+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, weight loss in General; I have lost 4 lbs in the past few weeks due to living in hotels and doing lots of standing ...

Thank Post
    I have lost 4 lbs in the past few weeks due to living in hotels and doing lots of standing up and lifting.
    Last edited by jedmondson; 30th October 2010 at 09:53 PM.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can recommend dysentery as an excellent means of losing weight - I spent five months in Asia in 1988 and contracted both types (amoebic and bacilliary) twice. Was 12 stone to begin with and came back to the UK weighing 9. Ah, the things you do when you're young....

3. Thanks to tech_guy from:

RabbieBurns (31st October 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the replies.. I guess the dominos I had last night hasnt helped things much..

Started a Saturday morning boxing session as well now, nothing major just a bit of sparring and some cardio work.. Right next to the beach, jumped right in for a swim after I finished..

(Sorry for the Kilos witch, Its all they do over here.. I guess Im about over 15 stone? I was 13ish when I left school, 14 after stopping smoking.)

Im not sure about the whole 'calorie' thing.. How does it work? Are they printed on the side of packets?

How many calories should I be haivng?

For the last few weeks Ive been havnig this:

Breakfast:

A Red or Normal Grapefruit
    250ml ish glass of 100% pure OJ (which seems to have a lot of sugar??)

Lunch:

White bread or a small french stick Sandwhich of light cheese, lettuce and tomato
    Orange or an apple

dinner:

An 2 egg omlette, with tomato / red onion / bit light cheese
    An Orange

I know I should really cut out the cheese, but Im a cheese addict! Ive started buying the light stuff, not sure if that makes much more of a difference.

I only bought 6 beers on friday (instead of the usual case) and a bottle of Glenlivet, which Ill have polished off by this evening.. Im guessing whisky is better for me than beer?

Heading back to Ecosse for xmas, so thats my target date for getting sorted.

If I get the job Im hoping for, its 8KM from where I live (5 miles witch) so I think Ill just get a bike and cycle that every day..

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,315 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Never appologies for using SI units RB, the scientists of the world and anyone not in the UK or US will back you up on that.

As for the diet I don't have direct experience but indirect experience from people around me loosing weight suggests that the key is to keep it achivable. I have just talked to one of them and this is pretty much the gist of what their nutritionalist had to say. Don't skimp lots on meals as it will put your system into calorie retention mode because it senses calloric stress and will imediatly start to stockpile as fat. Eat smaller meals maybe een five smaller helpings during the day.

I would be looking at a fuller breakfast, it really is one of the most important meals of the day as it kick starts your systems to process food and run normally, I would suggest cerial with fruit, keep in mind that the average desert bowl today is three times the volume of plates from even 50 years ago so read the packet to see how much you actually need rather than filling the bowl. By cerial I mean stuff that your average stone age culture could easily identify.

Everones digestion system is basicly unchanged from hundreds and thousands of years ago, it is less skilled at dealing with new technology than your average user as such the best way to keep it hapy is to eat stuff that you can easily identify, basic vegitables, fruit, meat, grain etc. Also drink lots of water which helps everything move along and work at optimal efficiency. A balance of food types is also important and it looks like you may be skipping out on a bit of grain in the above example. The other thing is the less ingredients on packaged food the better, the more funky chemical names in the list the more likely it is to confuse your digestive system.

You want to go for foods with more complex sugars in them like fresh fruit and vegetables, brown bread is better if you can stoamch it because it contains more complex nutrients in it which your system will actually have to work at digesting. White bread is massivly processed and chemicly is almost digested before you stick it in your mouth so takes no effort on the part of your digestion system.

Some recommended stuff was:
    Eggs chicken tuna - protene
    Plenty of water, processing easier
    More whole grains, nut/grain bar for snacks (one in NZ is "Be natural - Trail Bars or Flemings - Body plus)
    two fruit three vegitables every day

Hope that is helpful and good luck.

6. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Cheers!

When Im at work I drink a shitload of Tea (maybe 6+ large mugs a day), would the caffine have a dertimental effect, or would the water from that count?

Brown bread is no problem I can do that. I find wholemeal, or whatever its called with the seeds, gives me really bad heartburn/indigestion.

I do enjoy weetbix, would a couple of them in the morning do for breakfast?

Is rice good for you? I could do a chicken and veg stir fry I guess with rice for dinner..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think the primary concern with tea would be the sugar content depending on how much/little you have, green tea is apparently better (darker the better) and was acually recommended as a good thing (with limited or better no sugar). The water from that should count.

I dislike the wholemeal bread too, it is better as it is closer to the original ingredients but there is no point in eating it if you hate it, brown bread is still better than white bread and you have got to still be able to enjoy your food otherwise it will be far more difficult to stick to it.

Weetbix should be fine sans the sugar again, if it needs to be sweeter add fruit or light yougart to make it more tasty.

Rice is also good, brown instead of white as again brown is less processed, they actually recomend that as a better option than pasta which is highly processed.

Another thing that I was just reminded of was sleep, get at least eight hours a night and that should help matters as it helps keep things working as they should.

9. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I really dont have a sweet tooth so I dont have sugar in my tea / cereal or anything. I am more of a savoury person, so pies / crisps (aka chips?) / etc were more of my weekness... Only chocolate I eat is a Selection Box on xmas day..

My other problem is im really lazy as well.. Cooking a meal from scratch seems to take me so long, I guess I just need to learn disipline...

I thikn also perhaps if I plan dinners for the week it wuold make me more strict.. previously Id just open the fridge, see nothing obvious, and phone in a pizza / curry / both. I used to blame it on working long hours, but I dont really think thats a good enough excuse..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nothing to stop you from cooking a big batch of stuff and chucking it into the fridge/freezer so its easy, that was another thing that was done I beleive. Thick soup or something like that constructed from fresh ingredients then chucked in the fridge and heated/eaten over several days.

Personally I am shocking with stuff like that and will happily just order in far more than I should.

12. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ive tried that before... I just end up eating it all in the one night!

Soup is something I am a master of, and something I guess I should do more often..

Do appettite suppressent drugs / hypnosis work? I guess if I didnt feel hungry then I wouldnt eat..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think that they both may work in certain situations, I would say the hypnosis is likely to be more healthy. Have you tried the whole, wait for 10 minutes after eating before going back for more. This is also where the less processed food comes in as it keeps your digestive system busy longer. This may also be interesting even if on a bit of a tangent Heribert Watzke: The brain in your gut | Video on TED.com .

If you are considering stuff like that I would go and have a chat to you GP as they are likely to have some good input on methods and means. The drugs can be quite dodgey as they use all sorts of different chemical means to achive their goals some of which can be less than good for you so I'd recommend getting input as above before considering them seriously.

Thank Post
    You cant reliably lose weight by dieting alone the body will go into starvation mode and start to burn muscle. You need to persuade it to burn fat instead the best way to do this is to increase you exercise level as well as dieting. By exercising you work your muscles and the body is forced to switch to another energy source - fat. Also as you tone/build muscle this needs more energy so the weight loss should start to accelerate. Do keep in mind that muscle weighs more then fat so dont depend on your scales to tell you about results.

Other tips I have heard as well are if you feel hungry drink a glass of water if you still feel hungry fifteen minutes later eat something.

Take your time with meals there is a delay between being full and feeling full this can easily lead to overeating if you dont take your time.
    Last edited by JJonas; 31st October 2010 at 10:00 AM.

16. Thanks to JJonas from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    FYI I am fine with distances in km, and small weights in kg, just not large weights!
    Your diet looks a bit lacking in complex carbs to me, and in fact a bit light all together. There are plenty of diet plans on the web, here is one:
    Diet Plan For Men
    which should give you an idea of the sorts of things you should be eating.
    You might want to consider frozen meals for one - they are usually highish in fat and salt but certainly better for you than takeaways anyway.

18. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Wasnt being mean, sorry just a joke should have put a smiley! :P

Cheers for the link will check it out..

Theres a personal trainer place up the road and just found a 'first consultation free' flyer, so might give them a visit tomorrow see what they say..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Intersting point on that page re alcohol:

(4) Guide To Alcohol

For many obese men, eliminating alcohol from their diet is a total No-No. So here are the facts. Read them and choose accordingly.

To begin with, alcohol contains zero nutrition. In addition, its calorie content is quite high - about 7 calories per gram. Drinking two regular Martinis a day adds up to about 117,000 calories per year - the equivalent of about 33 pounds of body fat. Two glasses of beer a day amounts to nearly as much. Another problem to consider if you are male, is the contribution that alcohol makes to your fat belly. In my experience, overweight males who give up alcohol experience an immediate reduction in their stomach size, which is very good news for their heart and overall metabolism.
    Is this true, or is that a bit of a generalisation?

Surely beer is different from whisky / spirits etc? I dont think theres any way I could give up alcohol!!

Thank Post
    Unfortunately, all alcohol, be it beer or whisky, are empty calories - all calories, no nutrition.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast