+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Applying for BSF Network Manager Job in General; I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but here goes. I recently received an email ...
    Thank Post

Applying for BSF Network Manager Job

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but here goes.

I recently received an email from a company who have the ICT contract for a group of schools that are undergoing BSF. I was wondering if anyone knows what will happen to the ICT staff after the contract ends. I've applied for the position as I think it may produce a better opportunity for me to advance my career. Is there anyone out there that works as a Network Manager for one of these companies that have won the ICT contract for BSF schools? How is it compared to working for the school that you originally worked for?

I think I may have a good chance as I was the one who was asked to apply for the job, makes me feel wanted in a way, if you know what I mean.

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but I didn't know where to put it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I believe that if you are employed specifically to support a contract, then if, at contract renewal, your employer loose the deal you are eligible for transfer to the winning provider.

However you talk about better opportunity to advance your career, which suggest to me that by the time the contract is up, you will have moved on internally anyway, and thus the point is moot.

Working as a 'network manager' in a school for an MSP is nothing like working as a Network Manager for a School. The models for BSF ICT services do not really allow for the traditional role of network manager, though it seems several MSP's have effectively re-implemented this role at least temporarily. It is my experience that those who join the MSP from outside (i.e. not through TUPE) are happier than those ex-school staff. Also to bear in mind that a Network Manager who is based in a school but answers to head office can be quite isolated - especially if the company they work for is used to having its staff at least partially based in the Head Office. This can be remedied, and is worth checking out your prospective employer's approach.

P.

3. Thanks to psydii from:

dezt (25th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Do yourself a favour and look for employment elsewhere or at least TUPE over to them and go all to find another role elsewhere. You will be between the school and Head Office being kicked severely by both parties.

You will not be one of the trusted and have very little rights to perform the role you used to do and will be left fixing desktops and laptops whilst waiting for the next exciting call to change the printer toner.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    Do yourself a favour and look for employment elsewhere or at least TUPE over to them and go all to find another role elsewhere. You will be between the school and Head Office being kicked severely by both parties.

You will not be one of the trusted and have very little rights to perform the role you used to do and will be left fixing desktops and laptops whilst waiting for the next exciting call to change the printer toner.
    To play devils advocate though there is also more chance of training, the chance to use more modern kit and in a larger organisation the opportunity to move and grow your career path.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    To play devils advocate though there is also more chance of training, the chance to use more modern kit and in a larger organisation the opportunity to move and grow your career path.
    Yes, there is a chance.

However from my experience it hasn't worked out that way for the techies I know that were transitioned to the ICT provider. They have very little rights on the systems now and the only training they have had is on the help desk system that is used.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread