+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Legal Change in General; HI I am sorry I did not know where to put this post so I have guessed. I think the ...
    Thank Post

Legal Change

HI

I am sorry I did not know where to put this post so I have guessed.

I think the world is going mad. Have a look at the new legal changes according to the news of the world. Employers face equality law nightmare as Coalition pushes ahead with Harriet Harman's Act | Mail Online

Richard

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Only one I agree with is the pay one I think all staff pay should be published in the staff room.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    Only one I agree with is the pay one I think all staff pay should be published in the staff room.
    i dont its nobody elses business what i earn

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with parts, and disagree with others. For example, people such as Vegans should not be picked on due to their desire to avoid animal products, or discriminated against. However, extending that provision to mean basically that people have a right not to be offended is a bit far - everyone gets offended by different things.

Seems to be a poorly thought out piece of legislation again.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    i dont its nobody elses business what i earn
    I happen to disagree. If your employed by the government then it is everybodys right to know.
    A simple FOI request would reveal the grading structure of all posts within the school, so why not publish them?
    We have a chart of all the different teaching grades on the staffroom wall, and tech/admin posts are available on the LEA website.
    Of course it doesn't match names to grades, nor should it. I believe the public has a right to know what any branch of government/LEA/school/hospital/police etc pays for different jobs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I agree with parts, and disagree with others. For example, people such as Vegans should not be picked on due to their desire to avoid animal products, or discriminated against. However, extending that provision to mean basically that people have a right not to be offended is a bit far - everyone gets offended by different things.

Seems to be a poorly thought out piece of legislation again.
    Yeah - otherwise it's just an enabler for the Mary Whitehouse brigade. I'm offended by people who can't rtfm, but it's a bit much to write a law allowing them to be prosecuted for it.

7. Thanks to pete from:

Mr.Ben (4th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There's a difference between publishing scales and knowing what an individual person earns. The prior should be available, the latter is up to the individual to publish.

9. Thanks to localzuk from:

CyberNerd (4th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Yeah - otherwise it's just an enabler for the Mary Whitehouse brigade. I'm offended by people who can't rtfm, but it's a bit much to write a law allowing them to be prosecuted for it.
    I am offended that you're offended. You will be hearing from my lawyers .

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    I am offended that you're offended. You will be hearing from my lawyers .
    Multiplier! bonus round

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    As usual the tabloids have extrapolated the provisions of the law to farcical proportions. My advice is to stop reading rags like the Daily Fail as most of what they print is utter tripe. On the example of the "SUE FOR ANYTHING!" rubbish, here are the conditions that have to be met for someone to potentially sue:

• the employee or job applicant is harassed on more than two occasions (not necessarily by the same person); and
    • the employer knows that it has happened; and
    • the employer fails to take steps that are reasonable in the circumstances to prevent such harassment happening to that person again.

So it's not like someone can crack an off-colour joke and instantly be liable. It has to have been actual harassment, it has to raised internally, and it only becomes a liability of the employer has essentially ignored the problem. If the employer takes reasonable steps to prevent it, the victim wouldn't be able to sue, even if it happened again. Unfortunately the tabloids don't like explaining stuff like this because headlines like "YOU CAN SUE IF YOUR BOSS DOESN'T TAKE REASONABLE ACTION" don't sell newspapers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The issue as I see it though is that the 'problem' could well be a non-problem and entirely down to the 'victim'. We had a member of staff here who felt they were being victimised by everyone in our office. The problem was, there was nothing going on from our side. What was happening was that the office has always had several functions such as accepting deliveries, playing host to people using spare desks randomly etc... This person expected all that to change because she was now using the office 2 times a week, and because we all carried on as normal, she felt victimised.

Now, using these laws, that sort of person could well find offence with our behaviours, make the bosses aware of it and quite rightly they'd do nothing about it. Would this then mean she would be entitled to drag the school through court due to this wrong perception?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    As usual the tabloids have extrapolated the provisions of the law to farcical proportions.
    Possibly, but if this law goes through I'm pretty sure that we'll soon be seeing Leech & Co, Solicitors, branching out from accident claims to, "Have you been offended at work? You may be entitled to claim compensation! Contact Leech & Co with details of your claim; we operate a 'no win, no fee' policy. Don't forget: if you've been offended, go on the offence with Leech & Co."

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    I'm offended by my line manager's use of bad language.... 'Touch base' etc. Could I sue?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are also issues with the fact you can no longer ask about am applicants health. So there is nothing that an employer can do when a new employee suddenly goes on long term sick with a previously known medical condition and you have to foot the bill.

dsm

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    As usual the tabloids have extrapolated the provisions of the law to farcical proportions. My advice is to stop reading rags like the Daily Fail as most of what they print is utter tripe. On the example of the "SUE FOR ANYTHING!" rubbish, here are the conditions that have to be met for someone to potentially sue:

• the employee or job applicant is harassed on more than two occasions (not necessarily by the same person); and
    • the employer knows that it has happened; and
    • the employer fails to take steps that are reasonable in the circumstances to prevent such harassment happening to that person again.

So it's not like someone can crack an off-colour joke and instantly be liable. It has to have been actual harassment, it has to raised internally, and it only becomes a liability of the employer has essentially ignored the problem. If the employer takes reasonable steps to prevent it, the victim wouldn't be able to sue, even if it happened again. Unfortunately the tabloids don't like explaining stuff like this because headlines like "YOU CAN SUE IF YOUR BOSS DOESN'T TAKE REASONABLE ACTION" don't sell newspapers.
    I agree... I saw the post linked to a Daily Mail article so immediately dismissed it as tosh!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast