+ Post New Thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, weight loss in General; Time to make a return to this thread :-) As I've said, I started trying to lose weight in earnest ...

Thank Post
    Time to make a return to this thread :-)

As I've said, I started trying to lose weight in earnest at the beginning of this year and was doing pretty well. However a couple of health issues meant I couldn't go to the gym for quite some time so weight loss kind of went on hold...

However, I've been off the booze for a couple of weeks and been back at the gym and weight watchers, and this week I had another 4lb's off and have now lost 2 stone 1.5lbs from my heaviest approximately 2 1/2 years ago :-) It's taken a while, but it's progress. Still no real goals for me, other than to keep a steady downward trend :-)

Thank Post
    *Pah stupid double post*

Thank Post
    Time for an update, after a blip (went to Tenerife for a week) I am back on the healthy eating / training regime. I am now down to 14st. Thats a loss on 1st 4lb since February (when I 1st commented on this thread) and a total loss of 3+ stone in about 18 months. I think 14st is the lightest I can ever remember weighing in my adult life, certainly since I ended my teens. Trying not to give myself too many targets at the moment, weight is coming off nicely and i'm still losing inches off waist etc. Down to a 33" waist from (at my largest) a 40" so very pleased with myself.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well time for an update from me, I have lost 4kgs in 3 days (slight diet change - removed soft drinks, even though I only drank the zero/diet varieties) and using my nintendo Wii. Will be pairing this with the UFC ultimate trainer on the Xbox Kinect as well as cycling and swimming.

Have been given a diet and exercise plan from the Navy which involves reducing my calorific intake by 200 calories a week until I hit 600 calories and exercise as I normally would be, slowly increasing by 30mins - 60 mins a week. So far so good.

Before people spout about how a 600 calorie diet will do me more harm than good, I did not like the idea until I did some research and found the Newcastle University found it beneficial if it is done gradually as stated. In fact it has cured 7 out of 10 people (average, sample group was over 200 people) from type 2 diabetes and after 18 months only 1 went back on the diabetes medication because they reverted to their old ways.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Well time for an update from me, I have lost 4kgs in 3 days (slight diet change - removed soft drinks, even though I only drank the zero/diet varieties) and using my nintendo Wii. Will be pairing this with the UFC ultimate trainer on the Xbox Kinect as well as cycling and swimming.

Have been given a diet and exercise plan from the Navy which involves reducing my calorific intake by 200 calories a week until I hit 600 calories and exercise as I normally would be, slowly increasing by 30mins - 60 mins a week. So far so good.

Before people spout about how a 600 calorie diet will do me more harm than good, I did not like the idea until I did some research and found the Newcastle University found it beneficial if it is done gradually as stated. In fact it has cured 7 out of 10 people (average, sample group was over 200 people) from type 2 diabetes and after 18 months only 1 went back on the diabetes medication because they reverted to their old ways.
    Can you link to the research? This smells like a diet for targeted issues and not general well being. I'd make sure you are using a good multivitamin on a diet that low in calories.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned it on here but since early July I have been using http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk

It basically a database of food, calories, % fat, protein, carbs. The weight loss philosophy is calories in - calories spent, the only real way to lose weight IMHO. I have lost 21 lbs since the end of June. A steady 2 lb a week with little difficulty.

It's my second stint on the site from being 16st plus last June. Mainly due to steroids and ill health. I'm really in the right frame of mind to get to my target of 12 st (initially) and that is the where it all hangs, if you are not committed to any type of diet, it won't work.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Been to the Dr and explained about it. He is aware of the diet and said it is a diet targeted for seriously obese people (like myself), those with a fatty liver and those with type 2 diabetes. He has also given me a list of vitamins to take with it.

*edit*

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/pr...ype-2-diabetes

Link to the first press release, the study has since gone into phase 2 and increased number of people.
    Last edited by nephilim; 25th August 2011 at 09:37 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    600cals per day is crazy low! Ive now lost 53lbs since Jan on 1500cals per day + exercise, slowed down abit recently as my food choices haven't been great this summer lots of bbqs and in hot weather ive not been to the gym much as its a cheap gym with no proper air con, I already have sweat visibly running down my chest during a good workout in cooler conditions lol.

With such low intake and exercise on top youll end up burning muscle and putting your body into starvation so it will try to store much food as possible into fat. The high quick weight loss at the start will be mainly water weight you have been maintaning I lost 12lbs in the first week and never lost more then 2.5lbs after that in 1 week.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ Is a great site ive been using, their database has almost every food you can think of and you can use their app and barcode scanner to quickly add food or see its content, it will also let you view graphs of your progress, exercise and calorie intake over the last year.
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 25th August 2011 at 10:51 AM.

9. Thanks to bondbill2k2 from:

nephilim (25th August 2011)

Thank Post
    I've been on a low carb diet for 1 1/2 weeks and have lost just over 1 stone. Beginning to slow down to more sensible speeds of weight loss now, but it's still dropping off pretty quick. I've also bought some body analyser scales and they are showing the loss is in fat, not muscle or water so I'm pretty chuffed so far.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well switched to something a bit more sensible, have lost 6lbs so far and I am dropping about 1lb a day or thereabouts.

If anyone is interested, for every 7.7 cals you burn off, you burn 1g of fat.

I have been to the Dr and getting a "prescription" for a gym referral and have a personal trainer who will be ringing me tomorrow.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Is this worth a shot? The Best Daily Deals in Sydney - Citywide - Three Electro Therapy Treatments

OR is it just some gimmick for chicks ;p

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,697 Times in 2,287 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Is this worth a shot? The Best Daily Deals in Sydney - Citywide - Three Electro Therapy Treatments

OR is it just some gimmick for chicks ;p
    I have to say I like their stock photos

As to the effectiveness assuming they mean electo stimulation of muscle groups then yes it can work by forcing the muscles to move so it is effectivly a work out of those specific groups. This can be more intense than a standard workout as the electrodes can force them to contract quickly and past exaustion.

Is it a solution, no, could it be a part of a solution, yes. Again assuming it is what I think it is but there site does not really give many details.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok, update from me...

Starting with my BMI, BMI gone down from 42.33 - 40.92.

In total in 10 days I have gone from 141.9kgs (312.18lbs) to 136.2kgs (299.64lbs) (this is including a lapse where I put on 3 kgs in 1 hit!!)

Nearly a stone gone in weight! Only 1.3kg/3lbs to go and my first stone will be gone!

And for the first time in 3 years I am under 300lbs!!

This is all due to changing my diet from processed food (like chicken and burgers etc) to fresh stuff from my butcher and home grown fruit and veg and foraged foods.
    I have done some light exercise to go with it (walking about 1km a day with my daughter and walking everywhere possible!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Well done!! Keep it up!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, we have registered with Slimming World now and am following the Extra Easy plan, which is simple enough.

I have started off at 17st 3 1/2 lbs (on tuesday) and we will see where we go from there.

I don't do BMI, so I am not even looking at that. It is a ridiculous measurement for so many reasons and rarely suitable as setting targets. For anyone who has previously been very physically active then it can be grossly misleading. Keith Devlin did an amusing piece about 2 years ago with the 10 top reasons why it is wrong, and when studying coaching and sports science I was always taught to avoid it ... and even the research you get nowadays talks about how waist size is linked to health complications, not BMI.

I have never had low BMI, apart from when I was doing stupid things to make weight categories when younger ... best thing I did was decide to stop that and move up a weight or two ... it is just a shame I would now be considered for the Open category if still doing Judo!

---edit---
    Found the Keith Devlin article. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=106268439

17. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

nephilim (2nd September 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast