+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Scrap vehicle tracking plans in General; Why on Earth the govt just didn't turn around to the automotive industry and say 'Right you lot. In 10 ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,276 Times in 1,051 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Scrap vehicle tracking plans

Why on Earth the govt just didn't turn around to the automotive industry and say 'Right you lot. In 10 years time all cars sold in the UK will have to be powered by either hydrogen or another non\low polluting fuel.
    The nus is then on the industry and not the consumer then. As it stands it is just another tax which will change nothing. People still need to work and travel, taxing them for the privilege is just a non starter. I see the govt has decided to ignore the petition though and is pressing ahead with trials non the less. Democracy in action eh?

Thank Post

Hows about someone sets up another poll:

We the undersigned, call for this online petition website to be shut down as the government will never take any notice of the public concerns raised on it.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    Why on Earth the govt just didn't turn around to the automotive industry and say 'Right you lot. In 10 years time all cars sold in the UK will have to be powered by either hydrogen or another non\low polluting fuel.
    I'd guess the primary reason is probably because if we all bought hydrogen/electric powered cars the government wouldn't be able to guilt trip us into paying such extortionate levels of tax on fuel. As people have said the government wants to decrease the use of fossil fuels but at the same time they dont want to lose the amount of tax it generates. I expect some of the large oil companies are doing some pretty serious lobbying to slow down any incentive for a move to alternative fuels.
    If I put my cynic cap on (I tend to wear it most of the time!) I suspect the reason for these per mile (sat-nav) road tax plans are because they know the days of fossil fuels and crazy fuel tax levels are limited and that's the reason they want to charge a per-mile road tax. Because lets face it, all they have to do is increase the duty tax on fuel and that just as effective a per-mile form of road tax as fitting sat-nav to everyone's car! So why go to all the hassle of trialing tracking device based systems unless you have another reason for it?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis
    Because lets face it, all they have to do is increase the duty tax on fuel and that just as effective a per-mile form of road tax as fitting sat-nav to everyone's car! So why go to all the hassle of trialing tracking device based systems unless you have another reason for it?
    Good point - I had not thought of that.... So lets thinks about it then - what possible use could the governement have for sat nav information on every car in the country????
    Big Brother has finally arrived - we know where you are and where you have been. Obviously the police would love such information...

Cheers
    Neil

Thank Post

Bear in mind that electric & hydrogen powered cars are not necessarily running on free or low pollutant fuels. I think they may be the way forward but.....
    Battery powered cars need to be charged, where does the electricity come from? The national grid, which in the UK still uses mainly fossil fuels to generate the power. An enormous amount of energy is also wasted due to transmission losses in the grid too. The same goes for Hydrogen fuel. The current method of creating hydrogen from water uses electricity. Unless you invest massive amounts in 'scrubbing' the emissions of power stations all you will do is shift the pollution from cars to power stations.....

We could build wind farms, but nobody wants them because they spoil the view.....

We could build nuclear power stations.... but then they create even more deadly waste....

What we really need is some joined-up thinking which embraces energy conservation, pollution management, transport requirements & probably a few other things too but this would need to be done at a global level to have any real impact on climate change.

Meanwhile, our Govt will continue to treat the motorists as 'cash-cows'.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,799 Posts

Re-privatise 'public' transport and heavily subsidise it - as a lot of countries do. More routes, less cost will certainly help to reduce car use and congestion.
    Ditto the railways - more people, more trains, more freight, less cost.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,276 Times in 1,051 Posts
    Blog Entries

A 14 mile 20 min commute by car costs £2.50 one way or 2 hours by public transport for £5.
    It doesn't even compare. The problem is our public transport is not 'joined up', even a 1 hour public transport commute may make me think about using it.

Thank Post

Right i have some questions to ask re. this subject.
    What would happen with the sat nav based tracker systems when the weather is bad as it usually is where i live and most of the sat nav systems i've come into contact are basically crap and don't work correctly when its cloudy. and would you get charged for driving through a tunnel and what about if you drove abroad?

all pointless questions i know, i what seems like a serious topic.
    Cheers Kris.

Thank Post

I can only comment on the efficiency of my own sat nav which comprises Tom tom installed on my mda and the GPS via a holox bluetooth receiver. I have found this to be devastatingly efficient. The only times it doesn't work is when you are in a tunnel. Weather has no effect on it to date and you can bet your bottom dollar that when and if the gov come up with a tracker scheme, it will be a lot better than my set up.
    I have heard on the news today however that the government are talking about scrapping the whole idea due to the pressure of public opinion - vote loser more like.
    Agree entirely with previous comments on this forum about the de-privatisation of public transportation systems. Heavily subsidise them, make them more available and people will use them.

Cheers
    Neil

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    A 14 mile 20 min commute by car costs £2.50 one way or 2 hours by public transport for £5.
    It doesn't even compare. The problem is our public transport is not 'joined up', even a 1 hour public transport commute may make me think about using it.
    Did you watch the 'Top Gear' programme where Clarkson and friends bought a car each and set themselves the challenge of getting from London to Manchester and back for less than the price of a train ticket???

£180 for the ticket - they all bought cars, drove there and back - and did it for less than the price of the ticket.....Laughable

Cheers
    Neil

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    Re-privatise 'public' transport and heavily subsidise it - as a lot of countries do. More routes, less cost will certainly help to reduce car use and congestion.
    Ditto the railways - more people, more trains, more freight, less cost.
    I think you mean take back into public ownership, Witch. I used to live in Sheffield in the late '70's and '80's, where public transport was subsidised. Buses were frequent, with major routes running 24 hour services, clean and usually no more than two years old. They also had conductors on board, which meant that once all passengers were aboard the bus could move along, rather than wait for the driver to collect the fares. The conductor generally ensured there was less trouble on board. And then came the free for all, with anything up to 80 buses per hour on the High Street, just in one direction. Some of these vehicles were a danger to life and limb.
    You have to ask yourself the question, what is public transport for? Is it there to make a profit for the owners, or is it a very good means of getting as many people as possible to work as cheaply, and efficiently, as possible?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,799 Posts

Sorry, you're right, I meant un-privatise.
    Trying to sort out and match up computer quotes and going slowly mental!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12