+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, weight loss in General; Rabbie I limit myself to 1 shot of whiskey a night, and I split it over 3 Whiskey and cokes ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rabbie I limit myself to 1 shot of whiskey a night, and I split it over 3 Whiskey and cokes to make it go further...that way you *think* you are having more than you actually are

2. Thanks to nephilim from:

RabbieBurns (31st October 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Rabbie I limit myself to 1 shot of whiskey a night, and I split it over 3 Whiskey and cokes to make it go further...that way you *think* you are having more than you actually are
    Surely the coke is a lot worse than any alcohol ?

Id rather not have anything than just have 1! Im fine during the week, can not drink quite easily.. but the weekends is a whole different story.. giving up smoking was easy as its pretty much socially unacceptable nowadays, but I cant give up the drink..

But can anyone clarify if having a few straight whiskys is better than having a few beers...

Thank Post
    I went on a weight loss binge after seeing photos of myself on holiday nearly 2 years ago. I just looked like a complete fat knacker!

I got on the scales and they peaked 16.5 stone and I was shocked, really shocked. For my height I should be looking at no more than 14 stone so I knew I must do something about it and quickly.

I had a chat with the missus and although 9 out of 10 of our meals are cooked from fresh and are nutritionally balanced, my issue was quantity. I'd eat what was on my plate and then finish what was left in any of the pans etc. Just being greedy really as I have issues with seeing food going to waste. For lunch I've always just had a simple ham, cheese, chicken or beef salad sandwich with a piece of fruit and a packet of crisps.

On the exercise front I also went from playing footy twice a week to nothing. The most exercise I would do would be to carry a printer across the school once in a while or something similar.

So on the food front I now have slightly less on the plate than I used to and any leftovers are scraped into the compost bin immediately after serving to remove temptation. If I do feel hungry still after eating I just tend to go and have a glass of water as this tends to fill the gap but this is now very rare. We still have the odd take away etc but where we once would have had a meal each, we now just get the one meal and share it.

On the exercise front I got into playing 5 a side once a week at work but the best decision I make was to buy a bike and use it. Work is 6 miles from home and I now cycle to work and back at least 3 times a week. I now get to work and feel awake, sharp and ready to go. But best of all I'm more toned and this I feel has been the key to my weight loss. I even get compliments from the wife now which hasn't happened for years!

Anyway, from my point of view a slight change in eating habit and back on the exercise trail done the trick for me.

Good luck!

5. Thanks to bodminman from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post

Id rather not have anything than just have 1! Im fine during the week, can not drink quite easily.. but the weekends is a whole different story.. giving up smoking was easy as its pretty much socially unacceptable nowadays, but I cant give up the drink..

But can anyone clarify if having a few straight whiskys is better than having a few beers...
    Diet coke should be ok though. I believe slimming world advocate diet coke and say that you can drink as much as you like.

7. Thanks to bodminman from:

Thank Post
    Just looked it up - there are ~170 calories in a pint of lager and ~60 calories in a single measure (25ml) of scotch. As a typical bottle of spirits contains 22 measures, a bottle of scotch is 1320 calories.

9. Thanks to clareq from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post

From a calorie point of view, yes. There are about 70 calories in a whisky and about 140 in a pint of beer. But there is little or no nutrition

11. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rabbie, I meant I have either Coke Zero or Pepsi Max....either are fine with Slimming world (same as Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi are fine)...

Believe me it was hard for me at first as I used to have a full measure and then some in my coke, but reducing it means I can still have the taste, but it lasts longer as well.

13. Thanks to nephilim from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I dont really drink any fizzy drinks, but I wouldnt touch a diet fizzy anything to be honest.. All that nutrasweet chemical stuff is so bad for you. (imo)

Thnk Im gonna go buy a bike tomorrow.. saw someone selling one second hand nearby today so Ill grab that if its still available.

Thank Post
    Rabbie...

Have a look at the calorie counter Calorie Counter Database - Free Online Diet Program.

Me and a mate are currently going to the gym about 4 times a week. I started in April when i was starting to get a gut and now it is non-existant, unless i sit down lol. I am wanting to build myself up and trying to consume about 3000 calories a day but it needs to be healthy calories and my mate is wanting to lose weight which he is doing and very well too. The best way IMO is to do it slowly, dont think by not eating you are going to lose weight, your body will just use your muscle as food, so you will end up with saggy skin and as soon as you start eating again, you will just put the weight back on. Just try and eat healthy. My mate is down to consuming about 1500 calories. Also, i have heard that eating protien instead of carbs can reduce fat and eat carbs on a morning so your body burns them off during the day and at night eat mainly protien, that way the protien isnt converted into Fat, you will just get rid of it in the morning. As for drinking, ok, a couple of beers a week but nothing excessive. Drinking anything fizzy can not ba good for you and there is as much sugar in diet coke as there is in full fat coke.

When you go shopping, just make a note of how much caleroies things have. I found that fruit juice (which is supposed to be good for you) is full of sugars... if you can just drink water.

Hope this helps.

16. Thanks to timbo343 from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Some very good points there. Always 'eat' - don't 'eat and work' or 'eat and read'. You should concentrate on the act of eating - not easy to do in our busy lives, I know

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    I can recommend dysentery as an excellent means of losing weight - I spent five months in Asia in 1988 and contracted both types (amoebic and bacilliary) twice. Was 12 stone to begin with and came back to the UK weighing 9. Ah, the things you do when you're young....
    Whilst that isn't funny really - I lost a stone the other year when I suffered from a urinary tract infection - which apparently is quite rare in men. I was in so much pain I couldn't eat without being sick. Water was the only intake for 3 days - so much water. I still drink water over anything else now.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Carbs are the enemy, nearly 3 stone lighter after going onto a low carb diet, feel great, loads more energy and happier

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Gaining weight is usually a gradual upward slope. What you want to do is turn it into a gradual downward slope that levels off at some point. To do that a "diet" is bad. You need a permanent lifestyle change. It's really quite easy in theory: Change what/how you eat + do more regular exercise. Sticking to it is another matter though and there's probably reasons why you aren't doing those things in the first place. I have the food bit right but exercise beyond walking to work (35mins) is problematic. I loose the will to do it in the winter and in holidays :-S

Thank Post
    I lost 3 stone in as many weeks back in February. What did I do? Buy a house that I hate.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Avoid pasty shops Oliver's Bakery made me 21st. Well, slight correction, I made myself 21st because of their delicious Cornish Pasties and Steak Bakes.
    At least I've lost some - 20 stone now! Can't shift an ounce of it though :/ I get away with it slightly being 6'4" but still would also like to shift the gut. Exercise doesn't work for me, working 10 hour days in a warehouse did nothing for my weight. Trouble is, I refuse to believe some of the rubbish that my doctor and most dietitians come out with - things like "avoid bread and pasta". Add meat to those two, and that's my entire diet.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast