+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Microlibrarian Help Desk costs in General; Our librarian upgraded to eclipse.net because it was demo'd to her and it looked shiny (basically). It costs a ludicrous ...
    Thank Post
    Our librarian upgraded to eclipse.net because it was demo'd to her and it looked shiny (basically). It costs a ludicrous amount of money but the absolute kicker is she comes to us for tech support, we tell her to ring the people SHE has paid for tech support and she whines that she can't do it because IT is surely our job.

I really really really wish they would ask someone from IT to go on the interview panel so they can get a measure of how IT literate they are. In my eyes a librarian has to be reasonably IT literate, ours is not and it means MLS effectively get a large sum of cash for support which they don't even have to provide.

Thank Post
    I put Eclipse.Net in place in conjunction with the Library Manager and provide her with first line support and act as the interface to MLS. I think the support charge is reasonable for a whole school product when I compare the charges for other products we use and the previous library system. However, I find the support from MLS to be very weak at times and they focus on tweaks and changes that have no direct benefit to us - I don't need Silverlight, I need the reports to work as intended (reporting from Eclipse.net produces results that I have no faith in) and the search mechanism to be better. The Sharepoint webparts killed my server and SQL server; would like them to work at some time in the near future. The Connect tool has been revamped and now the automated adding of new staff/deletion of old staff based on updates from SIMs doesn't happen; it's now a student only update. Poor change management.

If I was asked to look at library tools again, I'd still go with Eclipse.Net.

Thank Post
    microlib are chasing me at the minute to renew the help desk and every time they phone the cost comes down so I am waiting for an acceptable price so asking for a discount may be a good idea they wanted £270 to renew this year they are down to £200 but I would like the bit that updates users from sims as well so waiting for them to ring again I'll let you know what they come up with.

4. Thanks to alextreadwell from:

laserblazer (21st October 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alextreadwell View Post
    microlib are chasing me at the minute to renew the help desk and every time they phone the cost comes down so I am waiting for an acceptable price so asking for a discount may be a good idea they wanted £270 to renew this year they are down to £200 but I would like the bit that updates users from sims as well so waiting for them to ring again I'll let you know what they come up with.
    Very interesting What size school are you?

Thank Post
    if you have still got an active support contract the tools are freely downloadable from there site.

it is expensive in some respect if you are not dependant on the helpdesk support but alot of the features need the information they are providing for you so they have you you on that one.

the librarian here could do without the extra's that come with the contract so it stays..

MLS

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mwnci View Post
    I think this is a perfect example of companies ripping off schools. Our cost for support on this software is also about £350. We barely have that many books in our library. The cost of this subscription simply cannot be justified. If you are reading this Microlib rep, then go ahead. Take up my challenge and explain how a school can get value for money for this fee.

Why are the support charges so disproportinate in comparison with support charges from other main stream software suppliers? Because the market for this software is schools! Particularly smaller primary schools. The invoice arrives in the school office..."ah we need our library system - just pay it" no questions asked.

Stop ripping off schools Microlib!
    Hi mwcni

Thank you for your comments about the support packages offered by MLS. It is regrettable to hear your comments about ‘ripping schools off’ as we pride ourselves in delivering a high quality, value for money support package for our 12,000 plus clients. I would like to take this opportunity to confirm what is included with the Advantage Help Desk subscription. Packages do vary for primary and secondary schools and also where the subscription includes hosting costs however, most schools receive the following:

Unlimited Help Desk Support including: MyMLS, online knowledgebase, forum, live chat, tutorials.
    Software updates.

Discovery Online data – automatic online cataloguing by scanning the book ISBN

Discovery Online enrichment - adds fabulous book cover images, summaries and Meet the Author video clips to your catalogue records.

Unlimited FREE barcode labels.

FREE replacement Barcode Reader. (conditions apply)

LabelPrint – prints Dewey spine labels and additional barcode labels for resources.

WebLinks data – Thousands of approved websites for your children to search.

10% discount off selected other MLS products & services.

Attendance at regular User Groups.

Digital Readit – online information skills programme

If you feel you are not receiving value for money with your current subscription or have any comments about the service you have received, please feel free to contact myself or our Managing Director (Andy O’Brien) directly on 0161 449 9357. We would be delighted to hear from you.

Regards

Colin Lloyd
    Customer Service Manager

Thank Post
    But for older products like Eclipse2 and Junior, I understand that there will be no big improvements to functionality/updates and as such why should a school who is not benefiting from that side of things pay the same price as a school using the latest Eclipse.net where updates are being sent out the door more frequently?

I wish you would offer unbundled support so we can pay for the discovery, the labels, the book covers etc but not the parts we are not benefiting from such as helpdesk support and updates. Given that there's no updates coming I think it is safe for most schools to assume that their Eclipse2/Junior library system isn't going to go belly up suddenly. Whereas Eclipse.net on the other hand.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12