+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, It's not all fun and games living on site in General; I generally regard myself as very lucky to be able to rent one of the staff flats available on our ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts

It's not all fun and games living on site

I generally regard myself as very lucky to be able to rent one of the staff flats available on our school site, but shortly before sunrise this morning we were reminded that the convenience of our living arrangements sometimes comes at a cost. The school decided to give all of our alarm clocks a free upgrade to 'fire alarm' due to a fault in the admin building, leading to all of the site residents huddling outside in our dressing gowns and slippers while the caretakers toured the site checking for any actual fire.

Can I go back to bed now?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You have flats on site?! How did that come about?

Ouch with regards to the fire alarm, used to get that at Uni all the time.

Thank Post
    Just out of curiosity, what time was the alarm?

Thank Post
    Yes you are very very lucky - I would be more than happy to live on site if that option was available, it would save me £300 a month just on petrol!!!!

Butuz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gl3nnym View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what time was the alarm?
    About 6.45 - actually very close to when my alarm would normally go off anyway, but the shock of it made it feel a lot earlier :S

We have flats on site to aid recruitment (it helps that we're an independent school). The idea is that we can recruit teachers from further afield by offering them somewhere to live while they find a house in the area. I got one on the basis that I asked nicely, they were almost all empty when I started, and that when they are empty the school is not only losing out on rent but also has to pay the council tax on them.

Technically we are all only there temporarily, but I make myself useful around the site to try and encourage the bursar not to turf me out . The headmaster, deputy head, and caretaker have permanent residence on site as part of their contracts.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,921 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've been trying to get the school to do something like this. They even looked at buying a nearby B&B/hotel which was up for sale for a while, turning part of it into meeting rooms/conference centre, and other parts into accommodation for staff, and temporary accommodation for visitors. Sadly, they decided to build 3 new classrooms and a new wheelchair accessible reception/foyer instead.

Thank Post
    6:45? Pah I am just getting into my car at that time. Long commute!
    Not sure if I would like to live on site as people would never leave me alone.

Thank Post
    I have had a lot worse while living on site. Rarely does a month go by when one of the school alarms wont phone me at 3 am to tell me it is going off. Twice so far I have interrupted intruders alone.

But neither do I get disturbed by people at my door askin for help, everyone leaves each other be apart from being social. But I assume you have a similar deal to me where you get three meals a day, small amount of rent, no council tax, no bills. Its worth a bit of aggro now and then.

Thank Post
    Eurgh I'd never want to live on site! Would be horrible. Not that you can here anyway mind. I suppose its good like mentioned above, for new teachers looking for a place, but permanently? You'd technically always be at work!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexPilot View Post
    I have had a lot worse while living on site. Rarely does a month go by when one of the school alarms wont phone me at 3 am to tell me it is going off. Twice so far I have interrupted intruders alone.

But neither do I get disturbed by people at my door askin for help, everyone leaves each other be apart from being social. But I assume you have a similar deal to me where you get three meals a day, small amount of rent, no council tax, no bills. Its worth a bit of aggro now and then.
    We aren't boarding so no meals - it is just an alternate living arrangement for us. We pay electricity and council tax - everything is part of the (low) rent. I do go out if I hear the alarms, but I don't get notification of it as it's not an official duty. I have confronted trespassers once: it didn't end well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread