+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, salary.... in General; A NM gets paid £xx and gets given additional responsibilities all the time and very rarely gets any extra pay ...
    Thank Post
    A NM gets paid £xx and gets given additional responsibilities all the time and very rarely gets any extra pay for it. Why? Because in alot of our contracts it basically gives you an outline of your responsibilities and towards the end says something along the lines of 'and anything else the head wants you to do'. That's what screws us. Imagine that being on a teachers contract!?!
    The term network can be very broad, no matter what technologies you support, or numbers... it is within the realm of the network... which is something I've found out whilst going cap in hand to the HR lady. I was told that it was based on pupils on roll the salary we received - rather than units supported, involvement, capability or anything else - as you can imagine I nearly tore someone a new bottom hole.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    The term network can be very broad, no matter what technologies you support, or numbers... it is within the realm of the network... which is something I've found out whilst going cap in hand to the HR lady. I was told that it was based on pupils on roll the salary we received - rather than units supported, involvement, capability or anything else - as you can imagine I nearly tore someone a new bottom hole.
    If the LEA HR Dept were to assess the scale of your responsibility on an IT basis that will not be easy for them, it could take months / years and require expert assessment. A payscale based on no of pupils can be done in an afternoon in one Excel spreadsheet.

Thank Post
    So you're suggesting that's OK? Or are you trying to show a clear flaw in how salaries are calculated for skilled staff?

Thank Post
    So you're suggesting that's OK? Or are you trying to show a clear flaw in how salaries are calculated for skilled staff?
    More the latter hereI think!

Often feels like support staff are an after thought rather than a critical cog in the machinary!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    My LA is so forward-thinking and understanding of the way a modern school works, that they deem that a network manager has to manage SOMEONE. They dont get that you can manage a network, apparently.
    Also, all the schools with single techs in are on the bottom, 'ICT Systems Technician' designation which, given that the job description states that the tech works UNDER SUPERVISION is ridiculous. In one of my schools, my boss is the Headteacher, and I am sure he is too busy to come and tell me what to do!
    They do have a Senior ICT Technician level, but other than in a big school, I know of no one who is on this scale.

Thank Post
    Oh definitely the large flaw, I would challenge them on whether that is an appropriate basis.

Thank Post
    What are technician duties as opposed to network manager duties, do you think?
    As far as I am concerned my 'technicians' job description included drivers, inventory, putting kit together and adding it to the domain but it didnt include server maintenance or writing AUP or specifying M&E for new builds or migrating the entire network from 'everyone is an administrator' to 2003 managed access to Vm. Obviously size matters here but there is no appreciation of the skill set required to run a big school. So what do people think is 'tech' tasks as opposed to Network manager tasks?

Thank Post
    Dunno, but I'm wondering the same myself having lost my Network Manager at the end of the Summer hols, our other fulltime technician at the beginning of the summer hols, leaving myself and a part-time office administrator. Currently I'm WebDesign, ITTech, MediaTech, MusicTech, and NM in one... the stress levels are intense to say the least.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    To our LA - a network manager has budget responsibility which the techs don't - but that seems to be about it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparker View Post
    As far as I am concerned my 'technicians' job description included drivers, inventory, putting kit together and adding it to the domain but it didnt include server maintenance or writing AUP or specifying M&E for new builds or migrating the entire network from 'everyone is an administrator' to 2003 managed access to Vm. Obviously size matters here but there is no appreciation of the skill set required to run a big school. So what do people think is 'tech' tasks as opposed to Network manager tasks?
    If you are an ICT Technician in a school with no NM as Witch has mentioned these would all be 'your job'.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparker View Post
    I'd think of it more as what are the NM duties rather than what are the Techi duties - I'm not above changing a printer cartridge or taking a new keyboard out, and nor do i ever want to be.

As NM though, I have final responsibility for things going wrong, the responsibility for organising my staff to ensure jobs are done in a timely manner, that sufficient resources are available to keep everything running, final say on what happens on the servers (though all my techies are familiar with AD) and, perhaps most importantly on paper, control over the budget and responsibility to ensure we get value for money. It's also up to me to have communications with other staff, be they good or bad - had to have a few arguments recently over printers, and as much as I hate it, it's what I'm paid to do.

tl:dr; NM's have responsibility & money.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123