+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, salary.... in General; ...

Thank Post

salary....

Just wondered what the average salary is for IT/AV technicians... currently i'm on £14.5k a year... but i've seen jobs advertised in the same area for the same job for £19k +.... i'm just wondering should i look for one of those... or push for a rise???

Thank Post
    More likely you will have to move around to move up the scale.

3. Thanks to HMCTech from:

Jordy-Gaz (28th October 2010)

Thank Post
    i have the chance to move to a smaller scale - but be in charge of the network myself.. i've been here 3 years now and no sign of training or a pay increase... i think you might be right... thanks!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    jordy_gaz, what is it that you do now? Can you give us a brief job spec?

6. Thanks to nephilim from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    jordy_gaz, what is it that you do now? Can you give us a brief job spec?
    im an IT/AV Technician....basically i have to make sure all the machine images are right and functioning correctly...if the phone rings i have to answer it and act on it..same with the office door... im responsible for setting up the equipment for assemblies other than that its any other associated tasks.. basicallly whatever i'm told to do by the network manager....

Thank Post
    IT tech in school in the north west.
    Im on 20k

9. Thanks to CapEnd from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If u could give a more detailed spec, I could tell you what roughly you could be on. Also what qualifications do you have??

Thank Post
    I have no qualifications what so ever apart form GCSE and A levels. Same for most of our techs round here.

Thank Post
    There isn't an average salary, at least not a meaningful one. It varies greatly depending on location, the school's funding (BSF?, Academy?), the level of responsibility and the willingness of the school to invest in IT.

Thank Post
    I'm a Network & Systems Admin in the private education sector. On 21K. Most in the public sector here doing IT Tech jobs (without network admin responsibility) in the South-East is on average 16/17k.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    There isn't an average salary, at least not a meaningful one. It varies greatly depending on location, the school's funding (BSF?, Academy?), the level of responsibility and the willingness of the school to invest in IT.
    I think that's one of the biggest problems with IT in schools. Because there isn't a standard wage it's really up to the particular school to pick a wage and see who'll take the job (or see what they can get away with, in many cases). I've seen jobs for IT techs advertised at 8k per annum and others for top IT Managers at 70k. Job descriptions also vary wildly from place to place (despite there being some very good resources available, e.g. BECTA's ICT Competencies Framework). It's very apparent that schools still struggle to put together decent job specs and provision for suitable salary levels for IT support jobs.

I suppose if we had a better professional status (or indeed any),a proper career path & a suitable professional body representing us then job descriptions & payscales could be collectively bargained - standard wage scale for a standard job - but currently we're just a mishmash of people with various skills, all with different job descriptions and wildly different salaries. I'm sure that's what also made us such an easy target for the likes of BSF and now it's gone, if we fail to get ourselves organised, I fear we'll easily be picked on again in the future.

15. 2 Thanks to timzim:

maestromasada (29th October 2010), stariq (29th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Agree TimZim.

Schools I know of offer a lowest of 14.5k, highest of 22k, this is in Hampshire.

Thank Post
    When I was an ICT Technician I started on £15k, since moving to ICT Network Manager in the same school I've managed to get to £21K but am at the top of my scale and have been told there's no way I can change that.

I understand how frustrating it can be I know an ICT Technician at a different school in my area that earns the same as me, and I know a Network Manager again in the same area that earns £5k more than me.

Thank Post
    £16,219 at my last school

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timzim View Post
    I think that's one of the biggest problems with IT in schools. Because there isn't a standard wage it's really up to the particular school to pick a wage and see who'll take the job (or see what they can get away with, in many cases). I've seen jobs for IT techs advertised at 8k per annum and others for top IT Managers at 70k. Job descriptions also vary wildly from place to place (despite there being some very good resources available, e.g. BECTA's ICT Competencies Framework). It's very apparent that schools still struggle to put together decent job specs and provision for suitable salary levels for IT support jobs.

I suppose if we had a better professional status (or indeed any),a proper career path & a suitable professional body representing us then job descriptions & payscales could be collectively bargained - standard wage scale for a standard job - but currently we're just a mishmash of people with various skills, all with different job descriptions and wildly different salaries. I'm sure that's what also made us such an easy target for the likes of BSF and now it's gone, if we fail to get ourselves organised, I fear we'll easily be picked on again in the future.
    On the other hand I don't want my job lined up against an IT manager in another school (a la Single Status). My job description is different, I perform different functions to my neighbours (albeit there are core functions that will be similar) and I work in a school that works in a different way with support staff where we actively get involved in many areas of work that perhaps more traditional IT staff don't (I'm not saying other schools don't do this by the way - some do, some don't).

I wrote my job description with the head and we negotiated a salary scale. Why should I not be free to do that based on what I do rather than some standard job description that doesn't match reality?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast