+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, eBay Payment. Is this "dodgy"? in General; I've sold an item on eBay and sold quite a few items successfully before. I've recently sold an item and ...

Thank Post

eBay Payment. Is this "dodgy"?

I've sold an item on eBay and sold quite a few items successfully before.

I've recently sold an item and had a message from "eBay" (in my messages inbox within 'My eBay') that looks like a generic standard eBay message saying:

The buyer has sent their payment for the item listed below and it is currently being processed by PayPal. You can also sign into your PayPal account now to check the status of this payment.

PayPal is the safer, easier way to get paid online. After you claim your payment, you can withdraw your funds immediately or keep it in your PayPal account for use later. Learn more.

This message was sent to your eBay account and to your email address, so you can view this information in your message centre in My eBay and in your inbox.
    A few things have set off my 'alarm' senses:

1) There is a big "claim your payment" button waiting to be clicked. As far as I was aware, payments automatically went into your Paypal account?
    2) Following on from 1), there is no trace of a "pending" payment in my PayPal account.
    3) It says a copy of the message was sent to my e-mail address, and there has been no e-mail sent.

This is all looking a tad strange. Does anyone concur?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    That sounds like the message you get when the email address they sent payment to isn't yet registered with PayPal. Check the email address they sent payment to for typos (including whether you yourself filled it in correctly in the listing information).

Thank Post
    As a rule of thumb it's best to read any emails like that as raw text rather than the HTML version as raw text allows you to see at a pinch if the email has a faked URL, etc...

For things like banks, online stores, etc... I'd always have a bookmark to the genuine site and use that to get to wherever you need to go, to verify the message.

There's more than a few times I've nearly been caught out by eBay messages with things like "dispute filed against you", etc... and they very nearly get past my common sense meter so getting into good habits that avoid clicking any email links is worth the hassle.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post

I've recently sold an item and had a message from "eBay" (in my messages inbox within 'My eBay') that looks like a generic standard eBay message saying:

Not his email guys.... within the messages section of eBay.

To be honest Ive come across this before, if you login to your paypal its most likely hes payed by echeque, this happens when the payment card used by the buyer has become inactive/expired but echeques can still be processed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 806 Posts
    I've had one like this before too, claimed the payment and it went through Paypal fine for me. If you're unsure, you'd be best emailing eBay support to check it out for you, they're fairly quick at giving a response

Thank Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

Looks like it was a misspelt e-mail address!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread