+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, What would be sensible? - Power User or? in General; I work part-time in two schools and there is no money or inclination to give me more hours. When I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts

What would be sensible? - Power User or?

I work part-time in two schools and there is no money or inclination to give me more hours. When I am not at one, my boss, the ICT co-ord will have a go at fixing basic stuff that you dont need admin rights for - laptop issues, whiteboard issues or the like. At the other school there is no-one of that type and so if I am not there then the whole place comes to a grinding halt.
    I have found a very technically minded TA who is happy to sort out such issues as the caching server or local users managing to delete the proxy so they can't get on the internet, or people's mice freezing, or display issues etc etc.
    My questions are these: 1) without giving her full admin rights, should I make her a power user? If so, what could she do and how would I do it? and 2) what other problems could I allow her to have a go at? I have thought of: whiteboard problems (we have prometheans - lovely!), printing problems, but can't really think of anything else.
    All advice (except those who say 'make them give you more hours' - it isn't happening) gratefully received

Thank Post
    Granting power users will give alot of access to the machine in terms of viewing and making changes however it still wont allow you to make global hardware change's or install printers for example.

you could make the TA a local administrator on the machine's and a power user on the domain. So they would have a lot more control over the local pc's but still be relatively limited on the domain itself.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SHimmer45 View Post
    Granting power users will give alot of access to the machine in terms of viewing and making changes however it still wont allow you to make global hardware change's or install printers for example.

you could make the TA a local administrator on the machine's and a power user on the domain. So they would have a lot more control over the local pc's but still be relatively limited on the domain itself.
    That sounds the sort of thing I am looking for - how easy is this to do?

Thank Post
    you can add the TA to the powerusers group directly in AD, as for giving them local administrator access from what i have been looking at most suggestions recommend using a VB script at logon or defining a GPO, i havent tried this yet so cant comment on any problems yet.

Adding Domain user accounts by default to the Administrators group of domain computer - Petri.co.il forums by Daniel Petri

this thread looks like what you are after (using the restricted users)

so a DOMAIN account is then added to the groups you specify is how i am reading it, by using the restricted users section in AD

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread