+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Car Speakers in General; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts

Car Speakers

Need a pair of speakers to go in the front of my car

* one in passengers door and one in the drivers door

I am looking on this site

Car Audio Direct for car audio, car stereo, car radio navigation and multimedia electronics.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions ie richer sounds or the likes ??

Basically the music I listen to has a lot of bass etc and just wanted your opinions on which speakers would be best. As I don't want them to fall apart or break down in a month or two

Was looking at around the £50 mark

I have a 99 Nissan Almera if that helps ??

Thank Post
    What head unit you got? Depending how good/crap your speakers are its usually the headunit which is the weak link. But either way just buy a proper brand, its very rare indeed that you find a non-make which makes good audio equipment.

Thank Post
    I have the pioneer DEH BT 7100

Pioneer DEH-P7100BT Bluetooth CD Tuner with Voice: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Also you mention proper brand - but if you go to the link I posted from car audio direct they have different types of speakers ie 6 * 9, full range, 16cm, 17cm etc

Not sure which type ???

Thank Post
    You'll need to have a look around on the net, a owners club maybe, and find out what fits. Sometimes you can get 6x9s in there, sometimes deep speakers won't fit at all even if they are the correct diameter, sometimes you need mounting plates... Take the speaker out and measure it if you are in doubt, but id guess at the 5inch will be the ones you'll want though like i say you'll need to check as some of those on that site look quite deep.

Personally id be looking at the pioneer, infinity or the spl ones. But remember no matter which ones you go for (unless you spend alot!) the bass is never going to be great on little speakers - note this isnt a recommendation to buy 6x9s!
    Last edited by j17sparky; 11th October 2010 at 07:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,249 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have some second hand Focals (130A1's) for sale that I removed from my old car before I sold it. They are a bit more than £50 though. I'd take £170 for all 4 +tweeters.
    Oh, I also have an Alpine CDE-113BT with Parrot kit and iPod fittings for £80.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 11th October 2010 at 08:45 PM.

Thank Post
    @ J17sparky - Thanks for that - will have a look around, am not fussed about getting the el cheapo plastic grill stuff back on or around the speakers at the front, as long as I have some way of making sure the speakers will stay where they are - any suggestions on how I can do this ??

Never fitted speakers into a car before so all new to me tbh.

@ Dos Box - I don't have that kind of money and won't for quite some time but thanks for the offer

Just the speakers I have at the min are pretty much knackered and it's a pita trying to listen to music and driving to work and back without anything ie radio / cd / ipod etc is to say the least boring.

Also what speaker section were you looking at Sparky ?? The Coax ones ??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    @ J17sparky - Thanks for that - will have a look around, am not fussed about getting the el cheapo plastic grill stuff back on or around the speakers at the front
    Trouble with this is that it looks inviting for a car theif or drug adict as he sees shiny speakers he can steal and sell

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 812 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've always found Vibe speakers to be great for the price point.

They appreciate that full bass needs big magnets - and most of their 6x9 range have kevlar cones now too..

However, and obviously you'll need to measure the space you have, I'd go for these Vibe Slick 5 COMP - Speakers

incorporating a flat wide magnet, they should slide into most door cavities without impeding the electric windows, and have a seperate tweeter so the door mount deals with all the bass frequencies

look ideal!

Thank Post
    probably best bet is look at an owners forum see what size the std fit speakers are then just buy some better ones the same size and use the std mounting points if nothing else ite easier than cramming say 6x9s into a hole designed for 13cm round speakers

Thank Post
    For bass, fit the largest speakers possible in the door cavity. 5 1/4" should be fine, but preferably 6 1/2" if you can. Make sure you have full window movement with them fitted! Whach a bit of Dynamat Extreme or Damplifier Pro around and behind the speaker (whole door preferably, but expensive!) For the very best results, amp the speakers seperately but again this is budget permitting. If running from the head unit, a sensitive, good quality set of coax speakers will do fine.

Thank Post
    As said you really what your grills back on afterwards, but anyway it wont be the front thats teh problem, it will be the magnet getting in the way of the window mechanism or simply being too deep for the doior period. I just looked on the 5inch section as thats what most cars are.
    Those vibe ones domino said look quite tasty but by their spec you will most likely need a seperate amp aas the min input is 40wrms, which is around what the vast majority of headunits top out at. Its a myth that having speakers of a higher wrms rating than the amp/HU is the best way to go, its infact the other way round. What tends to happen is you wreck your amp trying to drive something far to "heavy" for it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread