+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Holy wow! in General; This is unbelievable. It truly is. I mean this has GOT to be the best open source software available to ...

Thank Post

Holy wow!

This is unbelievable. It truly is. I mean this has GOT to be the best open source software available to IT techs.

Just played with FOG, and all I can say is wow! Just wow!

Thank Post
    Yeah, we used it all last year (moved to a new build so using IT contractor stuff for now) They've got a facebook group - fog project I think.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    It's FOGing brilliant !!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 988 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Any more details? Would be a nice thing to have instead of just piles of nLited discs, how does it run? Just any old random server?

Thank Post
    You can install it on any old hardware, though you're probably going to want gigabit ethernet and a ton of space.

By default it runs its own DHCP daemon, which will most likely conflict with whatever you already have set up. In that case, all you have to do is make a few changes to the existing DHCP server so that anything with PXE booting gets pointed at the FOG server.

Or unplug the other server when you want to image machines.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Any more details? Would be a nice thing to have instead of just piles of nLited discs, how does it run? Just any old random server?
    Well, I'm just playing with it because our shared tech has 20 laptops to build as standalone. He was going to burn a load of Clonezilla discs but I asked him to hang fire. Looked into Clonezilla SE first, which needed two NICs and didn't seem very easy to install. Then we stumbled on FOG.

It seems that it's created by school techs. I just followed the very easy installation instructions on a Ubuntu 10.10 install (Desktop edition, not server), on a VM on my machine. The only thing I did different from the install instructions was to NOT install the DHCP server it provides as we already have this job being carried out by our servers. If you also do this, it gives you the instructions of what you need to do on your DHCP server(s) (insert the IP of the FOG in #65 or something, and a small string in #66 I think - takes seconds).

After that, it has easy instructions on how to upload your images to the FOG server, and then how to redeploy them. Everything is web based (management). It took about 30 mins to upload a 10 gig image over gig network, but I think it does some GZipping etc so our 10 gig image was only 5 gig on the server (I think). To put the image back onto the same machine took 10 minutes.

Not tried multicasting yet, but it seems that is a possibility with this too.

Overall, server installation on a VM took me about 30 minutes (including installing Ubuntu). Configuring it took about 5, and I had the image on the server and ready to deploy 30 minutes later.
    Last edited by Hightower; 13th October 2010 at 08:55 AM.

Thank Post
    Once it's all set up correctly you can image a machine, rename it, join it to the domain and place it in the correct OU all from the comfort of your own home (belive me, I've done it).

Thank Post
    Also, not sure how this can be configured for PXE boot on a CC4 network as I believe CC4 uses PXE for builds. Has anybody done this (we're not CC4 but the shared tech has 4 schools which are so it would be handy to know).

Thank Post
    We use WDS but fog certainly sounds good. Can't see any reason not to use WDS as it does what we want, but good to hear there is a good free alternative.

Thank Post
    We used FOG for about 18 months and it was brilliant. Amazing what you can do with it! We've now moved to using SCCM as it was very simple to use to get a single hardware independent image setup

Thank Post
    Use FOG primarily here, it has built all of our main IT suites. Compatibility with hardware is excellent, occasional laptop etc that won't work with it. Not bothered using Multicast, still doesn't take that long to deploy 30 large images at a time.

Built it on a HP ML115 here, with 2 1TB drives. The onboard RAID does not work with Linux, so you'll need to software RAID them. Install for Debian x64 (desktop/webserver, for tweaking etc) exactly as for Ubuntu, and the documentation is great.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Also, not sure how this can be configured for PXE boot on a CC4 network as I believe CC4 uses PXE for builds. Has anybody done this (we're not CC4 but the shared tech has 4 schools which are so it would be handy to know).
    PXE builds on CC4 are entirely optional.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    It is a great bit of kit! Get the vmware version ( FOG - Computer Cloning/Imaging solution Server (0.27) | Virtual Appliance Marketplace ) & have a play. Full guide is here - FOGUserGuide - FOGProject Wiki

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    PXE builds on CC4 are entirely optional.
    But can they work together if needs be? Or is it a case of one or the other, not both

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Used to use Fog before we got sccm in and yes its excellent.
    Also it does a lot more than just imaging, such as disk testing, disk wiping, memory testing, power management, file recovery, virus scanning...

Re: WDS, you may want to use Fog over WDS as it will image machines with a lower amount of RAM and provide a lot more functionality.
    Re: CC4, I can't see how this would integrate with CC4 or why you would want to. PXE builds are all ready to go on CC4 and they would brilliantly so why add Fog?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast