+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, salary.... in General; We advertised for an apprentice this time last year, 6-9k. Ended up with a post grad student with a music ...
    Thank Post
    We advertised for an apprentice this time last year, 6-9k. Ended up with a post grad student with a music tech degree. Although he had no past IT Support knowledge, he quickly shown his worth and has had 4 payrises in a year and is now on what I feel is about right for a level1/2 support technician with 1 year experience behind them(15.5k). His new role is av/multimedia tech and salary tops out at 18.5k.

Currently there is a senior tech post not filled (my old post from 2 years ago) which was due to be advertised soon but has been put on hold again grrrr. I would expect 3 years experience in a technical support role as a must. Senior tech role tops out at 20k. A senior tech in my eyes should be able to deploy a basic server with AD, Dns and dhcp with absolute confidence that it's configured correctly.

As for myself I'm on 21k and tops out 25k as network manager. In a 3 man team my role
    would be more strategic, but as you guessed due to my old role not being filled there is a skills gap in the team that I also have to fill and its a balancing act!

Thank Post
    It seems varies from 11 - 24 k for techs.

Though you have to move around nowa days to get anywhere. Theres not gonna be any standard wage any time soon. I imagine that salary increases etc are on the last of peoples minds in the current years of public sector destruction.

Thank Post
    Started (3 years ago) as a regular IT Tech on 14k (iirc), and within my first year was shifted up to 22k after taking on all web & graphic design, and all media tech roles alongside regular IT Tech duties, with 24.5k being top of the scale...

Thank Post
    I have seen jobs with essentially the same Title & Job Description advertised between £12k and £35k.

Thank Post
    I'm a NM and earn £22.7k and just been given a 2 point rise which takes me to £24.3k. I've been in the post for 18 months.

The full time tech in our dept is on £14.5k and has been for some years. For what he does and is capable of doing I think this is fair pay.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bodminman View Post
    I'm a NM and earn £22.7k and just been given a 2 point rise which takes me to £24.3k. I've been in the post for 18 months.

The full time tech in our dept is on £14.5k and has been for some years. For what he does and is capable of doing I think this is fair pay.
    Is it fair though? After seeing the wages where I am at now and what people do.

14 k I.T. tech is fair? Its comparable to an admin assistant or TA? Yes they all have their specific skills but IMO an I.T person should be higher paid w/e he does. What does he do that he deserves allmost the same as a Trolly Pusher at tesco and loads less than an NQT?

22k for a network manager takes the pees as well. Your basically on the salary of an NQT allways.
    Last edited by Jiser; 29th October 2010 at 04:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiser View Post
    22k for a network manager takes the pees as well. Your basically on the salary of an NQT allways.
    A good NM can make much more of a difference to a school than a good NQT, or any single teacher. IMO it should be related to teachers non-management payscales, and also dependent upon size of school. LA single statuses don't take school size into consideration, a primary NM gets the same single status to a large secondary with 5 times the number of staff, a higher budget, more staff to manage, more negotiations, contracts etc.

Thank Post
    Depends, if your changing toner in printers, passwords, mice\keyboard etc 14k ain't bad. Is it pro-rata?

Hopefully people will want to do more then just that, otherwise I might just open a school for monkeys offering training as "IT Technicians". Note I've drop the "C" - Communication, so they won't do tel support - I could leave that to my call centre in India. Perhaps in the future they'll use my monkeys as a check to see if your worth a pay rise.
    Boss: "Did you resolve the teachers problem faster then Matt's monkey?"
    You: "Yes"
    Tick... well done, this completes your PDR.

Problem is my blue monkeys will be copied by others. Incase you haven't guessed, it's friday and it's pay day!! The way things are, be happy you have a job and your getting paid.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    A good NM can make much more of a difference to a school than a good NQT, or any single teacher. IMO it should be related to teachers non-management payscales, and also dependent upon size of school. LA single statuses don't take school size into consideration, a primary NM gets the same single status to a large secondary with 5 times the number of staff, a higher budget, more staff to manage, more negotiations, contracts etc.
    That is not strictly true. If you look at some of the single status reviews out there (kirklees being an example) then IT manager sits at several levels and the actual level you get will depend on a number of factors and managing staff and budget is certainly a factor.

http://www.kirklees-ednet.org.uk/man...adteachers.pdf
    Last edited by jcollings; 29th October 2010 at 05:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gaz350 View Post
    . A senior tech in my eyes should be able to deploy a basic server with AD, Dns and dhcp with absolute confidence that it's configured correctly.
    With respect gaz I would expect that to be a basic function for any technician working in a network environment. I would certainly expect a senior technician to be able to do more than set up a server with the minimum to function as a DHCP and DNS server.

This as I see it is why many school technicians get such low pay. They drift into the job and just pick it up as they go along with no formal training plan either provided by their employer or constructed by themselves.

All new technicians in my view need to have access to training resources such as a virtual network environment and all the relevant manuals such as windows 2008 server, Active Directory etc.. I appreciate these resources can be very expensive when your on a low salary and that's why I urge any youngsters starting out in the IT field to think beyond the education environment if you want to move up the salary scales in IT, try to persuade your line manager to buy the manuals, purchase a copy of VMware workstation for setting up a virtual network and study on a regular basis at work and at home it's the only way to lift yourself out of the low pay scales.

Take the Microsoft, Cisco and other certs and along with the experienced gained from actually running a network in a virtual environment and supporting one in your school or college you'll stand a much better chance of moving on to a higher salary or into the private sector with better base salaries.

Study and keep studying unfortunately your in one of the only business I know where you cant stop training as you have to keep pace with the relentless march of technology if you cant do that your in the wrong game.

kili

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    That is not strictly true. If you look at some of the single status reviews out there (kirklees being an example) then IT manager sits at several levels and the actual level you get will depend on a number of factors and managing staff and budget is certainly a factor.

http://www.kirklees-ednet.org.uk/man...adteachers.pdf
    ok, they didn't take that into account in our LA.

Thank Post
    Is it fair though? After seeing the wages where I am at now and what people do.

14 k I.T. tech is fair? Its comparable to an admin assistant or TA? Yes they all have their specific skills but IMO an I.T person should be higher paid w/e he does. What does he do that he deserves allmost the same as a Trolly Pusher at tesco and loads less than an NQT?

£14k for the technician I inherited who is:

lazy
    doesn't use his initiative
    often rings me at home for things like "how do I setup a new email account" despite the fact we have knowledgebase articles desscribing this sort of thing
    late for work at least 3 times a week despite his house being 100metres from the school entrance

Not a bad earner really for him is it?

He's had countless warning etc but each time I've wanted these issues to be taken further the I don't get the backing from SMT. They're too softly softly with people. However, he is a candidate for redundancy which is happening in the next month or two so maybe this is why SMT haven't done anything!

However, I do feel that £14k for pretty much anyone working full time is unacceptable in this day and ago. If you live alone I think you could only 'just' survive on that salary. But for this particular person who I feel is detrimental to the department I'd happily drop is wages a considerable amount to match the imput he has into the operation of the dept.

As for the NM salary yes I agree that takes the 'pees' as you put it. Someone has mentioned that the NM pay should at least reflect a non management teachers scale. I think this is fair compromise but I'm affraid that will never happen as non teachers are basically treated like the sh1t on the bottom of shoes as far as pay is concerned.

A teacher teachers English for eg and they get paid £xx. They are then asked to take on another bit of responsibility and are given and extra £xx for doing it. Which is quite right!

A NM gets paid £xx and gets given additional responsibilities all the time and very rarely gets any extra pay for it. Why? Because in alot of our contracts it basically gives you an outline of your responsibilities and towards the end says something along the lines of 'and anything else the head wants you to do'. That's what screws us. Imagine that being on a teachers contract!?!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bodminman View Post
    However, I do feel that £14k for pretty much anyone working full time is unacceptable in this day and ago. If you live alone I think you could only 'just' survive on that salary.
    My last school was £16,219, worked out at roughly £1k per month, £250 per week. I lived at home and the school was about a 10 minute drive away. All I paid for was my mobile phone, that left plenty of money.

My current, almost identical job is 35 miles away, costing me £50/w petrol just to get there and back. My rent is almost £100 a week. I also have a wife and two children, the weekly shop is anywhere between £50-£100 per week. Doesn't really leave enough money for anything else!

JPS
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    A good NM can make much more of a difference to a school than a good NQT, or any single teacher.
    Slightly contentious view CyberNerd, would you care to justify that statement?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I did a quick search on Monster for the nearest job description I could - 'Network Administrator'. Not many jobs came up but a variety of rolls, some including more managerial responsibility and all mostly the equivalent of a school Network Manager in responsibility and scope. From what I could see the Salaries offered where mostly in the £22-£30k range, about what I reckon most School Network Managers are on. Alas I'm not sure our current pay really does take the proverbial and is probably not that far off market average. Don't like it? Skill up and move on...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast