+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Job's throwing his toys out of his pram? in General; Don't you guys realise that Apple products are PERFECT in every way...they just invented this amazing thing called "FaceTime" where ...

Thank Post
    Don't you guys realise that Apple products are PERFECT in every way...they just invented this amazing thing called "FaceTime" where you can chat with your mates by VIDEO.

Its such an unbelievably brilliant idea I don't know why no one had thought of it already...MAGICAL

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @jonwoods123 - </Sarcasm>

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    You can say the same about any OEM. Take a look at the workstations that Dell or HP sell and you will see they charge similar amounts of money to upgrade components. For example, to upgrade from a 250GB 7,200 rpm HDD to a 1.5TB 7,200 rpm HDD on the Dell Precision T3500 costs 139.00 whereas you could buy one yourself for 45.00 + VAT. Likewise, to go from a 2.26GHz Xeon E5507 to a 2.66GHz Xeon E5640 (a difference of 400MHz) costs an additional 563!!! Should we not buy PCs at all and just build them ourselves since it's cheaper?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    You can say the same about any OEM. Take a look at the workstations that Dell or HP sell and you will see they charge similar amounts of money to upgrade components. For example, to upgrade from a 250GB 7,200 rpm HDD to a 1.5TB 7,200 rpm HDD on the Dell Precision T3500 costs 139.00 whereas you could buy one yourself for 45.00 + VAT. Likewise, to go from a 2.26GHz Xeon E5507 to a 2.66GHz Xeon E5640 (a difference of 400MHz) costs an additional 563!!! Should we not buy PCs at all and just build them ourselves since it's cheaper?
    but at least we have the option

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Love that poster great find and its actually an accurate analogy of the pricing, why should they all be amazingly over-priced parts its a rip off.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    but at least we have the option
    You still do with Apple though. There's nothing stopping you from buying HDDs, RAM and so on elsewhere at significantly lower prices. I have done this many times in the past and saved thousands of pounds, either by buying the parts from a third-party like Crucial/Dabs etc. and fitting them myself or by purchasing Mac's through an Apple reseller.

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    It's actually an accurate analogy of the pricing, why should they all be amazingly over-priced parts its a rip off.
    In this case it isn't though - is it? The main problem I have with that poster is that whoever created it is not doing a like-for-like comparison. Here are a few examples of what I mean (12-core Apple Mac Pro vs. 12-core HP Z600 Workstation).

If you actually spend some time to compare a Mac Pro with it's equivalent in the Windows world you will see that the poster is mostly not true.

7. 4 Thanks to Arthur:

localzuk (21st October 2010), Sean-OC04 (25th October 2010), Soulfish (21st October 2010), Tunster (21st October 2010)

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonwoods123 View Post
    Don't you guys realise that Apple products are PERFECT in every way...they just invented this amazing thing called "FaceTime" where you can chat with your mates by VIDEO.

Its such an unbelievably brilliant idea I don't know why no one had thought of it already...MAGICAL
    You can see yourself and the person you are speaking to at the same time. I can do without my mirror now. Yippee!!!

Thank Post
    @Arthur - Thanks for the response! I was going to say the same. What large PC manufactures don't charge ridiculous amounts for upgrades on their PCs? Dell, Sony, HP? I'd say they all do as they haven't to make a profit margin somewhere! We all know we can build a PC for a fraction of the cost. Apple is no different. The biggest difference between them and rest is the quality of their products.

If anyone tells me the new Macbook Air's are anyway backwards or awful, look at the spec's again. The engineering on it is truly immense.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookair/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunster View Post
    @Arthur - Thanks for the response! I was going to say the same. What large PC manufactures don't charge ridiculous amounts for upgrades on their PCs? Dell, Sony, HP? I'd say they all do as they haven't to make a profit margin somewhere! We all know we can build a PC for a fraction of the cost. Apple is no different. The biggest difference between them and rest is the quality of their products.

If anyone tells me the new Macbook Air's are anyway backwards or awful, look at the spec's again. The engineering on it is truly immense.

Apple (United Kingdom) - MacBook Air - The next generation of MacBooks
    Over priced and underpowered toy aimed at people who are blinded by the apple badge. Wouldn't give it houseroom. We have 2 at school in a safe because they were not up to what the users wanted.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gopher_1999 View Post
    Over priced and underpowered toy aimed at people who are blinded by the apple badge. Wouldn't give it houseroom. We have 2 at school in a safe because they were not up to what the users wanted.
    Maybe the teachers didn't know how to use them? I know the 11" Macbook Air is double price of a netbook, but I'd personally pay 800 for the entry level one for the design and long-life of the product not falling apart after a year! It fits a market for people who don't need the extra optical drives and want extra portability. That and the iPad wipe out any need for a windows netbook straight away.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunster View Post
    Maybe the teachers didn't know how to use them? I know the 11" Macbook Air is double price of a netbook, but I'd personally pay 800 for the entry level one for the design and long-life of the product not falling apart after a year! It fits a market for people who don't need the extra optical drives and want extra portability. That and the iPad wipe out any need for a windows netbook straight away.
    If you have ~1,500 burning a hole in your pocket yeah... Or you could get a high end Linux/Windows based netbook and Android tablet PC for about 500, I know which I'd choose

Thank Post
    I just wrote 4 lengthy paragraphs on why I hate Apple...then deleted it all. Instead I'm just going to write what summarises my hatred the most...

"Macs are better for design"

Magical

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The age old (well, the computer-age old) argument resurfaces again!

Mac or PC?

Some will love the Mac, others will love the PC......And arguments will always rage!

Myself? I prefer anything that's NOT Apple, mainly because I don't like the stranglehold they put on their customers.

I could build a PC for half the price that Dell quotes, AND it would be more reliable too! Mind you, I'm still waiting for someone to come on and say how secure Apple stuff is!!!

Thank Post
    Over priced and underpowered toy aimed at people who are blinded by the Apple badge.
    I agree about the original MacBook Air. The abysmally slow 1.8" HDD and 2GB RAM limit really let it down, especially considering how much it cost. The new model is much better though (the SSD definitely helps). A lot of people get blinded by the Sony badge for some bizarre reason. You can easily spend 1,300+ on a G Series VAIO (for example) and end up with a laptop which performs similarly or worse.

We have 2 at school in a safe because they were not up to what the users wanted.
    Surely if they had done some research beforehand, they would have known these wouldn't have been suitable for their needs? The MacBook Air is classed as an ultra-portable laptop so you have to expect some kind of compromise when it comes to speed vs size/weight. The type of people the MacBook Air is aimed at most likely won't be using it as their only computer, so the lower performance doesn't matter as much.

Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Mac or PC?
    Why not both? I just use which ever is best for the job in hand. Windows, Mac OS X and Linux all have advantages and disadvantages. Liking/disliking Steve Jobs, Steve Ballmer or Linus Torvalds isn't important enough for me to completely stop using a particular OS or device.

Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    I could build a PC for half the price that Dell quotes, AND it would be more reliable too!
    That's very hard to do with laptops though. I also like building my own PCs, but saving money is not always the reason I do this. If I had to buy a Dell computer for home use, I would avoid the various Inspiron models altogether and buy a Latitude or OptiPlex instead.
    Last edited by Arthur; 22nd October 2010 at 12:55 AM.

Thank Post
    That's very hard to do with laptops though. I also like building my own PCs, but saving money is not always the reason I do this. If I had to buy a Dell computer for home use, I would avoid the various Inspiron models altogether and buy a Latitude or OptiPlex instead.
    Right now i'd buy an Acer. They've really stepped up their game design wise with some high quality finishes, plus great battery life, performance and overall value. You know with Acer that you aren't paying for the name...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast