+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Diesel car recommendations in General; Recommend Astra Mk3 TD- have had an estate 9 years now-very few problems apart from a new cylinder head a ...
    Thank Post
    Recommend Astra Mk3 TD- have had an estate 9 years now-very few problems apart from a new cylinder head a few years ago, is now on 150K .
    It's a GM engine - some say Isuzu engine (TDS) is better but mine's been fine (apart from the above).

it just goes on and on...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    I really like Citroens, I had two Xantias and am seriously thinking of going to a C5 for the comfort. I know that they have a poor reputation for reliability/electrics, but I might be tempted to risk it!
    Xantia's have very inconsistent build quality.

My folks have owned 3 of them, two of which were passed onto me.

The first one was an absolute joy;

Both my Dad and the previous owner hadn't looked after it properly. On one occasion my dad asked me to check the oil, it was off the bottom of the dip stick. The engine was obviously very worn, it used a litre of oil every 500 miles and sounded like a cement mixed full of bolts.

Despite this the engine pulled smoothly (it was the 1.8 8v petrol engine). And in two years the car only needed tires, brake pads and an exhaust (all item that will wear out on any car). The only fault that occurred was an actuator arm for the suspention system came detached, my mechanic fixed it for a tenner.

The other one, I owned for two months and then gave back to my parents after realising the following problems.

The Engine fan died,
    There was half and inch of water under the back seat,
    The driver's door needed it's hinges re welding because it was dropping,
    There was something wrong with the fueling, emu, because it had no pull at low revs.

The 3rd on seems to be ok, but then my folks haven't actually driven it for 18 months, so it's hard to tell. Seamed pretty all together on the two occasions I've borrowed it.

The guy who looks after my folk's Xantias has advised against early C5s. I think the issue is they use the more troublesome suspension system from high end Xantias (VSX and Exective) and the XM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i may as well wade in too

i had a diesel 206 (of the 1.9 variety) which was ok, but at times could be a real bugger to start, or use in lower gears. have since got a 308 diesel and its amazing. it seems peugeot are doing something right with their diesel engines as a lot of them seem very decent.
    obviously the 308 will be above the 1000 limit you have, but id say judging by the amount of people with 306's here, it looks a good bet.
    if the 306's are the same as my 308, i'm averaging about 550/650 miles on a full tank (which is about £60). so i can generally get away with 5 weeks driving on a full tank before filling up

Thank Post
    Well I've bought a 306 - 1997 1.9XLD with about 120k on the clock for £725. Years MOT and Tax. Not immaculate cosmetically but I had a drive and it was nice, very smooth. So I'm happy

Thank Post
    ^^The XLD is the non-turbo (are you sure it's not an XLdT?), same as mine. Glacially slow. Not as good on fuel as the turbo. Mine benefitted from a heavy right foot, freed it up a bit. Incredibly tough car though.

Thank Post
    Oh b0llocks...knew I shouldnt have just bought it. Yeah I'm pretty sure its just an XLD (picking it up later)
    Oh well, I'll see how I get on with it. Tbh the full years MOT and tax probably made me a bit blind to what the car is actually like

Thank Post
    Don't despair, despite a bad rep on that engine it's still a good car. 72bhp, shorter gear ratios than the turbo. I just rev the guts off mine. it cruises nicely on motorways at 3krpm, and on B roads it's great fun as you just corner at the same speed you were doing. If you are not a quick driver, it's a good choice. If you like to make faster progress, it can be a bit frustrating.

Thank Post
    Hmm could be good news - I think it could be a Turbo afterall - putting the reg number in to get insurance quotes comes up with 306 TD LX, and the V5 has it down as a LX DT.
    Is there any physical way I can tell for sure, anything on the engine? I just assumed it wasnt as it didnt have the TurboDiesel badge on the back

Thank Post
    You will see a big intercooler on top of the engine, it looks like a radiator.

Thank Post
    Oh, yay then, because it has that

Thank Post
    If it has a Bosch injection pump, it can also be modified to run on veg oil (obviously with duty paid). There's a sticker on the pump, either Lucas or Bosch.

Thank Post
    Izusi engined Astra's or Cavalier will do monster miles and go high 40's/mid 50 even when driven hard, cracking cars a bit basic but cheap if you can find them.

Thank Post
    You will not go far wrong with a VAG 1.9 TDI engined car

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thefuturesbright View Post
    You will not go far wrong with a VAG 1.9 TDI engined car
    Fully Agreed, unless its too higly tuned then it will go nom nom nom on the Cam Shaft and Tappets

See this for how much it enjoys going nom nom nom on them.....

That was an expensive repair bill, well would have been but fortunately the garage I got the car from 3 months earlier stumped up labour and I paid for parts. Oh and before someone asks they were not the exact set out of mine, although I did fancy the Tappets as paperweights if they were cleaned and polished, they are from a thread on the VW Forum where this issue has been discussed many times....
    http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/165367/1086106.aspx

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12