+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Virgin or Sky in General; Good aftrenoon Folks, It is advice time...........I am finally taking the leap of faith and moving in with my girlfriend. ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Virgin or Sky

Good aftrenoon Folks,

It is advice time...........I am finally taking the leap of faith and moving in with my girlfriend. (I am sure she waould say the same!) Now obviously I will take care of the essentials which include tv viewing. I have always had Sky and never thought that much of Virgin until recent times but it does look a lot more impressive now.

I wondered what everybody's thoughts/experiences/recommendations are?

Thanks for your help with this matter!

Chris
    Team CP

Thank Post
    i cant get virgin in my area so i cant comment on them but i am having a few issues with sky at the moment internet especially its really bad and also the sky tv boxes are rubbish quality there forever breaking if i could get virgin i would swap as i here good things about them but this is only from what i hear about virgin

kelly

Thank Post
    I've had several broadband suppliers over the last few years and have found Sky BB to be the best, most stable by far.

Never had any problems with any of my Sky/Sky+/HD boxes either. Maybe I have just been lucky?

Andrew

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Sky has been fantastic since I've had it... but then I'm judging it against BT when we had no choice

If you are going to have Sky TV, you may as well not pay extra for the broadband and get the inclusive package.

We let them take-over our BT phoneline too. It's worked out far cheaper than when we were with BT.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 842 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No problems here with sky either. Virgin have crappy throttling and policies in general so I would avoid

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adhutton View Post
    I've had several broadband suppliers over the last few years and have found Sky BB to be the best, most stable by far.

Never had any problems with any of my Sky/Sky+/HD boxes either. Maybe I have just been lucky?

Andrew
    im on my 3rd hd box lol in a year and a half maybe i use it to much!! lol

kelly

Thank Post
    I've got TV(HD), calls and broadband all with sky. The broadband (LLU) is excellent for the money. Never taken the leap to hand over my line rental to them but perhaps I should. Haven't a single complaint except the regular price increases!

coquet636
    must be nice to have a choice... up here in the sticks we aint got much choice, but depending what you want and how much to pay.... as a fan of rugby football darts and cricket, sky is essential, thats right essential...(or is that just me) as most of the rugby and cricket gets moved down to Skysports 3 and 4 when theres football on. I dont like the price, i still think its too much, but i am prepared to pay it... JUST..!!!!

Also with an iphone i can record anything i want from anywhere, suppose you can do this for other providers, but is just so easy with iphone and sky hd box.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,579 Times in 1,795 Posts
    Down here the package we have with Virgin - phone, broadband and the 'large' TV package is quite a lot cheaper than the equivalent Sky package - not sure why but we check it regularly and this remains the case

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have had sky since the days before they bought out BSB (anyone remember those rectangular dishes?)

I hate the fact that sky gives so much money to the EPL and nothing to the SPL, and as such dont subscribe to any sports package, but the rest of it rocks.

It probably works out a bit more expensive, but with a BT line rental, Be* (truly) unlimited 24meg adsl2+ (which connects at 16mb) and a sky+ multiroom subscription, the whole family is happy.

Virgin came within about 20km of my town, so stuff them. And now I read they are introducing throttling / caps onto even their XXL customers for broadband.

edit: got a dreambox and a subscription to ART and al jezeera sports which does me for the soccer.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    No problems here with sky either. Virgin have crappy throttling and policies in general so I would avoid
    But which is better? A 10Mbit broadband which gets throttled to 2Mbit if you download loads of stuff or an "up to 8Mbit" which only ever delivers 2Mbit (or maybe 3 or 4 but you can never be sure??)

Virgin has always been rock solid for me and I know what I can and can't do and when I can/can't do it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have Virgin myself personally and have never had any problems with bandwidth or/ speed for that matter. although I am not going to say they are perfect because i have read of alot of people have problems with them in the past

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    But which is better? A 10Mbit broadband which gets throttled to 2Mbit if you download loads of stuff or an "up to 8Mbit" which only ever delivers 2Mbit (or maybe 3 or 4 but you can never be sure??)

Virgin has always been rock solid for me and I know what I can and can't do and when I can/can't do it.

Ill stick to my Up to 24mbit which sits happily at 16mbit and no download limits </smug>

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Ill stick to my Up to 24mbit which sits happily at 16mbit and no download limits </smug>
    * Finger hovers over negative rep *

You can really get to dislike some people!

Personally, I was delighted when we finally got the ability to escape from the 0.8mbit supplied by BT and got 3.52mbit with Sky next day. We had to wait a long time, but it was worth it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 1,016 Posts
    www.bethere.co.uk who are under 02 if you are going with DSL, If you get the 50mb virgin package then there shouldnt be any throttling but am not in a virgin area anymore so not sure. I know KMOUNT on here is with virgin media - worth while asking him ( maybe a pm )

Never been with sky so cant comment on them

bethere support is out sourced to foreigners but have never had to use it - if you want the support etc then

http://www.cerberusnetworks.co.uk/rt_home.html

Although saying that I am not sure what 02 are like but I know cerberus are darned good support wise, always come back pretty fast with any questions Ive had.
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 15th October 2010 at 06:06 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast