+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, How do you get people to......(helpdesk) in General; give detailed info as to what the problem is? I am finding a fair few emails informing me: we have ...
    rad
    Thank Post

How do you get people to......(helpdesk)

give detailed info as to what the problem is?

I am finding a fair few emails informing me:
    we have 6 computers not working. (end of message)
    or
    computers x,y,z not working

Now sometimes we are lucky if they email us some just ring us up informing us of a problem or send a student to the room.

We dont have a "logged" system, only a "it@" email address. so ideas on a postcard please...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    When I was working in a school - each room had a laminated piece of paper that had a floor plan and showed each computer as a shape and each shape was numbered in correlation to the number on the PC ( a sticky label which had a number on each base unit )

We either left a number of simple and easy to fill out sheets left in a box in each class room or room that had computers or advised to at least leave info in the online tickets ref the computer number and what was wrong with said computer

ie

Computer3 - no one can logon
    Computer 7 - wont print when user 07Jbloggs logs in

they can see which computers they are as each computers base unit would have a number, if the base unit is tucked away out of site ie under the desk or something you could put the sticky labels on the monitors / screens - does not have to be huge just big enough to see and read

Just a thought

Thank Post
    try installing spiceworks, i've read it can piuck up on faults but not actually had chance to test yet - video looks good though!

Thank Post
    WebHelpDesk was a good product - used it right up until we moved to RM

I think UniPress do it and are on EG somewhere...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Spice works is good but if there is something in place that makes it easier for both sides ( tech support and end users ) then it should hopefully make it easier and better on both sides.

Also if you do get spiceworks to work 100% or a reasonable amount then it would be a good addition / compliment to having a ticketing system ( which spice works includes in there system )

OP Smart Desk by ICT NUT on here ( edugeek )

http://www.opsoftware.net/

Thank Post
    I come from a old school with a load of past problems that has taken me nearly 6 years to iron out from when I first started.

A lot of my teachers still prefer to come and find you, what I find easiest (which has been in operation since i started nearly 6 years ago) is a job sheet. The staff member fills it in and it comes to me so I can delegate it out.

If any of the ICT Suites have faulty PCs, the staff members there have a layout of the room which corresponds to the PC name EG RM1_01 and they let me know, usually through a text. I then set a FOG Cast going which clones the PC, renames it and then joins it onto the network.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    We have the Helpdesk in which people email too (for this we use request Tracker) sends an auto response with a ticket number. Each time they get the auto response it says can you ensure you have told us x y z and that if not please reply to this message.

aslong as they leave the subject line intact request tracker puts the second email underneath the 1st on the same ticket.

But sometimes its just a game of guess what the problem is as there is no hope with some people!!

Thank Post
    The main thing is; not to make it too complicated. I've seen one recently on which you select what category, sub-category, sub-sub-category along with filling in a full page of details, which is too complicated if a member of staff just wants to put, 'Keyboard missing on PC Number ##'. and don't get Caretakers involved on the Helpdesk.

(gets stuck in lift - presses call button... I'm stuck on the second floor in the dark... 'have you logged it as a job?' how the "%$^$%^£ am I supposed to log it?) I've heard some crackers in the past few weeks.

Thank Post
    My 2p, hope I haven't missed the point.

As people have said here, employ a proper helpdesk system that is easy for the end user to use.

Ultimately when people log requests giving little or no useful information, you just throw an email at them asking for more detail and not really doing anything until they provide you with that, where a real problem exists people will soon work it out.

Key things with a helpdesk app' are -

• Icon on the desktop that takes them to logging an incident (preferably with a login),
    • The application needs to help you in identifying the probem - i.e. it tells or even forces the user to enter a description of the fault and eqipment / software involved.
    • You can update cases at your end.
    • You can get statistics about logged incidents (helps identify staff training needs).
    • Look for a solution that lets you email from within the helpdesk application back to the user with a problem.
    • It's also important that machines all around school are clearly labelled so people can report faults acuurately.

You need to get the head / SLT to support you in this (to help secure this point out the accountability / audit trail type features the helpdesk product can offer and if there are reporting features etc)

Roll the helpdesk out to the most able users first (staff and kids) as a trial and get feedback from them. During this period you can learn how to monitor it properly and find any changes you might want to make.

Go live for real and promote it throughout the school as much as you can encouraging people to use the helpdesk over other methods wherever possible.

Once it is being used you'll want to treat incidents logged by the helpdesk system as higher priority (except in genuinely desperate cases) so that people get used to getting a quicker answer from the helpdesk.

Finally don't accept incidents logged any other way.
    Last edited by superfletch; 13th October 2010 at 10:37 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superfletch View Post
    Finally don't accept incidents logged any other way.
    I'm beginning to think this is the only way. You have to be incredibly tough on this point, at least at first, which will be incredibly unpopular. I haven't implemented this policy & currently have the helpdesk, a notepad list and an email list of tasks and it is doing my head in!

Also if your helpdesk allows email to tickets that seems to encourage people to use it as they are all ready familiar with email. It isn't ideal, especially when some eejit has a stupid sig tht gets attached to the helpdesk every time, but gets staff using it with no extra training & they have no change in experience except where they send it.

Thank Post
    We only accept incidents logged on the helpdesk. I sent an email out at the beginning of the year, stating how to find the PC number and that we needed detailed helpdesk requests.

If we get a request like "5 pcs not working" ... one of us instantly helpdesks back asking for PC names before we touch the call - and if we don't get a reply, we close the call. Hard, but that's the way that they need to learn

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread