+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Microlibrarian Help Desk costs in General; ...

Thank Post

Microlibrarian Help Desk costs

These have always been around £100 per annum and whilst we seldom use it, our librabrian has been able to call on their support rather than asking me. However, the cost has now risen to £347, which is too much for us. So rather than them getting £100 for next to no effort, they now will get zilch!

Thank Post
    I've just researched what we're paying, and lets just say, you've got it light! I'm sending you a PM.

Thank Post
    We use Junior Librarian, which is the lite version.

Thank Post
    We use Eclipse.net from Microlib and the support has been very good from them. Though had quite a few tech issues during the upgrade over summer from SQL 2005 and windows server 2003 to Windows Server 2008 R2 and MSSQL Server 2008 R2. System was purchased before I started, by our librarian and no idea of costs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    We use Eclipse.net from Microlib and the support has been very good from them. Though had quite a few tech issues during the upgrade over summer from SQL 2005 and windows server 2003 to Windows Server 2008 R2 and MSSQL Server 2008 R2. System was purchased before I started, by our librarian and no idea of costs.
    Just looked at the requirements for that. Surely it doesn't need 42GB of RAM as per their documentation?

Thank Post
    I guess if we don't got for it we will miss all the updates. I've sugessted our librarian contact them to do a deal.

Thank Post
    I know ours is a lot more than that!!! I have nothing to do with that side of "her" system so if she is wasting money not my problem. Although when she starts demanding she should have the server under her desk and have the admin password that is my problem...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Just looked at the requirements for that. Surely it doesn't need 42GB of RAM as per their documentation?

I beleive the specs are 4GB for the server and 1GB for the Librarian workstation. 42GB is unreasonable in any circumstance...

I've got Eclipse.net running on less than 3GB with the SQL server and IIS running fine, Not Ideal! RAM is heavily used, though it will be upgraded to 4GB within a few weeks. Atm there is just the librarian and ~6 library computers that access it at anytime.

With regards to costs, what would be an appropriate alternative that you could go to if you had the choice? I would prefer a MySQL/PHP based app as I have both an Apache2 and MySQL DB server running very efficiently and quickly, compared with the overhead of MSSQL and IIS.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    We use ecplise runs happily on a vm with 2gb ram (server 2k3 sql 2005) and trundles along - all students can access the web interface from either home or in school

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    This is intersting that this has come up. I have been researching costs for Library systems to replace our now dead Alice setup and wanted an MLS one and the costs I felt were astronomic for what it was! This clearly shows that its not just me that think its rather costly as well!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    This is intersting that this has come up. I have been researching costs for Library systems to replace our now dead Alice setup and wanted an MLS one and the costs I felt were astronomic for what it was! This clearly shows that its not just me that think its rather costly as well!
    If you had Alice, why not move to Oliver?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    If you had Alice, why not move to Oliver?
    As I cannot find many people that rate Oliver or Softlink (a quick search on here proves that) which is also the experience a friend of mine who worked for a school library service not so long since found that Oliver and Softlink were not really recommendable in her opinion either. Plus from what I have seen on-line of Oliver it isn't a patch on MLS, plus they want nearly half the cost of MLS for Oliver (as someone didn't keep up on the maintenance agreement of Alice GRRR!) Anyway we are digressing... All I was making was its interesting that we are having people on here finding the costs high as they were very oh no-one ever says that to us when I was talking to them about buying Eclipse, I think I may just point them here!

Thank Post
    dont you lose all the updates and stuff like pics/info for new books if you dont pay support?

Thank Post
    yes you do, also they include help desk support (which is very prompt), a free replacement barcode reader is the current is beyond repair, discovery online (pics, book info associated with barcode) and software updates, as and when, plus a few other things.

Thank Post
    I think this is a perfect example of companies ripping off schools. Our cost for support on this software is also about £350. We barely have that many books in our library. The cost of this subscription simply cannot be justified. If you are reading this Microlib rep, then go ahead. Take up my challenge and explain how a school can get value for money for this fee.

Why are the support charges so disproportinate in comparison with support charges from other main stream software suppliers? Because the market for this software is schools! Particularly smaller primary schools. The invoice arrives in the school office..."ah we need our library system - just pay it" no questions asked.

Stop ripping off schools Microlib!

16. Thanks to mwnci from:

flewitt (15th July 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast