+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, How are you supporting anti Bullying week (15th Nov to 19th) for your school? in General; Well, not entirely true, you are asking what software they would use to catch people bullying. There is no technical ...

Thank Post
    Well, not entirely true, you are asking what software they would use to catch people bullying. There is no technical way to stop bullying from occurring. It gets boring really fast when people get hysterical about "cyber-bullying" as if it is worse than regular bullying. Any teacher with more than a couple months experience will laugh at the thought that by installing software you will stop all bullying in schools.

Bullying is a people issue and should be dealt with as such. We don't differentiate between people shouting names, making signs or writing nasty notes. Why then should something posted on the internet be different? Because it is at home? Not really as bullying occurs on the way home, on the bus or train. On the weekends when kids live near each other, in town when they gather to loiter outside shops.

Bullying is only stopped through education of students and by providing them with support. There is no Magic Pill.

2. Thanks to Jonny from:

Hollie1985 (4th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I am just saying that as a young person myself. I spend an unhealthy amount of time online and as being an IT person myself, I was curious on the technology which can help to not cure it but help put a STOP to online abuse, key words etc via reports. Yes this is a topic of interest to me because I believe it happens and I believe technology can be used to get to the bottom of ongoing issues related to such and I have seen this work in certain Academies with positive outcomes. That is all. Thanks everyone for your views though.

Thank Post
    Best protection from cyber bullying is to teach pupils how to use the delete and block buttons, not turn us into a survellance society.

5. Thanks to teejay from:

apoth0r (4th October 2010)

Thank Post
    So rather then ask the community, put something back and write a report on HOW and WHY it worked in those acadamies.

I anticipate your report

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,632 Posts
    As schools, our responsibility lies with "Safeguarding". This encompasses many areas including bullying and cyber-bulling, health & safety and e-safety. Our traditional role is to ensure the children are safe on school premises, but we also have a duty to teach the children how to stay safe outside the school. Safeguarding is a limiting judgment from Ofsted... i.e. fail on this and it affects the whole school's result.

Educating young people about the risks and teaching them how to stay safe and what to do if things go wrong is the most important thing.

Software can be used as a tool to help. For example, we have Hector ( a little screen saver that can be used if something offensive is seen on the internet). Schools have web and email filtering in place which contains language and content filters. If there are any running without filters, they are very foolhardy!

Personally, I can't see that another piece of software on top of what we run will help. It may not be the case in all schools. Technology is a method used by bullies, but it is by no means the only one.

In the same way as I tell parents that 'net nanny software' is not the solution to e-Safety, software solutions are not the whole answer to cyber-bulling. You can stop it on a computer, but the bully will simply use a mobile phone, or a piece of paper, or a tin of spray paint, or...

Like I said, we have to teach the children what to do when bullying occurs and we have to make sure that the bullies are deterred. This is down the SLT, policies and a consistent whole school human approach.

8. 3 Thanks to elsiegee40:

apoth0r (4th October 2010), Hollie1985 (7th October 2010), teejay (4th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Not doing anything special this week but I usually go over cyberbullying in assemblies as part of Internet safety day.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apoth0r View Post
    So rather then ask the community, put something back and write a report on HOW and WHY it worked in those acadamies.

I anticipate your report

Steve
    Ok I can put together a report Steve. Would you like to PM me your email address of where you want it sending?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12