+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, weight loss in General; following some less than flattering photos of myself.. ive decided that I really need to get a grip and lose ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

weight loss

following some less than flattering photos of myself.. ive decided that I really need to get a grip and lose some of this weight Ive collected over the last 10 years..

Im 6ft and pretty broad, grew up playing rugby so still got some of the shape from that..

I was 78KG when I left school, 10 years ago, and when it hit home was when the scales tipped the balance at 101Kg the other week..

My physical excersise from when I was at school has gone from 3 sports and 5 sessions a week to 0.. I started smoking at 13/14 but I put on a good stone after quitting smoking when I was 21

Ive managed to get myself from 101Kg to 96kg in 3weeks, by changing my eating habits and cutting out midweek driking.. (I used to drink 6 beers / bottle of wine a night easy).. Ive started a 5 aside league, and strarted some light training with another football club recently too..

I want to seriously lose the full belly and man tits.. is joining a gym the only solution? If I keep up with the health(er) eating plan and the cut down drinking, will I continue to lose the wieght or will it level out..

Any tips welcome.. kinda embaressed posting this so I guess thats step one of getting over a problem eh.. "My names Rabbie and Im a fatB$trd!"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    following some less than flattering photos of myself.. ive decided that I really need to get a grip and lose some of this weight Ive collected over the last 10 years..

Im 6ft and pretty broad, grew up playing rugby so still got some of the shape from that..

I was 78KG when I left school, 10 years ago, and when it hit home was when the scales tipped the balance at 101Kg the other week..

My physical excersise from when I was at school has gone from 3 sports and 5 sessions a week to 0.. I started smoking at 13/14 but I put on a good stone after quitting smoking when I was 21

Ive managed to get myself from 101Kg to 96kg in 3weeks, by changing my eating habits and cutting out midweek driking.. (I used to drink 6 beers / bottle of wine a night easy).. Ive started a 5 aside league, and strarted some light training with another football club recently too..

I want to seriously lose the full belly and man tits.. is joining a gym the only solution? If I keep up with the health(er) eating plan and the cut down drinking, will I continue to lose the wieght or will it level out..

Any tips welcome.. kinda embaressed posting this so I guess thats step one of getting over a problem eh.. "My names Rabbie and Im a fatB$trd!"
    hey

i lost 5 stone in 10 weeks about 2 years ago and have kept it off also !!! now happy and slim lol i must add lol
    i did it using this

Cambridge Weight Plan: a flexible range of weight management programmes aimed at both men and women

you just have to make sure once you come of them you eat sensible for good no crap and i exercise regular now also but its a quick fast way

kelly

Thank Post
    Pancreatitis !! I lost 2.5 stone in 3 weeks !!!! Don't recommend it though :-))

4. Thanks to Brpilot99 from:

RabbieBurns (31st October 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brpilot99 View Post
    Pancreatitis !! I lost 2.5 stone in 3 weeks !!!! Don't recommend it though :-))
    Sounds good.. Can I buy that over the counter? ;p

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    I wouldnt advise something like the Cambridge Diet - it may have worked for BIST but many people put the weight back on very quickly.
    You will continue to lose weight but yes, eventually you will slow down or plateau, at which time you will need to reduce your intake of fatty, sugary foods and drink!
    A good method is to remove a third of what you put on your plate. Do make sure that you keep the balance of foods right though. This might give you an idea:
    http://www.food.gov.uk/images/pagefu...largefeb10.jpg
    The problem with a calorie controlled diet is that you do need to make sure that you are eating a range of foods. Just counting calories will not provide a balanced diet as you could eat 4 Mars Bars a day and lose weight - dont think you would be very healthy though!!

7. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    My wife told me she was going on a diet. I told her that really didn't need to as really suits being chubby. Didn't speak to me for days after that, dunno why. A guy can't give his wife a compliment these days.

Anyways, she ended up going to Slimming World (Slimming World - because you're amazing) and achieving her target weight quite readily. More importantly, she hasn't put it back on again because they give you a sensible diet plan that you can stick to. As Witch says, trouble with crash diets like the Cambridge is that they are not really sustainable and you end putting the weight back on.

Wife's talking to me again now and even I'm on a diet (well, I'm on two actually - you don't get enough to eat on one do you?)

9. 2 Thanks to EdWhittaker:

RabbieBurns (31st October 2010), tech_guy (30th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I used an online nutrition/calorie tracker for 2 years back in uni, to gain weight. Worked well. Nothing fancy needed from me, eating-wise, it just made sure I paid attention to my intake.

11. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post
    If you talk to top sports people it really comes down to a basic burn more than you are putting in so it forces the body to burn fat. You still have to change your eating habits which is what all these slimming world places (yes, my wife goes to one) educate you to do but that alone will not do it. You have to up the rate at which you burn the fat and reduce the amount you feed the engine...simple...the hardes bit I would think is the mental resolve to stay on track and not kid yourself you are doing the right things...its hard so all the best of luck.

13. Thanks to TechSupp from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    I had gestational diabetes when expecting my son and had to stick to a pretty strict diet. The upside was that I gained very little weight and my husband, who went on the diet too, lost a load of weight.

It was very easy and healthy... I was told to stick to "The rule of 5s"
    - Less than 5% fat
    - Less than 5% sugar
    - More than 5% fibre

You end up reading a lot of packets, and bananas were off the menu.

I still use it now when reversing the effects of Christmas!

15. 2 Thanks to elsiegee40:

Little-Miss (31st October 2010), RabbieBurns (31st October 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rabbie my situation is identical, however I started smoking at 10, when I left school I was 85 Kilos (although a rugby player physique - could do the 100m dash in 11.9 seconds). I joined a rugby team with my uni (big mistake) as we ended up going out for takeaways every night, drank every night and I piled on 35kgs whilst at uni over 3 years, but still had a decent physique, and it put me to 120kgs, I then gave up smoking at 22 when I found out I was going to become a dad and piled on a further 15kgs as my appetite became voracious, I was famished ALL the time, and I got depressed after my ex split and added another 5 kilos. It hit home when I got on the scales and realised just how much I did put on!!

The rugby team and giving smoking caused me to put most of the weight on, however I have made a pledge that by next new year (the one from 2011 - 2012) I will be back to my leaving school weight (or within 10 kilos of it!).

I do martial arts 3-4 times a week and cycle a tonne but its coming off slowly, which I suppose is the best way!

17. Thanks to nephilim from:

Thank Post
    I can't do weight in kilos so I have no idea what you are all talking about. Whatever happened to stones and pounds?

19. 3 Thanks to witch:

ButterflyMoon (9th November 2010), Rawns (30th June 2011), speckytecky (11th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I know how to do stones and lbs...

Left school at 13 stone 4lbs
    End of uni I was 18 stone 10lbs
    After giving up smoking and when found out I was gonna be a dad - 21 stone 3lbs
    After depression - 22 stone

Now at 20 stone 6lbs

That better for you witch?

Thank Post
    Oh ta - but how tall are you?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    6ft on the dot...I left school being 5ft 10

Thank Post
    I had the same problem, suddenly realised that I was much larger than I thought I was and needed to loose weight. It's easy to want a quick fix but you really need to make a lifestyle change and tbh you're almost there, realization is a massive step (I hate that statement but it’s true). In the end I didn't have to change much I just stopped drinking in the week (save that joy for the weekend) cut out the takeaways and avoided snacking or just eat fruit or fig rolls between meals. I then started going to spinning classes at the gym I was a bit sceptical at first but a mate recommended it it really is one of the best ways to get lots of exercise in fast and as it's instructor lead I don't get chance to slack which is exactly what I need. At 30 mins a session it doesn't consume allot of time either. 5 aside footy is also great if you get stuck in.
    The most important thing to remember is that there really isn't a 'good' healthy quick fix and any 'quick' fixes won't last last without lifestyle change.

That worked for me and that's all I can offer.

24. Thanks to cookie_monster from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast