+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, weight loss in General; It's not so much the bread and the pasta that's the problem, it's what you put with them that does ...
    Thank Post
    It's not so much the bread and the pasta that's the problem, it's what you put with them that does the damage. Change the bread to anything wholegrain and 'seedy' and use wholemeal pasta. Change the spread to one of the low fat varieties and use it sparingly on the bread, and use tomato based pasta sauces, preferably home made (or low fat bought varieties if you must).

There's some really good advice in this thread, but basically it's a change in lifestyle to a more healthy 'diet' plus exercise that is needed, rather than a 'crash' or 'fad' diet. Trouble is that knowing this, and carrying it through, are two different things!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Can't shift an ounce of it though :/ I get away with it slightly being 6'4" but still would also like to shift the gut. Exercise doesn't work for me, working 10 hour days in a warehouse did nothing for my weight. .
    Bit odd that you dont believe your doctor when you are definitely having trouble losing weight now!
    I would suggest that you are eating TOO MUCH bread and pasta. We do need carbs, but nowhere near as many as we actually eat. Pay attention to portion size and you will lose weight. Less in means less on!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't actually eat that much. Portions are reasonable - it's typically lasagne, bolognese, pasta salads, tuna, steak, chicken and turkey. I didn't mean that I don't believe what the doctor is saying, I'm fairly sure it's correct. It's that I don't subscribe to all the rubbish that is fed to us via the media about what's good and what's bad for you. Just like some of the utter TRIPE along the lines of "eating peanuts when pregnant will mean an allergy for your child" if anyone tells me that staple foods are bad for you will be instantly ignored

Worked out a couple of weeks ago that my average daily calorific intake is around 2200, less at weekends. Easily burn that off per day. Everyone is different - for instance there won't be many people here faster than me over a 100m sprint

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Good site I use to monitor my weight loss is Burn Fat, Lose Weight, and Gain Muscle - DailyBurn I seemed to have fallen completly off the wagon this last month. Think a good reboot is required and try and get back on the plan etc.

Russ

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post

Worked out a couple of weeks ago that my average daily calorific intake is around 2200, less at weekends. Easily burn that off per day. Everyone is different - for instance there won't be many people here faster than me over a 100m sprint
    Ah, I see
    Your calorie intake is quite low for a man, especially one as tall as you so it may be that your body is turning every calorie into fat because it is afraid of starving.
    This site might be of interest
    Caloric Needs - How to Calculate Your Caloric Needs

You may need to actually eat more - but not carbs!!

6. Thanks to witch from:

synaesthesia (7th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Never knew that, Witch. Will read up on it some more

Thank Post
    The problem with dieting is that people struggle with the transition of going from 3 large meals a day + snacks to eating 5-6 healthy meals. In an ideal world we should have simple carbs post-workout & complex carbs only in a morning & pre-workout while the rest of our meals are high in protein & accompanied by healthy fats.

The best way for a beginner to lose weight is for them to eat below maintenance calories. It will slowly prize you off eating junk & move you toward a healthier lifestyle while losing weight. The first step is to Google "Maintenance Calorie Calculator". It will ask you for various bits of information like your age, height, weight, exercise you do e.t.c. You should be left with your maintenance calories -300 from the total and that is your new calorie goal! Every day aim for no-more than those calories & that's it!

Every 4-5 weeks you'll need to re-evaluate your calorie goal with the steps above as when you become lighter you'll need less calories. Remember, almost everything contains calories! Sauces, drinks e.t.c. make sure you count them all.

If you need any more help throw me a PM! I do professional nutrition and work-out plans to suit your lifestyle. Whether it be to lose weight, gain muscle or just become healthier in general.

9. Thanks to Haux from:

RabbieBurns (9th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Haux View Post
    The best way for a beginner to lose weight is for them to eat below maintenance calories. It will slowly prize you off eating junk & move you toward a healthier lifestyle while losing weight.
    well, yes, unless you eat your daily calorie intake in Mars Bars! You might lose weight due to the lower calorie intake, but it wouldnt be very healthy, would it!!
    I know someone who did this - they did lose weight but looked thoroughly unhealthy.

Thank Post
    Obviously use a little common sense lol e.g. try get some vegetables & fruit in there, meat (non-processed) e.t.c.
    Last edited by Haux; 9th November 2010 at 12:02 PM.

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    There is a nice app for any Android users, with accompanying website

Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com

Thank Post
    Didn’t read the whole thread so apologies if I am repeating something already said!
    These are tips I found useful and seemed to work for me, hope they help.

Losing weight is easy, losing weight healthily isn’t.. and keeping the weight off is even harder!!

To put it simply, you eat less calories than your body needs in a day. The fact of the matter is that its down to what you eat as well.

Alcohol is a big no no! Your body metabolises the sugar (and all it is, is sugar) very efficiently and uses the energy from this first. This means that any foods you eat around the same time is almost certainly converted to stored energy and potentially fat!

Get a healthy balance! Eat all the fruit/veg/salad you can fit in And eat lean meats and Quorn based products (very good for you non veggies). Nuts and seed are a great snack food but avoid the salt. Listen to your cravings; if you need something in your diet eat it (no hamburgers are not a craving!!)

Exercise regularly, I ran for 20 mins every other day, not only did it help me drop a lot of weight (2.5 stone) it improved my overall health. My asthma improved, I was ill less... my knees gave in tho

Keep a diary, what you eat, when you eat, when you exercise and it becomes much easier.

Build muscle! Muscle uses more calories to maintain than fat (obviously) so increasing your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) meaning you can eat more and stay thinner without as much effort in the long run

Rest, don’t diet constantly! Take a weekend off and enjoy your normal food. This stops your body becoming too efficient with the little food you eat and gives you a mental break from the diet.

Try to enjoy it, it makes it easier............

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well I started the other week working alongside Mrs E who has just started the Rosemary Conley diet plan. She is doing this and excercising 3 times week (Zumba, Step and fitness class). She has two weeks at 1200 calories (I have 1400) and excercise as well.

To do my fitness stuff I've just bought a kettlebell from Web hosting, domain name registration and web services by 1&1 Internet (sorry if this is advertising) - I bought the set of DVDs and a 15lbs bell. I was weighing in at 14st 10 - which is 2 stone over where I want to be. I'm quite stocky and am 5'8.5 in height. I used to swim so have large shoulders and used to be a nice triangle from the waist up. I played hockey but give up due to back and knee problems. Back problems stopped be working out - but these are fixed (Thanks Mrs Physio).

Anyway my kettlebell arrived last Thursday so I got up at 6:30 on the Friday to try it out. OMG - I was knackered. The cardio DVD went in and I struggled. Did one set. I didn't realise how unhealthy I was. Friday was just a test for the start of the six week plan (on the Monday).

So a week later and I've just finished my 'Resistance' DVD - in a week I am doing a lot more and am not tired. It is a six week plan, three DVDs - Cardio / Core and Resistance. I decided not to do them in the morning, but do them when I come home and before I have tea.

Have I lost any weight? I'll let you know on Tuesday when I get on my scale - but I;m feeling a lot better and sometimes this is what helps. The first week is always hard and I'm someone who unless sees results fast I give up. The change of food is going well - I'm slightly up on my 1500 calories a day but that's because I'm working out as well.

If anyone is interested, I'll let them know how I am getting on.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Well, this thread kicked my backside into gear and I've got my lardy, lazy body to the gym :-)
    Been going a couple of weeks now, hard work and feel knackered afterwards, but feel so much happier, alert and awake. Gradually losing weight, about 5lbs so far, but a long long way to go on that front...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 1,264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have literally just weighed myself, I am now 131.1Kgs / 288.42lbs / 20st 8.4lbs

Since this thread I have had a hell of a lot of set backs, in terms of being ill, martial arts not being on, as well as some personal issues which have prevented me from going. However my diet is a bit better, just need to get the balance right.

Reality is, I have put on 2lbs since October, but once my physical output goes up again, I will lose it, well thats the hope!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just read a few pages of this thread as im in the same situation here only Im 21, 5ft 10" and recently finished university (never helps your eating habbits does it) never did any exercise etc..... the usual excuses!

Well I decided to do something about my weight in January this year, just under 4weeks ago. I brought a set of good digital scales first off (we didnt have any in the house) and weighed in at 260lbs / 18.5stone / 117KG

Now down to 246.5lbs as of yesterdays weigh-in, im also using a website to track my intake Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com which tracks calories, sodium, sugar. Another great thing about the site is its android and iphone free app which lets you enter on the move quickly and scan most item barcodes. I aim for under 1600cals per day which I almost always achive, ive almost completly cut out pop often go 4-5 days without any and I only ever have diet when I do, drinking loads of water instead plus it keeps you feeling full. If im working out its a little more

My current workout has been using my xbox kinect and two fitness games, yourshape and biggest loser, both track your daily and yourshape lets you view results on their website and create loss challanges against friends! Also enquired about the gym next door to this school during my lucn break today too but its expensive and 35miles from my house, was planning on going during lunch breaks and after school a few times per week. My local gym is 60 less per year with better equiptment.
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 8th February 2011 at 03:39 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast