+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, How are you supporting anti Bullying week (15th Nov to 19th) for your school? in General; Bullying is serious business in schools. I have been reading about students being bullied via electronic communications. I am curious ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

How are you supporting anti Bullying week (15th Nov to 19th) for your school?

Bullying is serious business in schools. I have been reading about students being bullied via electronic communications. I am curious to learn how schools are handling the growing cyber bullying issues that are out there, what kinds of software for example?

Thank Post
    We just tell them to stop it. Bullying is bullying, regardless of the medium.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    BBC - Schools Parents - Understanding cyber bullying Interesting video here, I would think a lot goes on in schools what is not always visable to the teacher or Head ......... technology could prevent some of these circumstances surely I would of thought so in this day and age.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioural problems....

5. Thanks to Domino from:

Hollie1985 (4th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I agree there is never a good technological solution to behavioural problems BUT if there was a technology in place this might well act as a deterrant for students looking to abuse such systems, email for example? Also technology can act as proof for when there is an issue going on with the Head and where parents have to come into the school for example, technology is evidence .........

Thank Post
    Bullying has to be dealt with openly across the school. We don't have microphones in the playgounds and we don't video kids as they interact throughout the day. Regardless of the manner in which bullying is taking place, you can only deal with it by creating an atmosphere where the students feel comfortable reporting it happening to themselves or someone else. It seems strange to say that when it is computer related we have to rely on technology to provide proof. What do we do then when it takes place in the playground/classroom? Do we have a seperate set of criteria to establish guilt?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I hear what you are saying. What I am trying to say is students spend a lot of time online and I'm just curious of how the children are protected online from this sort of thing..I spend a lot of time online myself and i can imagine younger teenage rebels to abuse the system maybe, so I'm curious as to what schools use these days to combat such issues that is all...

Thank Post
    Cyber bullying is, the majority of the time, outside of school where there are no filters for the internet at home or blocks on instant messaging services. There is no software that has been or will be made to combat and eradicate 'cyber bullying', as for any types of bullying it is down to education.

10. Thanks to apoth0r from:

JPS
    Thank Post
    So as to not discriminate, we are having a bullying week as well!

12. 2 Thanks to JPS:

apoth0r (4th October 2010), Hollie1985 (4th October 2010)

Thank Post
    A great video about cyber bullying - Digizen - View this award winning film that helps sensitise people to the hurt and pain that can be caused by cyberbullying. The film shows ways in which cyberbullying can occur, who it involves, how it can affect different people, and what can be done to prevent it and respond to it.

Cyber bullying enables bullying to take place anywhere at anytime, even in the security of your own home / bedroom. It is also harder to identify as there is no obvious evidence that teachers / other students would spot.

Our system is pretty tied down so there is little opportunity for cyber-bullying to occur, however, we always help a child who is being bullied outside of school using electronic communication.

14. Thanks to skunk from:

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    The best way to reduce the amount of bullying that you hear about is to remove the bully box and install curtains in the staffroom. [/joke]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I find it quite odd that certain people joke on the subject of young people being bullied, I find that very odd.

JPS
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollie1985 View Post
    I find it quite odd that certain people joke on the subject of young people being bullied, I find that very odd.
    I was just making the point that now everything/everybody has to be treated equally. You cant single out groups of people (in this case bullies) without upsetting somebody.

I was bullied at school for sticking out as a 'more intelligent' sort, or perhaps at least 'more studious' (pre cyber-bullying) and yeah it wasnt great but it had no lasting effect. I now know that most of those who were involved were jealous and havent had the success I have had in my career.

Thank Post
    It's probably because you have trolled the website promoting software that actually has nothing to do with anti-bullying, you've just used it as an excuse to show off the software you make.
    (No I haven't forgotten your previous post this morning about the same thing)

I'm just offended at how deviously you use anti-bullying to promote software.
    Perhaps some time in the education sector as a teaching assistant may wake you up to the actual day to day of this problem, rather then saying 'oh this company does anti-bullying software' when in fact you don't, you just have a mail logging system. BIG WHOOP.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well if you scroll up to the top of this thread, you will actually notice that I am looking to the EduGeek community to see other peoples views on this topic.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast