+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
General Chat Thread, SNOW CLOSURE in General; Few kids in most staff are here, we're open here in Coventry, just outside city centre, although i've just checked ...
    Thank Post
    Few kids in most staff are here, we're open here in Coventry, just outside city centre, although i've just checked the LA website and i'm not happy.

The school round the corner from my house, CLOSED.

4/6 of the primary schools i work at, CLOSED... why couldn't I be at one of those today

Although my kids are at school , theirs is open, but the two schools within a few streets are both closed.

Thank Post
    Snowing here, but we're open... and if it keeps up none of us are leaving. S'already practically impossible to get out of the carpark.

Set off on motorbike this morning, no sign of snow anywhere. Roads luverly. Got to petrol station, filled up, went in to pay, came out - white everywhere! Limped the bike home... phoned a taxi.

Thank Post

LEA do it again

Here in West Wales, We've had more snow that we had on Tuesday.

Guess what because of the 'over reaction' (now theres are joke) on Tuesday we're open. We're down to a third of pupils and half of the staff.

So far we have three fallers, all with lumps on their respective heads.

Pics will be up later.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    74 kids in school and thats going to go down at lunch time...

every other school around us has closed.. just our school thats stayed open.

owell just going to be a whole day on edugeek

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Found out last night that our school was closed *does a little dance*...

Dont understand why it isnt a blanket closure, solihull and Worcestershire are....

Praying for a long weekend now!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mortstar View Post
    Result, closed for me! We've had about 2 inches here...man southern softies can't handle the weather...running out of grit!?! It's the winter!!!

Back to bed.
    Grit runs out because you can't sensibly store it - the salt washes out of it if it gets rained on and it doesn't make sense to keep it in big dry warehouses (it would massively inflate the cost of storing and using it).

We just need to get used to the fact that every 10-20 years things will go wrong and there's nothing we can do (for a sensible price) to prevent them.

Thank Post
    Closed.

Breakfast is cooking and I'm having a lazy day. Oh yeh! Bring on the... snow?

Thank Post
    Nearly set of for school this morning... Took one look at the skid pan.. *oops* I mean, road and decided discretion was a better part of valour and about faced into the house. Just as well as the roads are not getting gritted out here North of Sheffield and it's Motorways, main A roads only getting anything. With 4 inches already and more still coming it's not looking good as tonight is a frost so slush = freeze and it becomes dangerous even to step out the door.

Have to laugh at all the press though. I translated a few of the main topics.

Parents and Business fury at schools lack of fortune telling skills
    People furious at local councils for basing salt stocks on previous 15 years experience
    People wonder why local councils don't employ more old ladies with crystal balls and odd dress sense.

I mean... for the love of Pete, gimme a break... It's nature! Since when did we have complete power over nature..

Thank Post
    at last! sense had taken over and we're closing in 15 mins. woo woo

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Grit runs out because you can't sensibly store it - the salt washes out of it if it gets rained on and it doesn't make sense to keep it in big dry warehouses (it would massively inflate the cost of storing and using it).

We just need to get used to the fact that every 10-20 years things will go wrong and there's nothing we can do (for a sensible price) to prevent them.
    Hmmm....I am from the (proper) North where we have had proper winters in the past, drifts to meters deep etc. This is barely even a cold snap - temperatures not getting much below freezing here in the midlands (where I live now). Yet they seem to not have grit this year. Smacks of budgetary cuts to me.

This is not a 'harsh winter'....it's snowed for about 3 days?!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm....I am from the (proper) North where we have had proper winters in the past, drifts to meters deep etc. This is barely even a cold snap - temperatures not getting much below freezing here in the midlands (where I live now). Yet they seem to not have grit this year. Smacks of budgetary cuts to me.
    We nabbed all the grit of course.

Thank Post

I don't know about you but I noticed that the gritters were out a lot more doing pro-active gritting when there was potential frosts, or similar conditions that would cause hazardous driving. Perhaps they just got a bit too slap dash with it and got caught out?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    How mean!! Is it private?
    nope apparently last 4 heads have been the same way....

oh yeah and guess whos in today too if we get the predicted heavy snow tonight and tomorrow theres no way im coming in again tomorrow.
    Last edited by lill; 5th February 2009 at 12:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    I live down the road from our local grit depot and they actually do have it covered. It used to be in a big open-sided structure (think large car garage made from aluminium siding) but I think that wasn't completely waterproof and if the wind blew the rain in the wrong direction it all got wet anyway. Recently it's been moved into in some big green dome structure that seems to have far less exposure.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It's not really about whether it's "harsh" or not - it's about whether more gritting is needed than has been needed in previous years. As @contink says, councils have to try and forecast what they need based on previous years - they don't really employ crystal ball readers. This year there have been a few more days when grit is needed and it runs out.

The alternative is having stocks left at the end of winter and equally wild tabloid headlines about councils wasting money buying grit which they don't need.

@jinnanotonix comments on snow chains etc - most people in the UK don't have them because most of them time they don't need them so they're a waste of money.

There's always a balance to be struck between spending enough money to cover all eventualities and not wasting money. @AngryTechnician's comment about the green dome shows that at least one council has decided that the extra cost of storage is worth it. (Perhaps London could borrow the O2 dome during the winter next year???)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast