+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Which Home Broadband provider? in General; Vote for Nildram here... I've been with them now for over a year and had one downtime. Sure you have ...
    Thank Post

Re: Which Home Broadband provider?

Vote for Nildram here...

I've been with them now for over a year and had one downtime. Sure you have to pay for the connection but that's only if you're moving house or starting fresh. As an existing ADSL customer I think it's still free (check the website).

FWIW though, I've never regretted the charge having seen the joys of Freeserve, PlusNet, Talktalk, etc... What it cost in money it saved in hair retained

Thank Post

I just checked out the Zen website (was interested in the 1 month contract - might be able to persuade Mum to try it out and its unbelievably informative and upfront about real download speeds (but no ping times unfortunately Chris)

Worth looking at for the info if your on ADSL

regards

Simon

Thank Post

I originally went for Zen specifically for the 1 month contract. I was waiting for Talk Talk to activate in my area and was going to swap to them.

However I've been so impressed with Zen and have read all the horror stories with Talk Talk so decided to stay with them.

Been with them since May last year and had no problems at all.
    (Well two problems but one was BT ballsing up at the exchange and the other was my router throwing an unexpected fit, so no fault of Zen's).

I get regular download speeds in the range of 750 - 900k/sec

Thank Post

No-one championed BT?!

I am contractually obliged to be nice about them, being the son of the inventor of broadband (well, him and a guy called Eric) and thus receives BT Broadband at a significant discount. I've never had any problems with them, but then I guess I wouldn't.

Thank Post

<deleted - duplicate post>

Thank Post

Earlier on this thread, I spoke of freedom2surf being very good, and they still are. But I've decided to change ISP to help my brother out. He has taken over a reseller of entanet broadband products which at the time was in it's very early stages. When he started just about two months ago, there was just a hand full of customers. Now the numbers are steadily growing everyday. This is due to word of mouth / forum. So I have migrated across, and who knows, when he is competing against the big guns, he might consider employing me :P

He is very knowledgable on ADSL and provides all first line support himself via an online helpdesk, MSN and a freephone number which he mans from tea time onwards. (How many ISPs do you know of who have a freephone support number?)

For anyone who is interested, the website is http://www.adsl24.co.uk

You can read some customer reviews HERE

[EDIT] It's also worth a look at the kind of controls / info you get when you join up: Account Overview

As I said it is in its early days yet, but it's only a 1 month contract so worth a try if you are fed up of bad aftercare / support and want a personal service.

Oh, and to freedom2surf's credit, when I rang them up asking for my MAC, they promptly delivered one into my inbox without any fuss within the minute. Even leaving them has been a breath of fresh air, compared to Tiscali, my ISP previous to f2s.

Thank Post

@woody: The only problem I can see with your brother's personal support service is the fact that two of his support services require your broadband to be working

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    @woody: The only problem I can see with your brother's personal support service is the fact that two of his support services require your broadband to be working
    LOL. I didn't really give a full breakdown of the support options. Because my brother can only man the phone from after teatime, (as you've probably guessed he holds a day time job but hopefully not for long if the isp goes well) he does provide a mobile number to be contacted on for day time support. The cost of contacting him on a mobile is kept to a minumum because he rings the customer back. For not so urgent calls, a message can be left anytime through the day on the 0800 number and my brother picks it up when he gets in.

So the answer is, support is still available even if your broadband is broken

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton
    I think we'll see an overall trend towards per-meg charges in future - especially as convergence between IP traffic and voice continues.

My favoured ISP is Easynet (aka UK online) - very reliable.
    Please clarify -- per meg? Do you mean per mb/sec or do you mean per meg downloaded?

If it's the latter and ISP's try this I forsee a lot of ISP's losing a LOT of custom very damn fast. Consider the amount of us that play games lots -- thats a lot of data going back and forth. And god forbid any of us try downloading a few hundred megs of DirectX SDK or whatever... A bill for a few hundred in a month? That'll make people close accounts quick and UK telecoms will regress back into 56k for all but the die-hard.

Other European countries provide cheap, fast broadband (see: the netherlands, I have a friend who pays less than me for BB and is about 10 times faster) so why can't we? It's BT trying to squeeze as much cash out of us as possible if you ask me!

As for me, I'm with PLUSNet, They're not too shabby but I hear they've been acquired by BT (which is probably why you've been throttled). I've not suffered such throttling problems (or not noticed) but the only thing I cannot abide is their cheap and nasty customer service.

I was on the phone to them once for TWO HOURS and then they just hung up on me.

Thank Post

I'd recommend Be Unlimited if you're in an area served by their LLU Service, see my experience of them here

Thank Post

I'm actually still with NTL (or Virgin as they are now), rather nicely I got a letter last week saying that they are upgrading my 10mb line to a 20mb line next month. Which is nice

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Already on Virgin 20mbit here. I'm also on the 'traffic management' trial as I'm in the NW. Fortunately I appear to be outwitting their network engineers and I am actively evading their traffic shaping efforts.

Thank Post

+4 for Zen. Love 'em to bits, get what you pay for imho.

Thank Post

Im still finding F2S fine after switching

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm currently with Orange, for £5 a month for 'unlimited' (which is actually around 50GB). I have been with BT also but found their service to be awful. Connections dropped regularly and the BT Homehub is absolutely useless.

So far, Orange seem fine. Connection speed is as I expected in the area I'm in and I've not suffered any problems as yet.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast