+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, weight loss in General; I've settled at 22lbs lighter than I was at Christmas and have had to buy jeans and trousers in a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    I've settled at 22lbs lighter than I was at Christmas and have had to buy jeans and trousers in a size 12 (previously 16).

When I was at university twenty-mumble years ago, I weighed over a stone less than I do now and was still a size 14, so I'm afraid I have proved that shops have changed their sizing as well!

I don't want to get any lighter than I am now, but am continuing with my 'egg for breakfast, home-made soup for lunch routine' and regular gym visits to keep the weight where I want it. The difference is that I allow myself the occasional biscuit or bar of chocolate now, but not too often

Thank Post
    @Elsiegee well done! I've gone down a size by playing golf once or twice a week, salad at lunchtime with 'normal' food at other times.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well I'm at the point now that I have to do something. I've just reached 15 stone. I'm 5'9 but am getting a belly and moobs (I love that term).

I want to start running so am after advice. I bought some 'proper' running shoes last year in a fit of energy and enthusiasm but messed up my back. I used to play hockey so am used to exercise.

Any advice on what to do to start running?

Gareth

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    elsiegee: well done but are you sure you arent getting a bit obsessed? If you read back through your posts you will see that you were 'happy' having lost 14lbs and intended to stay there, then were going to stay at 1.5 stone and now it is 22lbs. Stop!! When I met you at Christmas I cannot believe that you were a size 16 - I'm sure you weren't.
    chrrb: well done you too!
    I lost a bit before Easter by giving up sweets, choc, crisps and cake for lent. I didnt lose much - a few pounds I think - but I dont possess any scales and I have not have any for years so I dont know. I am probably quite heavy because I do a lot of exercise - but I go by shape and tone. At the moment I am reasonably happy and have decided to keep away from snacks etc during the week. If I can!!
    Well done the rest of you.
    Gareth - there are plenty of guides to starting running on the net but basically a brisk walk for 1 min - then you run for 1 min, and alternate over time - extending the time running as you go. Be careful to warm up and just have fun with it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Don't worry witch. I really do seem to have stuck now. I only weigh myself once a week now, the weight hasn't shifted since I got back from Oz and I'm eating healthy and feeling fitter than ever. I really was a 16; my height hid the weight. The weight has all come off my bum; my trousers have gone down 2 sizes, but not the top.

With 15 year old son as a 6 ft bottomless pit, biscuits and other temptations aren't sticking around long enough to be a temptation now and that helps too!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    Well I'm at the point now that I have to do something. I've just reached 15 stone. I'm 5'9 but am getting a belly and moobs (I love that term).
    Same here fella. I'm about 6'2" and around 16st. I just feel sluggish and it feels as though my body is inefficient.

I am starting to slowly get back into exercise but I'm not very motivated to do so. Even just long walks can help you but I do aim to then progress back onto running and cycling. I intend to cut out my drinking for a while (which should also help my bank balance), get a hybrid bike and eventually be exercising at least every other day of the week.

My personal belief of where I should be at so that I feel healthier, lighter and more efficient, would probably be around 12st-ish.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    12st sounds a bit light for 6ft 2in unless you are very slightly built. The charts show 12.5 to be the lowest ideal weight, going up to about 13.7

Thank Post
    Yeah, your probs right. It was just an estimate really. TBH I'd even be happy with 14st, it's just a matter of getting my act together.

Thank Post
    I think the best way to get active is to find a sport you enjoy. If you get in with a good group of people you will enjoy it, then you may get more competitive.

I play football 3-4 times a week, I started 2 years ago just training for a team once a week. But once I get fitter I just wanted to get better and be more competitive to get in to the team.

Perhaps look at a running club, they have mixed standards and also a good way to meet new people - one of my best friends met his wife his running club

Thank Post
    I think our staff might still have a kick about in the sports hall on Fridays, might look into that.

Thank Post
    i know it's not much but i lost 1 stone in 2 months with green tea tablets and only going to the exercise bike for 15 minutes a couple of times a week, i still drink and eat take aways though, which i should really cut it out, but who can resist a take away???

Thank Post
    Last edited by JJonas; 10th May 2011 at 11:43 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DAZZD88 View Post
    Yeah, your probs right. It was just an estimate really. TBH I'd even be happy with 14st, it's just a matter of getting my act together.
    Im 5ft 11" and currently 16.2 stone aiming for around 13.5, possibly less depending on how much muscle I build as im doing decent amount of weights twice per week too. It really depends how your built but id say 12 stone is a little low.

As for running get some decent shoes as you have, ive just been using the running machine at the gym, I do around 25-30mins and set a fast walk/light jog pace of 6-7kmph with a slight incline, every other minute I put it up to 11kmph for a minute sometimes 2 at a time then slow it back down, and repeat.

Burn around 300cals in 25mins this way then ill do bikes, rowing and weights. I do this 3-4 times per week and last week ive started to do a few sets of a dozen pressups, im terrible at these and sometimes only do a couple at a time but I make sure I do them all, as for food i'd just count your cals, keep an eye on sodium fat and sugar intakes too, aim to be under about 70% of your GDA rather then just under 100%. If your going to eat a largish meal do so at breakfast or lunch. Never skip breakfast even if your in a rush just grab a cereal bar at least or some fruit. Also try to have meals within 2 hours after your workout, you'll burn them off alot faster.
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 10th May 2011 at 11:51 AM.

Thank Post
    45 minutes of high intensity cardio prior to breakfast everyday.

You'll slim up like you wouldn't believe!

Thank Post
    Some good advice on here, but running (real life, not the treadmill) is without a doubt the best from of exercise from a general fitness point of view. However, most people find that running distance is hard and guess what? It can be, but the benefits are excellent.

However, be aware that running regularly and especially on the road can put a strain on the joints, muscles and bones of the leg and hip so it is important that you start gradually and work up to a decent distance over time. If you can fit swimming, cycling, hiking and weights (or the gym - personally I hate the gym and would rather work out at home) and or any other sport in during the week then you will start to feel a lot better in a fairly short period of time.

It is also important that with this level of training, that you actually eat a decent amount of food and not cut down too much. Nutritionally it is important that you make healthy choices, but with the level of activity above, having some treats a couple of times a week is not going to make a lot of difference in the grand scheme of things.

Also, if you can get a training partner (someone in the forces or training for the forces is ideal) then it helps to keep you motivated.

Pete

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast