+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, SLR Camera advice or a noob? in General; ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbo_ap View Post
    no no no no no no. i did this and regretted it for years, only just got round to buying a good camera (450d), i hated the lens (lots of vignetting), also on the camera i had it had lcd eye piece and viewfinder. terible for low light.

get a canon and a cheap 35mm 1.8 for low light, this will give you a lot of scope. tripod is also very useful!
    depending on how you intend to use a camera a tripod is a must and not that expensive im using a £15 from argos Buy Adjustable Tripod - 147cm. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for . one does everything i need it to do and seems fairly indistructable. Monopods on the other hand ive got one and rarely use it they seem to be more hassle than they are worth to me but other people probably disagree and are probably more use if you have a whacking great lense on the camera and have it attached to that rather than the camera body itself

do canon even do a 35mm f1.8? the 50mm f1.8 is a god lense and can be had for <£100 new
    Last edited by sted; 12th October 2010 at 10:10 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I bought a 350d second hand with a selection of lenses off someone on here, and love it. I'd say take a look on ebay, find yourself a 350d/400d etc... and go from there.

As others have said, it can get very expensive, depending how far you want to go, but it is a great hobby. When you're out stood on a hill-top at dawn taking shots of sunrise etc... it'll be worth it

Thank Post
    I got into SLR photography about 6 months ago. I brought a used Nikon D3000 which is fantastic. It cost me £300 with the kit lens. I have now sold the 18-55mm kit lens and brought a 35mm 1.8 and its fantastic! really does produce some amazing shots.

There is really only one place i look for photography tips and thats froknowsphoto.com he produces really good videos every week on everything related to photography and also has a pretty decent forum.

On Fridays he has a beginners video which he uses a basic setup of a D3000 and 35mm 1.8 lens

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    the reg did a review of "budget" DSLRs

Budget DSLR Cameras ? reghardware

my current camera is the odd looking yashika f521
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_C8Dz6RfvNh...EZ-F521-01.jpg

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    Talk Photography™

Is a good place to have a look.
    I will second that motion I also use talkphotography, there is a massive wealth of experience on there. And a good place to get critique on your pictures.

As for looking at which camera to get i would recommend Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ plenty of reviews and run downs of all the specs of each camera.

Thank Post
    Find out if any of your mates also have SLRs: if they've gone for either Canon or Nikon and you buy the same brand you may be able to swap/borrow lenses, etc from each other. I bought a Nikon D40x a few years ago then discovered all my mates had Canons. The kit for either brand is incompatible with the other. Was also informed fairly recently that very few Nikon lenses will fit my D40x as it was a bit of an intermediate stage in development, whereas apparently most Canon lenses fit most Canon cameras. Grrr.
    Having said that, I bought my Nikon purely on feel - the Canon felt too small to grip comfotably, the Nikon is v comfy & I'm still very fond of it...but try before you buy!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ

Also consider Micro Four-Third format cameras - they have interchangeable lenses too like SLRs, but are similar in size to compacts.

Thank Post
    I bought a Canon 450d just over a year ago, and have absolutely loved it since the day it first arrived. Sturdy and robust without feeling too heavy. The weight of the camera is certainly something you'll want to consider too, as you'd be surprised how heavy they can feel after carting them around for a day on holiday etc...
    Mine arrived with both the EF-S 18-55mm, and the EF-S 55-250mm, both with IS. I've managed to capture some cracking shots with both, and until I reach a time when money permits upgrading, then I shall be more than happy to stick with these.

Sure, the initial cost is a little steep, however the paybacks are so worth it. I hope you enjoy whatever you chose to purchase!!

Thank Post
    I used to work for Canon and by far the most important thing is the lenses. If money is tight get a cheap body and spend the money on the lens you will see a big difference in sharpness / quality. Canon produce the glass for lots of other company and grade them all. I would think they keep the best back for their own lenses.

Thank Post
    I popped into two separate camera shops at lunch. One local independent shop and Jessops.

I had 2 different sets of info from each sales chap. The local guy did not really point out much or advise on what cameras were good. He showed me an Olympus E450 which looked and felt 'OK' and seemed to have a few features that don't mean alot to me at the moment! The zoom was not too bad but it did not feel "right".
    He also said an internal lithium battery is better then AA batteries.

The guy at Jessops seemed to me that he knew more about cameras. He asked what I wanted to use it for (landscapes, close ups, wildlife etc), what experience I had, price range etc and showed me a Fujifilm Finepix HS10. He said a fixed lens would be better as a starter to see how I go on. The camera had a auto mode for straight forward "point & shoot" but also had a lot of other customisable options for when I became more "experienced" with different settings, lens shut speeds etc. The zoom was a manual 30x zoom and felt more controllable then the automatic zoom on the Olympus.

The camera itself seemed very nice. I'm just wondering if AA batteries are a good option, and if Fuijifilm is a good make to go for?

Thank Post
    Answer these questions

How much do you want to spend?

Do you think its a passing fad or something your willing to spend time and money on over time?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My advice? Steer clear from fixed lens cameras. They may be easy to start out on but you end up stuck with a camera you've outgrown in a few months! I've been stuck on a fixed lens camera for a couple of years and it has frustrated me no end.

Lithium batteries are always good, just make sure you have spares.

The question here, what is your budget?

Thank Post
    1.) Not a huge ammount...

2.) Something I'd spend time on. I'm planning on doing an evening Photography course at my local college.

Budget would be (at the moment) no more then £350 max...

Thank Post
    Agree on the avoid fixed lense cameras. You will reach it's limits very quickly and then have to replace the entire camera rather than just a lense.

For £350 you can get a Canon EOS1000D with Lense.

Nice entry level camera if that's all you have to spend. If you can spend a bit more it would be well worth looking at the 450D.I know Jessops do 0% over 12 months.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 729 Posts
    Another vote for Canon. 1000D is a good entry level DSLR. Will ehco the posts above re 350D via ebay. Should be able to purchase a good one with kit lens for under £200.00

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast