+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, weight loss in General; I have a cooked breakfast every day, three course lunch and a three course dinner every day. I weigh 10st ...
    Thank Post
    I have a cooked breakfast every day, three course lunch and a three course dinner every day. I weigh 10st at 5ft 5". I keep in shape by going on a running machine every sunday afternoon for about one hour doing about 8 minute per mile. Rowing machine for half an hour and thats it.

I dont have much experiance with having to loose weight but a teacher here who lost about 6 stone in a year just by taking the sunday paper on a cycling machine and reading the paper from front to back every sunday.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 View Post
    Just read a few pages of this thread as im in the same situation here only Im 21, 5ft 10" and recently finished university (never helps your eating habbits does it) never did any exercise etc..... the usual excuses!

Well I decided to do something about my weight in January this year, just under 4weeks ago. I brought a set of good digital scales first off (we didnt have any in the house) and weighed in at 160lbs / 18.5stone / 117KG
    Are you sure your measurements are correct? I weighed in at 212lbs on my scales and I've just done a conversion online which came in at 15.8st / 96.2kg, which I know to fairly spot on.

Thank Post
    Yeh, those weights are off, im 5'6" 12 stone, 168lbs or 76Kg - I would recommend getting a good BMI done and a test to see what % of fat is around your heart.

EDIT - its probably a typo as 260 lbs is 18.5 stone
    Last edited by CHR1S; 8th February 2011 at 03:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Yeh, those weights are off, im 5'6" 12 stone, 168lbs or 76Kg - I would recommend getting a good BMI done and a test to see what % of fat is around your heart.

EDIT - its probably a typo as 260 lbs is 18.5 stone
    Agreed, I didn't think of a typo. In that case, getting down to 146.5lbs is excellent. Well done mate.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,596 Posts
    I've shed a load of weight (1 stone since Christmas) after watching the BBC's "Ten things you ought to know about dieting" (title may not be exactly correct) early in the New Year.

The key advice was:

1. Don't skip meals
    2. Protein makes you feel full for longer
    3. Soup in its liquidised form makes you feel full for longer than the equivalent meal that you have to cut and chew
    4. Calcium helps you to excrete fat, so a diet high in low-fat dairy is good.
    5. Calories count - cut out snacks and reduce portion sizes
    6. Exercise raises your metabolism and continues to be effective after the time that you actually exercise. Try not to sit still too much!

So now, for me:

Breakfast = Poached egg on dry wholemeal toast (you don't need butter, the yolk moisturises the toast), 250ml glass of orange juice, 250ml glass of skimmed milk, black coffee (I never took milk in coffee anyway)
    Lunch = Homemade soup taken to work in a flask like this... yummy thick ones like Lentil, tomato and rosemary (with a little bacon) or Broccoli and Stilton.
    Dinner = Usual meal, watching but not being obsessive about the quantity, with low fat yoghurt for pudding.

My Breakfast and Lunch fill me up and I haven't indulged in the staff room choccie biscuit supply yet this term!

I am doing more exercise and I have to add that I've also cut back on the alcohol, restricting myself to wine at weekends... that's probably helped too!
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 8th February 2011 at 03:58 PM.

6. 2 Thanks to elsiegee40:

CHR1S (8th February 2011), DAZZD88 (8th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes it was a typo guys thanks, ive corrected it now!

Who else agrees BMI is the most stupid thing ever? It doesnt take into account any muscle, I need to be under 11.5stone to just get off "overweight" thats not exactly mid range territory either, thats the max for a healthy person!

Im doing pretty much the same as you elise, and I aim to burn 300cals per workout 4-5 times per week altho thats often slipped. Ive had days where ive been over but not many, still had takeaways, some energy drinks (monster) and pub grub too but normly eat very little of a day, breakfast- 1.5 weetabix and semi skimmed milk, lunch either some soup in a flask or wholewheat bap with some chicken or turkey and low salt butter. Drink mainly water sometimes a few cups of tea.

One advantage I have is I dont drink

Thank Post
    I've not read all this thread so sorry if I repeat what's been said. I gained 1.5 stone between November and the end of December, I have managed to lose about a stone since then, i'm now 36, 5'10" and 15st 4lb.

I have made a bet with my sister that we can give up chocolate for a year, so far so good, have cut down on crisps & cakes, and excersise about 4 times a week, circuits x 3 and 1 spinning class. I have nocied that over the last couple of weeks I am losing inches and not much weight, but i'm sure the weight loss will catch up soon As has been previously said BMI = bulls*** I dont think i've been anywhere near the 11 stone I "should" be since I was about 14 years old.

One weight loss tip to live by - "Drink to only get drunk" If your intention is not to get drunk then Beer/Wine= calories, as I very rarely get drunk I don't have the added calories my friends do by drinking at home etc. When losing weight Binge drinking is the only way to go

Thank Post
    Might as well join in with this :-)

I've been doing Weightwatchers for about 3 weeks now (third weigh in tonight *crosses fingers*), and I've had 9.5lbs off so far, hoping for another 2 tonight (won't say what my starting weight was as I'm very embarassed by it).

Been doing the same as everyone else really. Started using the Gym at work 2/3 times a week (burning about 600 calories in 40 minutes at the moment). Playing football 1/2 a week, even did the parkrun the other week for the first time (might go again this weekend) and the golf season has now restarted, so it's all ways of burning off excess calories and it seems to be working so far.

Biggest change I've made is cutting out bread and stopping drinking during the week. By cutting out bread I'm also cutting out most of my butter consumption, as my favourite snack was a couple of pieces of bread and butter. In addition, me and the mrs sit down every saturday night and plan our meals for the next week then get a tesco's online order placed. That way we can't be distracted by supposed "great offers" on things that we don't really need which aren't actually that good for us. I'm also tracking my intake using the weightwatchers app for iphone, which again I am finding incredibly useful as having a written record of what I'm eating and drinking is a great deterrent.

Now I'm eating, Porridge made with semi skimmed milk for breakfast. Snack of a yoghurt, can of diet coke and a weightwatchers oatey bar thing at break. Lunch is a tin of Weightwatchers soup and then it's a weightwatchers recipe/bbc good food mag recipe for tea.

Long may it continue :-) Not set any targets, just taking it half a stone at a time.

Thank Post
    Actually there was a typo in mine too, it shouldn't say BMI it should say BF% (as in Body Fat %)... BMI's are far to general to be of any use!

Thank Post
    My two pence.

Breakfast eat Porridge.. slow releases energy throughout the morning. I personally don't like it, but I normally just have a bananna or something.
    I take in to work a bumper pack of bannas, apples and oranges -then snack as much as I like!
    A good formula is calorie intake - exersise - 2000 = should give a good guess. (Just because you went for a 20 minute run, doesn't mean you get a take away!)
    Running & Swimming are the best ways to shift weight quick.
    Going to the gym you will probably put weight on to begin with. As muscle weighs more than fat, doing loads of weights will make you heavier! But will burn fat... it's just a lot of people who start going to the gym give up due to that reason.

I play football most evenings so I will eat whole wheat rice / pasta & chicken for lunch, then I will have enough carbs for energy for my evening activities. Avoid eating carbs late on, try eat them as early as possible. Then avoid white bread, pasta, rice - go for whole wheat.

Thank Post
    Weigh in tonight..... another 3.5lb's off :-) I want that 1 stone award next week!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain.Faulkner View Post
    Weigh in tonight..... another 3.5lb's off :-) I want that 1 stone award next week!
    Im sure youl do it, renember always weigh-in of a morning in your birthday suit to get a proper reading otherwise youll prob see a couple more lbs on of a night (having eaten only a few hours ago)

Checked this morning ive now reached the 1stone mark

Ordering one of those flasks suggested by elsiegee for food, I have some heinz soup with me toady in a normal stainless steel flask which is good to keep it warm but also means using another cup or bowl and having to carry a spoon too. Will be making some of my own soups of the weekend to keep and reheat during the week too! As for breakfast im still on the weetabix but just buying the large 48packs of saindsburys own works out very cheap, much cheaper then cereal!
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 9th February 2011 at 09:46 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    well done to you all - but elsiegee - I met you at BETT and you looked extremly slim to me then - where on earth has this weight loss come from?!
    As for exercise - here is a very interesting article:
    Short bursts of exercise will make you fitter quicker - Health News, Health & Families - The Independent
    Basically it is saying that you need to exercise hard for short bursts. It mentions cycling but I can confirm that the same applies to running - a while ago I was running 3 or 4 times a week for about 40 mins but I didnt get noticeably fitter, or thinner!

I maintain my weight (not that I know what that is, I havent had any scales for about 10 years - I used to be buliemic and looking at the scales leads to that sort of madness) by exercise and restraint. I do three tough classes a week and walk the dog twice a day.
    However, the staffroom choccy biccies are a temptation - I don't eat them because I am hungry - but because I want too - which is odd as we don't have biscuits and cakes in the house at home

Thank Post
    Weightwatchers new ProPoints plan seems to be working, as does cutting out alcohol during the week, and replacing non-healthy stuff with light/low-fat etc things - skimmed milk, extra extra light philadelphia, etc.

Some of the WW foods and snacks are actually quite tasty too

We don't really have chocolate or biscuits in our house. The only snacky things we keep are Quavers and French Fries, which are less than 100 calories per bag and are about 1-2 points.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thepineapplehead View Post
    Weightwatchers new ProPoints plan seems to be working, as does cutting out alcohol during the week, and replacing non-healthy stuff with light/low-fat etc things - skimmed milk, extra extra light philadelphia, etc.

Some of the WW foods and snacks are actually quite tasty too

We don't really have chocolate or biscuits in our house. The only snacky things we keep are Quavers and French Fries, which are less than 100 calories per bag and are about 1-2 points.
    That's what I'm doing as well, but I get 63 points per day and I'm struggling to use them all!! I buy the Weightwatchers toffee bar things for my mid morning snack and they're quite tasty. Plus the recipe's from WW's cookbooks are pretty nice as well. Extra Light Philadelphia and breadsticks is my other snack of choice now :-)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast