+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, ICT Support Survey? in General; Hi, We are creating a survey for Staff and Students through our VLE and I'm looking for some suggestions on ...
    Thank Post

Cool ICT Support Survey?

Hi,

We are creating a survey for Staff and Students through our VLE and I'm looking for some suggestions on what to ask. Basically we are trying to find out if they are happy with the service they receive and the equipment around School, if anyone has done this before and could provide a template to start with that would be really useful

Lee

Thank Post
    Dont it!

the results will always be negative! Staff blame Equipment and IT for all problems....Its never the users fault!

Thank Post
    Do it, that way you can show improvement to SLT (upon next survey) and hopefully, either get necessary training or budget.

I would ask a few key Qs:

How would you rate ICT support within the school & why? (e.g, 1..5)
    Do you feel your queries are resolved within a satisfactory time?
    Are you happy with the support you receive? (If not, why?).
    Do you feel you have adequate training on ICT within the school?

That way, you have things to argue with your line manager. Rather than asking for things outright without unfounded statements (yes, they'll think everything you say is rubbish unless you have data to prove it) they have evidence to show otherwise, it may be half the tickets that are complaints are because staff can't workout how to plug in the VGA cable after a teacher has unplugged it prior and that a bit of training will help... it can tie in with your tickets.

Don't give them too much room to answer freely, you might get the odd twonk who answers poor, poor, poor, poor... but that way you can address it to SLT as something that needs improvement either by budget, training (staff and technical) or if SLT need to step in because staff aren't following processes in place.
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 20th October 2010 at 11:17 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I tend to agree, you will rarely get constructive criticism, and I guarantee you that everyone will say that the computers are "slow", the internet is "slow" and they will complain about the things that are very minor to you, but massively important to them.

If you are set on this path, then I would recommend asking about how they would improve the ICT, what they would like to see in the future, and generally look forward, rather than rate your current situation.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    Do it, that way you can show improvement to SLT (upon next survey) and hopefully, either get necessary training or budget.

I would ask a few key Qs:

How would you rate ICT support within the school & why? (e.g, 1..5)
    Do you feel your queries are resolved within a satisfactory time?
    Are you happy with the support you receive? (If not, why?).
    Do you feel you have adequate training on ICT within the school?

That way, you have things to argue with your line manager. Rather than asking for things outright without unfounded statements (yes, they'll think everything you say is rubbish unless you have data to prove it) they have evidence to show otherwise, it may be half the tickets that are complaints are because staff can't workout how to plug in the VGA cable after a teacher has unplugged it prior and that a bit of training will help... it can tie in with your tickets.

Don't give them too much room to answer freely, you might get the odd twonk who answers poor, poor, poor, poor... but that way you can address it to SLT as something that needs improvement either by budget, training (staff and technical) or if SLT need to step in because staff aren't following processes in place.
    Thanks for the info, that's very useful and we have to do a survey, it's part of our "performance management"

Thank Post
    I've been waiting since April for mine, most displeased.

Thank Post
    heres the basics of our survey, hope this helps

If you needed help how did you contact the IT Support Team? (you can select more than 1)
    Email
    Phone
    In Person in a Corridor
    In Person at Client Services
    Another Person Contacted IT Support on my behalf

To what extent do you agree with the following statements? The IT Support Team.... (strong disagree to strongly agree scale)
    were polite.
    were helpful.
    responded in a time acceptable to me.
    solved my problem.
    kept me up to date with the progress of my support request.
    provide a reliable service.

Catmose College IT Support Team provide many services, please rate them. (very poor to Excellant)
    Add list of services

If you have given a service a poor or worse rating please explain why here so that we can try to improve things in the future.
    Comment box

To help priorities our development of the facilities we provide please choose the four things you would most like to see us improve. (1-4 rank order)
    List of services to choose from.

Please use this space below to comment on what you think the IT Support Team needs to improve.
    comment box

Please use the space below to comment on what you feel the IT Support Team do well.
    comment box

8. 4 Thanks to gaz350:

BassTech (20th October 2010), camel (20th October 2010), dwhyte85 (20th October 2010), Hokalus (20th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Eeek!!

Last time I saw one of these it heralded a rationalisation in the IT Support dept at my previous school.

Thank Post
    Thanks gaz350, very helpful!

Thank Post
    an issue with doing a single survey once a year is that very often :

1. only those that are narked/angry bother to answer
    2. they only answer based on the current nark and forget any previous good service

Do you have a help desk and a mechanism for checking the number of jobs completed for each individual/department/faculty? Do you have SLA's in place? If so, I'd remind staff of the service delivered and the SLA's in place before asking them to complete an annual survey. If I could, I'd be doing regular service feedback checks throughout the year as jobs are completed, feeding back to SLT, Heads of Faculty etc. with a complaints and thanks procedures. File all emails thanking you/the team and always reply copying your line manager.

Do a separate survey for staff and students so that you can check numbers and communicate accordingly (if you've got 200 staff and only 30 responses you know that you need to nag staff; 250 Year 7's and 240 responses, thank the Year 7's who have responded). Break it down in such a way that you have target audiences to work with - some might need to be given incentives or an element of competitiveness; others might need to be embarrassed into doing the survey by publishing percentage responses received during the life of the survey.

If you can, leave questions with a positive response as the default option - force respondents to select neutral or negative responses.

Thank Post
    (had to rush to a meeting) Just some notes on my survey, we use survey monkey and have separate collectors for each target group.

Survey results help form the basis of the colleges development plan, catering and the fm team also do the same.

We have about 6 different surveys over the year in the college covering different areas of the college so keep them to 1 a year to prevent people getting frustrated with too many.

You do have to prep staff a little before doing them, explain why. You could always put everyone who completes into a prize draw as an assentive.
    Last edited by gaz350; 20th October 2010 at 05:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    We do one a year normally and it ranges from questions on support, access to the rooms / kit, reliability of kit, software, support structure, Internet, Filtering, VLE etc. I'm not expecting this years to be wonderful by any means, its been a chaotic half term, we moved to an entire new LAN setup over the summer so we have, quite understandably tbh to say we only started building it in late June, been bug finding and sorting issues out, so we do expect it to be low rating, but as has been said in these cases its often a case of negative stuff shows through rather than the amazing help they have given etc. But I do expect some nice things to come out of it.

Thank Post
    The bonus in doing the survey (anonymously or otherwise) is that 90% of the whinges will be things you can fix in 10 minutes if they'd actually told you. 2% will be illegal/unacceptable in a school and 1% would require you to break the laws of physics. That'll leave 2% of really tricky problems and a 98% reduction in reported problems.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The other thing you can do is start your marketing of the services you provide, etc about 6 weeks before you launch the survey so that the information is fresh in teh minds of users.

Or you can do the survey as planned but then market your services throughout the next 3 months and see the difference.

A lot of making the survey successful is getting people to complete it, getting people to be constructive and getting people to understand what (and how) you offer services to them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread