+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Windows Phone 7 Launch today in General; Originally Posted by Gibbo If its anything like the leaked picture The Reg posted the otherday, I agree! But, rather ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    If its anything like the leaked picture The Reg posted the otherday, I agree!

But, rather than go for the side-to-side slider, they've gone for up and down.

I'd buy that LG phone! (If I hadn't just bought an android!!!)

Thank Post
    Not a fan on first impression...reminds me of the Zune - clunky

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,703 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the whole continuous panning idea that means they don't try to fit absoulutly everything on screen, it makes it feel bigger an less cluttered to me.
    Windows Phone 7 Launch today-windows-phone-newsroom_-image-gallery2.jpg

The whole seamless integration of all of the online services is also a compelling idea, sure WebOS did it first but hopefully MS makes it stick as the normal way of doing things.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's the right description of it, Sidewinder - 'clunky'...

Give me my HTC Desire anyday.

Thank Post
    A case of too little too late for me... getting really bored of the constant crashing and lag on my Touch Pro despite reflashing ROMs every few months, next up for me is the HTC Desire Z... qwerty keyboard and Android in one

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I honestly can't see what they can bring to the market. Apple and Android have the market pretty much cornered, and the advent of the sub £100 Android smartphones is going to convert even more to Android who wouldn't have considered it before.
    Agreed! I would not have spent £400 on a phone...but £100 is quite reasonable!

Were the Windows phones to come out at that price, then I'd consider it, but not until at least 2012!

(Or until I brick my LG, from rooting, and replacing OS!!!)

Thank Post
    Id never get a windows phone. Does not compete in any way with the wonder of my HTC desire and Android.

Been with android since the very start when the G1 was first released. All I can say is I love it. It gets better and better and I havent really found any faults or things that I dont like.

Plus I am a big user of google services so love all the integration.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I honestly can't see what they can bring to the market. Apple and Android have the market pretty much cornered, and the advent of the sub £100 Android smartphones is going to convert even more to Android who wouldn't have considered it before.
    They bring competition. Competition means innovation.

Thank Post
    I'm not a fan of the interface myself, but it would work *really* well on a tablet device. Microsoft really need to get onto that to smack the iPad about

and yes, it's nice that MS have stepped up the game at last. I'm an unashamed iPhone fanboy myself, but competition is good and means Apple are forced to keep up. The better the competition, the better for us all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 805 Posts
    Blog Entries
    But competition with Apple over operating systems brought us Vista and 7 - bells and whistles and style over substance, and a large chunk of us are left out in the cold.
    W7 is more then just bells and whistles.... and I am for WP7

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    But competition with Apple over operating systems brought us Vista and 7 - bells and whistles and style over substance, and a large chunk of us are left out in the cold.
    Vista is slated due to it being a major change from what came before, plus the annoying over-active UAC. Windows 7 solved those issues, and is a very nice OS. I prefer it to OS X now. I even prefer it to Ubuntu, which makes me sad somewhat. The thing is, consumers demand bells and whistles, and it is Apple that taught them to do that. Before Apple's designs, computers were dull grey boxes. Then they brought out the first iMac and shocked the world into thinking home electronics could be nice looking. Bells and whistles are good!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    I'm not a fan of the interface myself, but it would work *really* well on a tablet device. Microsoft really need to get onto that to smack the iPad about

and yes, it's nice that MS have stepped up the game at last. I'm an unashamed iPhone fanboy myself, but competition is good and means Apple are forced to keep up. The better the competition, the better for us all.
    Deffo about a separate OS for Microsoft based tablets. We've seen the Windows on a tablet before (which failed to take off!) and still the iPad will triumph because the interface makes sense. As much as I moaned about Apple backing out of making a Mac OS X version for the iPad initially and going lazy porting the iPhone's OS, why break something that doesn't need fixing?

However, Microsoft are always playing catch-up now. It doesn't look like WM7 goes one step ahead of Apples iOS in terms of it's usability and innovates touch screen software technology. iOS did that. It's just a different version of the same system. Apple aren't forced to keep up. They're leading the way unfortunately and setting benchmarks for the other companies. Android (which I used from its birth to version 2) is another adaptation and cheaper to deploy for other companies to use for their hardware that can't develop software to Apple's/Microsoft's/Google's/RIM's standards.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12