge

I know HP are always warning me about buying 3rd party toners, but this is ridiculous!

BBC News: UK cargo plane device was bomb - British Government

According to Dubai police, the explosives were inside the toner cartridge of a printer, placed in a cardboard box containing English-language books and souvenirs.

The cartridge contained PETN and plastic explosives mixed with another explosive, lead azide, they said.

"The device was prepared in a professional manner and equipped with an electrical circuit linked to a mobile telephone [Sim] card concealed in the printer," the police said.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    lol, funny that because that, above, is the condition I receive some of ours in!

Thank Post
    Ours cost a bomb!

Thank Post
    I didn't know you could get white toner, just need to look for some black paper now!

Thank Post
    Always said we printed in B+W!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    BBC News have a gallery for the story now... and it WAS an HP printer!

BBC News - In pictures: Plane bomb plot

Clever disguise when you think about it - putting the electronics in a place where you would naturally expect to find them explains how they got through the X-ray scanners. I wonder if a cartridge full of toner looks the same as explosives on an X-ray?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Having worked in airport security I'd say a huge well done to the team who discovered and safely handled this - just think of the devestation that would have ensued had it gone as planned by the bloddy terrorists.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MI5 had a tip-of from the Saudi authorities - they were told what to look for.

And the stupid journalists can't even label photographs properly. Saw one on the BBC site that showed the mobile phone circuit board attached to the printer and they called it a toner cartridge....

Thank Post
    Id just like to say well done to the media for giving the 'terrorists' info as to what was found, and that it wasn't found by all our sophisticated technology, sniffer dogs, or anything else. It was found because of a tip off. They just need to be a little more tight lipped.
    So, the 'terrorists' now know how far the bombs got before they where found, how they where found, and which ones where found. Who knows how many the 'terrorists' actually sent. They now know how to do a better job next time.
    They now know they can easily get a bomb either into a british airport, or over british airspace and detonate it. Basically the media have helped the 'terrorists' by giving them the information that they need to do a better job next time.

I say 'terrorists' in quotations, because I believe that this was all in some way planned by the authorities.

Stay scared everyone!!!

Thank Post
    It was 'found' because a Saudi double agent gave them the tracking numbers. ie an exact description of where to find the bomb. Now you can't put printer cartridges in your hand luggage and there are restrictions on their import. Expect them to be much more expensive. In fact expect all imported goods to be much more expensive when they all have to be scanned by explosives scanners that cost a million pounds each. I'm with O'Leary on this one.

Cargo plane bomb plot: passengers to face 'ludicrous security measures' - Telegraph

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    After the pants bomb debacle I'm already surprised that they're not making us all fly nude.

Now I can't even take a toner cartridge with me. No one tell them about the incendiary potential of Li-ion batteries or we'll be leaving anything electrical behind.

Thank Post
    I also think this has all been planned and executed by the authorities

13. Thanks to Pyroman from:

CapEnd (2nd November 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    I also think this has all been planned and executed by the authorities
    I have my doubts. Planning a conspiracy like this would require a lot of competence, as well as being extremely careful to avoid leaks. I just don't think the authorities are that confident, nor that motivated to raise the cost of printer cartridges.

If they're trying to keep everyone scared there would be much, much more effective ways to do it.

Thank Post
    it's little things they can bring in, like the underwear bomber last christmas and literally the next day they said oh we're going to install these see-through-clothing scanners and everyone goes oh yes lets allow more invasion of privacy because we'll have more illusion of safety. it's all chipping away at our freedoms soon we'll all be microchipped!

16. Thanks to Pyroman from:

CapEnd (2nd November 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    it's little things they can bring in, like the underwear bomber last christmas and literally the next day they said oh we're going to install these see-through-clothing scanners and everyone goes oh yes lets allow more invasion of privacy because we'll have more illusion of safety. it's all chipping away at our freedoms soon we'll all be microchipped!
    Read Little Brother. Kick your paranoia up a notch.

The moment they start wanting to put microchips or GPS trackers on us I'm going on the run.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast