+ Post New Thread
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, weight loss in General; Adapt however you please, but the mushrooms have protein as well. I did it because they were lurking in my ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Adapt however you please, but the mushrooms have protein as well. I did it because they were lurking in my fridge, close to being chucked out. Lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Adapt however you please, but the mushrooms have protein as well. I did it because they were lurking in my fridge, close to being chucked out. Lol
    Mushrooms only contain around 3% protein which is not much... I would add another protein source to make this a balanced meal.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    depends on the mushroom but yes I agree, add lentils or pulses

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    DrCheese: if you are looking to maintain your current weight then cutting out snacks and reducing your carbs intake (NOT giving them up) as well as doing a bit of exercise should do it. Well done! I wish mrwITch, who has a similar amount to lose, would do the same!
    nephilim: as a vegetarian I would definitely add more protein to your lovely soup - maybe a small handful of grated low fat veggy cheese or a bit of quorn

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    BMI is down from 40.58 to 40.33. Been a while since i was under 40 on BMI and I am so close!! I know many of you have said not to go by BMI, but it is one way of encouraging me. The Wii says I have 3 months to reach my target of another 13lbs of weight loss.

I am 297lbs (bang on) but my weight has fluctuated a bit, so whilst I officially lost 1 stone the other day, this is the first time I recorded it on here.

Need to step up my exercise a bit, as I haven't had time / energy.

But nearly at the 21st mark...3 more lbs and thats where I am going to be!

I am doing this in small steps, looking at different measurements for my target.

BMI Target is at 40 and under
    Weight Target is 21st and under
    Waist Target is 46inches and under

Stepping stones, which I will adjust as I am going

Thank Post
    Well done neph - I think BMI is a reasonably good indicator in your case - it is only a problem at lower levels for people who are heavily muscled and come out as obese.
    Keep it up!!

Thank Post
    DrCheese: if you are looking to maintain your current weight then cutting out snacks and reducing your carbs intake (NOT giving them up) as well as doing a bit of exercise should do it. Well done! I wish mrwITch, who has a similar amount to lose, would do the same!
    hehe

I don't think it helped that I used to skip breakfast. The thought of it made me ill. When I did start eating breakfast I would eat 2 or 3 crumpets which is probably a bit overkill to have every single day.

My diet is now just..
    Breakfast: Bowl of decent cereal, none of this "honey nut" or sugary stuff :P Don't go overboard on the portions as that would defeat the point.
    Lunch: Soup. I buy a ton of it at weekends to last the week. I should start making my own but I'm a terrible chef :P
    Dinner: Whatever. Tho I avoid unhealthy takeaways like the plague now. If the others in the house want a takeaway I have a few ready to go healthy meals in the freezer. Add some extra vegetables to them and volia. I used to love adding bread to everything as well, i.e mashed potato + Bread = yum! Useless calories that just aren't needed.

Snacking I keep a bag of apples and oranges around. Fruit usually forefills any sugar cravings.

Drink wise I cut sugar out of my tea/coffee months ago as I realised that drinking 5/6 hot drinks a day with two sugars is a ton of it. Big 2ltr bottles of fat soda is a no no as it's empty calories and choca full of sugar. As for my drinking sessions at the weekends I do still allow myself those as it's no good being thin if my social life suffered. Tho I do sometimes stop drinking beer and move over to diet coke/whiskey mixes. I get a lot of abuse for it tho :P

I'm never really "starving" on this, I do still eat enough to make me full and it's not the end of the world if I deviate from it now and then. I eat out with friends at the weekends and allow myself to eat whatever. If you don't allow yourself cheat meals from time to time you'll go insane!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Breakfast for me is 2 slices of fleishwurst (available from tesco, 2 full sausages for 1.50), and a slice of cheese
    Lunch - Vegetable stir fry with meat of choice / vegetable stew with meat of choice
    Dinner - Meat and Salad or same as lunch as I can make enough to last for dinner as well
    Snacks - Apple between Breakfast and Lunch, Pear between Lunch and Dinner

Drinks - Water, Milk or Cranberry Juice

Do not eat beyond 8:30pm (slowly working my way down to 7pm) or before 7am.

I am not starving on this diet, I am enjoying it. I indulge once a week and this week was 1/4 of a fruit and nut bar (and I am still losing weight as I am not making my diet super strict)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    hehe

I don't think it helped that I used to skip breakfast. The thought of it made me ill. When I did start eating breakfast I would eat 2 or 3 crumpets which is probably a bit overkill to have every single day.

My diet is now just..
    Breakfast: Bowl of decent cereal, none of this "honey nut" or sugary stuff :P Don't go overboard on the portions as that would defeat the point.
    Lunch: Soup. I buy a ton of it at weekends to last the week. I should start making my own but I'm a terrible chef :P
    Dinner: Whatever. Tho I avoid unhealthy takeaways like the plague now. If the others in the house want a takeaway I have a few ready to go healthy meals in the freezer. Add some extra vegetables to them and volia. I used to love adding bread to everything as well, i.e mashed potato + Bread = yum! Useless calories that just aren't needed.

Snacking I keep a bag of apples and oranges around. Fruit usually forefills any sugar cravings.

Drink wise I cut sugar out of my tea/coffee months ago as I realised that drinking 5/6 hot drinks a day with two sugars is a ton of it. Big 2ltr bottles of fat soda is a no no as it's empty calories and choca full of sugar. As for my drinking sessions at the weekends I do still allow myself those as it's no good being thin if my social life suffered. Tho I do sometimes stop drinking beer and move over to diet coke/whiskey mixes. I get a lot of abuse for it tho :P

I'm never really "starving" on this, I do still eat enough to make me full and it's not the end of the world if I deviate from it now and then. I eat out with friends at the weekends and allow myself to eat whatever. If you don't allow yourself cheat meals from time to time you'll go insane!
    Sounds absolutely ideal - it isnt a diet, its a way of life!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you want a good and healthy alternative to a fatty curry

Buy a butternut squash. Peel and Dice it. Boil it (and keep the water), blend up (using the water to loosen the mixture). Put back in the pan, add curry powder, chilli powder, chilli pepper, coriander to taste. Add meat (or veg if a vegetarian) of choice. Absolutely lovely!

*edit*

Also works well with carrots and parsnips as the base, as well as pumpkin, and other sorts of squashes.
    Last edited by nephilim; 12th September 2011 at 11:17 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My new enemy is the Ikea choccys in an orange bag, keep munchin them! Ate almost half a bag last night :P

My BMI is now down to 28.7 and im nly 26lbs away from BMI's "healthy" range rather then my original 80lbs away and BMI of 37 in January
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 13th September 2011 at 07:03 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    After a weekend away in London seeing a show and catching up with family (some over from Oz and some before a posting to Germany) we decided to just enjoy ourselves and not get too stressed. Still, we have been good for the the rest of the week so we are not to bothered about what the result will be when we weigh in tonight.

It is interesting to see the recipes containing lots of chilli, etc. There is quite a strong feeling about thermogenic additions to soups and not all the research backs up the idea of using things which speed up your metabolism or take more energy to process / digest then they contain ... I'd be quite interested to see what others think.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    It is interesting to see the recipes containing lots of chilli, etc. There is quite a strong feeling about thermogenic additions to soups and not all the research backs up the idea of using things which speed up your metabolism or take more energy to process / digest then they contain ... I'd be quite interested to see what others think.
    I've heard of the properties of Chilli, but haven't actively tried it... I think you'd have to watch that the size of your rice portion.

We have started using 'fancy' rice, instead of white rice (we used to use basmati) as the extra fibre helps to fill you up and you can have a smaller portion. I quite like the Wild rice/Camargue Red Rice mix from Waitrose.

I'm back on my soups for lunch again after the summer holidays. I found my energy levels plummeting after lunch and the home-made soups help to keep off the snacks!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When I was younger my mum was going out with a Jamaican man, everything had chilli in it and he was a rake...he hardly worked out, but he ate lots of jerk chicken/beef/lamb as well as other dishes. All containing Scotch Bonnet/Habanero peppers. My neighbour who is from Trinidad swears by adding chilli's to food to help keep the weight off.

I add chilli to the food because I like the kick, but don't go overboard.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have always loved chillis.. I work with a pacific islander who over the last few years has got me up to some pretty decent standard (eg can eat habaneros raw now).. I add chilli to everything I eat, and I cant really say it has much affect with my weight loss.. but I definately reckon it is keeping me healthy.. Havent even had a cold in the 2 years Ive started eating chilli daily.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread