+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Android Tablets in General; Originally Posted by SimpleSi And I was worried that it would be cheap Android tablets would dirty Android's image You ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,631 Times in 1,939 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    And I was worried that it would be cheap Android tablets would dirty Android's image
    You will enjoy this review of the Maylong M-150 tablet.

The Maylong M-150 Tablet PC is an Android-based device sold by Walgreens for a mere $99 a pop. The obvious purpose for this tablet's existence is to appeal to bargain basement shoppers—grandmas, poor college kids, those on a tight budget—by claiming to offer a full tablet experience for cheap. I mean, it runs Android, right? That's a legit operating system nowadays. Unfortunately, the Maylong M-150 is the very epitome of "race to the bottom," and anyone looking to buy one would get more bang for the buck by setting it on fire for warmth.

What you get
    On paper, the Maylong tablet looks... okay. It has a 7" screen, but is limited to a resolution of 800x480. It has a resistive touchscreen instead of a more accurate capacitive one like the iPad or Galaxy Tab, a 400MHz (or 533, depending on whom you ask) processor, 256MB of RAM and 2GB of built-in storage. It comes with 802.11b/g for WiFi and no 3G support, though it claims to be able to use USB-based 3G cards via the extra dongle that comes in the box. It weighs less than a pound and comes with Android 1.6. Hey, what do you expect for $100?

Battery life
    Maylong's website doesn't specify any details about the non-user-replaceable battery, but does say that it has a standby time of 2-3 hours. That's not usage time, folks: that's how long the thing will last in your bag after you unplug it, and according to our use, it's a pretty good estimate. If you charge it before leaving for the airport, there's a pretty good likelihood that the M-150 will be dead by the time you get on the plane.

Usage time is even worse. We "used" the device as best we could for as long as possible, and the battery usually only gave us an hour or less before dying out. (Yes, there were times when we got less than an hour from a full charge.) This was usually with WiFi on, though as we noted in the Usage section, just because the device says WiFi is on doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

Either way, we can't imagine getting too much more than an hour during anyone's regular usage patterns. (Then again, it's so infuriating to use, you probably would never find yourself using it for more than an hour at a time anyway).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In teh mean time Viewsonics ViewPad 7 hits the market:

Viewsonic ViewPad 7 Android tablet ? reghardware

Now that's more like it!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    In teh mean time Viewsonics ViewPad 7 hits the market:

Viewsonic ViewPad 7 Android tablet ? reghardware

Now that's more like it!!
    That's the kind of thing that I'd spend £400 on!

Looks good, and could be an Apple squasher?????

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    In teh mean time Viewsonics ViewPad 7 hits the market
    With the exactly same resolution as the HTC Desire HD (800x480), why would anyone want to buy a 7" tablet instead of a more pocketable 4.3" smartphone?

Thank Post
    The Guardian have posted their review of NovaTech's nTablet.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ntablet-review

Novatech is hoping to aim the Windows version at "educational customers" - in other words, teachers and children (and particularly the people who buy kit for them to use). To which all I can say is: NOOOOO! Unless, of course, you want to persuade children that computers are frustrating as well as boring, in which case go right ahead.

There is good news, though, some light at the end of the tunnel. The nTablet will also come in a dual-boot form able to run Android 2.2 (the version I tested didn't). That, I think, will be much more pleasant: from trying Android on a couple of 7" tablets (ie slightly under half the screen size of a 10" tablet), it's an elegant, tablet-friendly operating system - and the latter is a point that I can't emphasise enough. Windows might be fine for desktops. But it is not for, and you should never buy it on, tablets. You'll regret it, mark my words.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Personally I wouldn't bother with any which have resistive touch screens. Capacitive screens are much better.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fafster View Post
    the Advent Vega is expected to be released this weekend
    The first custom ROM for the Advent Vega has been released by MoDaCo. In addition to the features listed below, a "Performance Pack" is also available which makes the tablet faster.

http://android.modaco.com/content/ad...nline-kitchen/

Features Included
    • Full Google experience including Car Home, Calendar, Contacts, Genie (News and Weather), Gmail, Maps with Street View, Market, Talk, Voice Search and YouTube
    • All Google components are running the latest release
    • Custom configuration to show ALL apps in the Android Market
    • Spare Parts application from the official Tegra Developer Kit
    • Includes Superuser application and su binary from ChainsDD for SAFE root functionality

About MoDaCo Custom ROM Add-ons
    MoDaCo Custom ROMs Add-Ons are add-on packs for official ROMs. A MCR release is designed to feel as far as possible like a stock ROM, with optimisations, tweaks and complimentary additions that enhance the user experience. The aim of a MCR ROM or add-on pack is to be ultra reliable for use on an everyday device.

Thank Post
    A review of the Advent Vega is out:

Advent Vega review | Smartphones | Reviews | PC Pro

--
    David Hicks

10. Thanks to dhicks from:

Arthur (27th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Personally I wouldn't bother with any which have resistive touch screens. Capacitive screens are much better.
    Depends if you want accuracy or not doesn't it though? Or if you intend to use your device with something other than a bare finger (ie. gloved hands, stylus, the end of your pen etc...).

Thank Post
    This looks interesting:

Acer breaks the mould with dual-touchscreen laptop | News | PC Pro

A dual touch-screen laptop - two 14" screens, one where the keyboard normally goes on a laptop. At £1,500, rather expensive for the average school pupil, but an interesting concept. Indeed, I can't help but think of the OLPC tablet - make the screen 7", the size of the Amazon Kindle, so it's sized to fit in your pocket, and make a clamshell wallet that fits two of those screens linked together via USB. Define one as the screen, one as the keyboard, and away you go.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Depends if you want accuracy or not doesn't it though? Or if you intend to use your device with something other than a bare finger (ie. gloved hands, stylus, the end of your pen etc...).
    I completely agree, although in the context of this thread, a resistive screen on an Android tablet usually means the manufacturer has also cut corners in other areas in order to meet a specific price point. Slow CPUs, LCD panels with narrow viewing angles/low resolutions, poor battery life and build quality issues are quite common on the low-end tablets. It's impossible to tell who makes the tablet Kearton linked to, which is why I would avoid it myself.

Resistive screens certainly have their uses and you can't judge the quality of a tablet based on which type of screen it has (as Toshiba's Folio 100 demonstrates).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Acer breaks the mould with dual-touchscreen laptop
    Haven't PC Pro heard of Microsoft's Courier tablet? Although this concept never saw the light of day, Acer certainly weren't the first to come up with such a device (or patent it).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kearton View Post
    I've just bought this, but from Asda for £150. (Branded Elonex)

It's perfect for my needs. I really don't understand why folk moan about resistive screens. I have no problem using it at all, and I like the fact I can use stylus to navigate to.

Unfortunately I have stumbled across a game called Angry Birds and I'm severely lacking in sleep because of it.

I may write an in depth review of it if there is a request.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to read an in-depth review of it.....

The tablet, that is....Not Angry Birds!!! (Already had it on my phone.....took up far too much of my time!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast