+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Android Tablets in General; Just wondering, has anybody had a play with any Android tablets? Are they any good? I'm particularly looking at the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts

Android Tablets

Just wondering, has anybody had a play with any Android tablets? Are they any good?

I'm particularly looking at the dirt cheap aPad/ePad's, though I'm unable to find a definitive answer on whether the market place works on them...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Personally I'd swerve the cheap as dirt a/epads.....not the best build quality

3. Thanks to CPLTD from:

LosOjos (22nd October 2010)

Thank Post
    I think the cheap ones are not going to be good value either and might end giving Android tablets a bad name

(Or they might be the next Biro )

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have an e-pad. If you are to look into them search for Zenithink ZT-180 (their real name) for the 10" versions. They are cheap, cheerful and plod along. Be warned though, Market is a PITA to get working they only run Andoid 2.1 and are made of plastic. Avoid the 7" versions like the plague. Far more useful is the Wits A81E which is a smaller device that has Android 2.2 and a built in GPS, and you can get market to work easily without even havign to hack it. Also you can tether it to an Android phone easily and get mobile internet access at quite a decent rate. I use mine for a large screen sat-nav with CoPilot and as an in-car touch screen media centre for music etc. Both devices are very good for gettign to grips with configuring and administering Android devices though. Avoid anything with less than Android 2.1!!
    If you wait long enough, there are factories in China producing new ones all the time so if you wait until something of higher quaility comes along it may be worth the wait. Here is a good place to see what is happening in China with strange and knock off devices: http://www.shanzai.com/

6. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

Thank Post
    What's your definition of cheap?

If you can wait until November (Hmm, that's a whole week away), then Dixons/PC World will be launching their own 7" and 10.1" tablets. By all accounts, they get rather good reviews, and at least you can return them, as opposed to some Ebayer based in Hong Kong.

10" will be circa £250
    7" will be circa £130

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Came across this today but is it a scam? A spoof, or are they trying to rip people off? It looks like a bastardised iPad to me.

Wholesale MID Product-Latest Android 2.1 OS 7inch MID with WiFi,Telechips,Touch screen MID T7009

In the screenshots it shows Apple IOS on it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've got the Archos 7 Android Tablet, it's variable- touch screen is v frustrating at times Apps on it are limited to the offerings on Appslib which can be a bit sparse, finally battery is not great- 2 hours at most if you’re using it.

In short it's alright for media viewing and a bit of light browsing but other than that not great.

Mark

10. Thanks to CPLTD from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    What's your definition of cheap?

If you can wait until November (Hmm, that's a whole week away), then Dixons/PC World will be launching their own 7" and 10.1" tablets. By all accounts, they get rather good reviews, and at least you can return them, as opposed to some Ebayer based in Hong Kong.

10" will be circa £250
    7" will be circa £130
    Next will be selling the 10" epad for £180: Next fashions budget 10in Android tablet ? reghardware

Oh and Morgan have a 7" device (I wouldn't touch this with a bargepole!): Cheap 7 inch Google Android tablet with touchscreen technology - 49679 - discounts & offers

And news on the Dixons device: Dixons touts tablets ? reghardware

12. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I have an e-pad. If you are to look into them search for Zenithink ZT-180 (their real name) for the 10" versions. They are cheap, cheerful and plod along. Be warned though, Market is a PITA to get working they only run Andoid 2.1 and are made of plastic. Avoid the 7" versions like the plague. Far more useful is the Wits A81E which is a smaller device that has Android 2.2 and a built in GPS, and you can get market to work easily without even havign to hack it. Also you can tether it to an Android phone easily and get mobile internet access at quite a decent rate. I use mine for a large screen sat-nav with CoPilot and as an in-car touch screen media centre for music etc. Both devices are very good for gettign to grips with configuring and administering Android devices though. Avoid anything with less than Android 2.1!!
    If you wait long enough, there are factories in China producing new ones all the time so if you wait until something of higher quaility comes along it may be worth the wait. Here is a good place to see what is happening in China with strange and knock off devices: http://www.shanzai.com/
    Is the Zenithink the same one that NEXT are selling? I've read various reports that they are either Zenithinks or Elonex. What is it like for reading pdfs in portrait?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    Hmm.. I may wait for the PC World 7"... or not bother...

The main reason I want one is to use as an XBMC/Boxeeremote for a HTPC I'm building, as a decent remote with keyboard costs about £50, I thought I might as well pay the extra £30 and have an ePad, but if they aren't too good I'll probably stick to a standard mini keyboard/mouse for now (like this Rii Mini)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    Is the Zenithink the same one that NEXT are selling? I've read various reports that they are either Zenithinks or Elonex. What is it like for reading pdfs in portrait?
    Elonex NEVER make their own kit. Chances are they are rebranded Zenithinks.

Thank Post
    I have an e-pad. If you are to look into them search for Zenithink ZT-180 (their real name) for the 10" versions. They are cheap, cheerful and plod along.
    If this is the same bit of hardware as the Next tablet? The reviews - from the Gaurdian, BBC, etc - are absolutly terrible. How much of that is due to the software on the device? Could its various problems be fixed by installing Ubuntu Netbook Remix or similar? Is the screen's poor response simply due to cheap hardware, or is it not callibrated in software correctely? Anyone know if it's possible to change the software installed on these devices? Can the battery be changed easily? From all accounts the Next tablets seem to simply not work, they don't sound saleable - maybe there'll be several truckloads of them floating around spare in a bit? If battery life is an issue they might stil be useable as devices to be stuck to walls and powered via the mains.

Does anyone notice how we seem to be getting closer to the $100 PC quite quickly these days?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    dhicks: I think the Next tablet uses a resistive touchscreen, rather than the much better and more responsive capacitive. Along with having Android 2.1+, I think this is one of the main factors in deciding on which tablet to buy.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what the device will offer that will be available from Currys/Dixons/PC World.

A few sources have advised people to wait for the official Android edition for tablets, instead of the current mobile-centric versions.

For a totally polished and useable device, right now I don't think you can beat the Apple iPad. But for hackability and if you don't mind a bit of tinkering or slightly less tolerance to build quality; one of the less-costly Android devices in the above-£200 mark will probably be great. I also think that to make the purchase of a tablet worth while, you really need one with a 10" screen, as 7" is just too small for the type of device they are.

18. Thanks to webman from:

dhicks (24th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Hmm.. I may wait for the PC World 7"... or not bother.
    If DSG sell an Advent branded Android tablet, at least there will be less bits that can break or fall off of it.

Thank Post
    Elonex NEVER make their own kit. Chances are they are rebranded Zenithinks.
    That may be the case.

What are they like for reading pdfs though? Specifically MS pressbooks. This is the main reason I require a Tablet, as I cannot stand trying to read a vertical document on a horizontal screen, and carting the physical books around is enough to give you permanent back ache.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast