+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Web communication from Australia - suggestions please in General; Seems likely that Mr gee will be despatched to Sydney by his employer in the next few days and be ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,615 Posts

Web communication from Australia - suggestions please

Seems likely that Mr gee will be despatched to Sydney by his employer in the next few days and be out there for 6 months with occasional visits home.

Company laptop and blackberry have webcams disabled and have all useful websites blocked.

What would you suggest we look at getting so that he can use skype or similar and maintain contact with us while he's enjoying the sunshine? Laptop? Mobile?...

Please bear in mind that Mr gee has zero technical competance, so if he ends up getting it in Oz, he's going to have to set it up himself!

Thank Post
    get one of the cheap telephone tariffs and phone him regularly (make sure you pay no heed to the time differences ;-) ). Oz often has cheap deals for ringing the UK so get him to look out for them but might be more difficult if he's hotel based.

Try and persuade his employers that it would be far more efficient and cost effective for them to leave him there and fly you out to see him rather than allowing him home visits.

3. Thanks to jdoyle from:

elsiegee40 (21st October 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would recommend just a cheap netbook (or laptop depending on preferences) and grab a webcam then a portable broadband dongle (most major phone companies offer these, eg: Telstra, optus, vodaphone, 3, i know the first two do prepaid versions but i'm not sure on the rest).

5. Thanks to p858snake from:

elsiegee40 (21st October 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jdoyle View Post
    get one of the cheap telephone tariffs and phone him regularly (make sure you pay no heed to the time differences ;-) ). Oz often has cheap deals for ringing the UK so get him to look out for them but might be more difficult if he's hotel based.

Try and persuade his employers that it would be far more efficient and cost effective for them to leave him there and fly you out to see him rather than allowing him home visits.
    Unfortunately one teenager has GCSE modules in November and early January and the other has AS modules with similar timings, making trips out there not sensible until Easter. In theory Mr gee should be home by then, but dates might slip!

Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    I would recommend just a cheap netbook (or laptop depending on preferences) and grab a webcam then a portable broadband dongle (most major phone companies offer these, eg: Telstra, optus, vodaphone, 3, i know the first two do prepaid versions but i'm not sure on the rest).
    It's useful know the names of the aussie broadband proviers... we'll have to do some internet research on which he should get when he gets there.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Where is he staying whilst he is here? renting a place?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts
    @elsiegee40:

Take six months leave of absence and go with him, I am sure you would enjoy being there with him in Aussie land.

Thank Post
    Why not send rabbieburns a PM? He's bound to know what's available.

Thank Post
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @elsiegee40:

Take six months leave of absence and go with him, I am sure you would enjoy being there with him in Aussie land.
    I refer you to my earlier answer

Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Unfortunately one teenager has GCSE modules in November and early January and the other has AS modules with similar timings, making trips out there not sensible until Easter. In theory Mr gee should be home by then, but dates might slip!

Where is he staying whilst he is here? renting a place?
    Initially he'll be hotel based as he'll be travelling back and forward to Hong Kong, but they have promised a serviced appartment.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Wish I knew a company who did tickets out there at a decent price during the summer time or near the summer time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If yout go to the aussie post office they can provide a phone card. It will allow you to call the UK for next to nothing on a normal phone.

I will happen to be in Sydney in a few months. I could nip in and sort him out

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Get one of these for him:

Mobile Telepresence | Lifesize Passport

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Seems likely that Mr gee will be despatched to Sydney by his employer in the next few days and be out there for 6 months with occasional visits home.

Company laptop and blackberry have webcams disabled and have all useful websites blocked.

What would you suggest we look at getting so that he can use skype or similar and maintain contact with us while he's enjoying the sunshine? Laptop? Mobile?...

Please bear in mind that Mr gee has zero technical competance, so if he ends up getting it in Oz, he's going to have to set it up himself!
    Well, the most basic communication is e-mail. Other possible method of communication via the web are IM or VoIP.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Many cheap netbooks actually come with a webcam built in, as well as skype pre-installed, so that'd probably be the best option. Lets him carry it easily (the smaller ones will fit relatively comfortably in a coat pocket). Throw in a budget headset for if he wants to call you while out and about, and again as p858snake said a broadband dongle, and you should be fine.

The MSI Wind seems to be one of the cheapest, comes with a webcam built in and a decent battery life.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    Many cheap netbooks actually come with a webcam built in, as well as skype pre-installed, so that'd probably be the best option. Lets him carry it easily (the smaller ones will fit relatively comfortably in a coat pocket). Throw in a budget headset for if he wants to call you while out and about, and again as p858snake said a broadband dongle, and you should be fine.

The MSI Wind seems to be one of the cheapest, comes with a webcam built in and a decent battery life.
    From experience I've found on some built in the res was pretty shocking but others might of had other experience.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread