+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Publishing my salary in General; I'm an ICT Technician on the crap salary of £13k pa. I'm expected to look after 500+ PCs and Laptops, ...

Thank Post

Publishing my salary

I'm an ICT Technician on the crap salary of £13k pa.
    I'm expected to look after 500+ PCs and Laptops, printers, stock control, projectors, SIMS, network, web site, video, cameras, music keyboards and software etc etc.
    From what I can gather I'm the lowest paid member of staff except for the cleaners. Problem is that no-one believes this - one teacher said that I must be on at least £25k and should stop complaining!
    So, I was considering scanning my salary slip and emailing it to all staff in order to clarify my position and help them realise what a great deal they're getting.
    Now I understand that if I was on a decent salary then the school wouldn't like this as it could cause arguments and resentment among the rest of staff but since I'm the lowest paid then this issue wouldn't arise.
    Since my salary is my own business then I feel that I can do what I want with it.
    I can't see that it's a sacking offence although I'm sure that the Head and his cronies wouldn't be pleased.
    What do you think?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I'm not sure you should email to everyone. Perhaps do it a bit more discreetly if you think the teaching staff will be on your side, word travels fast.

Does your local authority have any sort of recommended payscales for your job?

Thank Post
    I do not really see what you are trying to achieve by wanting to do this. To be quite honest, most staff will think you are getting a raw deal on such a low salary but it won't start a campaign on their behalf to get your pay increased will it?

Work hard, build up a reputation for doing so. Try to get your salary reviewed and if you really are going to be stuck on this and you are not happy then keep your eyes peeled for other opportunities elsewhere. Sending your payslip information to staff could be seen as slightly childish by some and could certainly be seen as something done to cause trouble in the eyes of the leadership team.

I would be very wary about revealing my pay in this manner as some employers treat this as a disciplinary matter. Like i said, what will it achieve? To prove a teacher wrong? At the expense of making you look like some petulant techy? Not worth the trouble. Hope you can get your money raised though as that is painful to have to live on. Try asking for a meeting with your manager or head regarding this. Good luck.

Thank Post
    Formally request a pay review, I wouldn't do anything like scanning in your payslip. I would find half a dozen simelar jobs to yours advertised locally if you can, average the saleries and you've got something to aim for with evidence that the post is worth that amount. Personally with that many computers I'd expect there to be at least 2 of you as that is quite a workload so rather than aim for a massive increase, you may be better off negotiating for a second support person.

I was in a simelar position about 6 years ago on a simelar wage, which they wouldn't budge on. I found another job which I sucessfully got so they advertised the post first at my current salery, then when that got no applicants they increased it significantly which was a tad annoying - admitedly they did apologise to me when they actually realised how they had been underpaying me, but it was a bit late for that. The person who got the post made it a condition of his employment that they employed a second technician as well as the workload really was too much for one person, so their support costs increased markedly as a result - their loss. Amazing how schools can find money when they have no choice.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Request a salary review through SMT. If not find another job whilst working in your current job. 13k is a more than expletive wage.

But yes you don't go around posting your salary around to people, thats kinda low should I say maturity wise?

I agree with previous poster money will allways be found - amazingly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    If it is a LA school there must be payscales and if you really want people to know how badly you are paid, then you could publish these payscales, although I must admit I dont really see the point.
    That is dreadful money though, I thought mine was bad, I would look for another job immediately but DONT use this as a stick to beat your bosses with - you might get your pay rise but you will be labelled a troublemaker and could store up problems for yourself in the future

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SUSIT View Post
    I'm an ICT Technician on the crap salary of £13k pa.
    I'm expected to look after 500+ PCs and Laptops, printers, stock control, projectors, SIMS, network, web site, video, cameras, music keyboards and software etc etc.
    From what I can gather I'm the lowest paid member of staff except for the cleaners. Problem is that no-one believes this - one teacher said that I must be on at least £25k and should stop complaining!
    So, I was considering scanning my salary slip and emailing it to all staff in order to clarify my position and help them realise what a great deal they're getting.
    Now I understand that if I was on a decent salary then the school wouldn't like this as it could cause arguments and resentment among the rest of staff but since I'm the lowest paid then this issue wouldn't arise.
    Since my salary is my own business then I feel that I can do what I want with it.
    I can't see that it's a sacking offence although I'm sure that the Head and his cronies wouldn't be pleased.
    What do you think?
    have you thought about looking for another job ?.....preferably in an environment where you don't have people telling you to stop complaining because you 'must' be on the princely sum of 25k a year.

although i'm not sure support staff can ever escape the tongue in cheek or smart alec or resentful comments regarding pay and working conditions from the org's 'wealth creators'

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    As above, emailing it around won't really help, but you are perfectly within your rights to keep a copy handy in your drawer to show people if they are giving you stick. Any rules employers have had in the past about not discussing salary went out with the Equality Act 2010, which co-incidentally came into force today. Do make sure you're in a union however, as in my experience Heads and their cronies are quite happy running roughshod over employment law if they think they can get away with it.

You should definitely start looking, and if you find the prospects aren't dire, don't be afraid to make it known you are looking.

Thank Post
    Yup, you're right, it would be a pretty childish prank but I'm getting desparate here. I can hardly afford to run a car and if it has an expensive problem then I couldn't afford a fix so would be forced to leave as transport is essential.
    Look for another job? Of course I'm doing that but there's nothing any better about these days.
    Demand a pay review? Done that and was refused: 'No salary increases in the near future' I was told
    Work hard, build up a reputation for doing so? The problem here is that the vast majority of staff are so non-tech that they have no conception of the knowledge required to run the ICT operation.
    According to them:
    • The configuration & installation of a computer onto the school’s network is merely a matter of plugging it in, switching it on and clicking the mouse a few times.
    • Computer technology is perfect and the only problems that occur are strictly down to the fault of the I.T. technician.
    • I am fully conversant with all software ever created or likely to be created in the future.
    • Poorly-written software that doesn’t do what it says on the box is my responsibility.
    • Non-functioning websites located anywhere on the planet are fixable by your local I.T. department.

And also they have no idea of the power and responsibility in my hands. If one day I got so p***d off and decide to walk, I could shut down the network and SIMS in a matter of minutes - the school would be out of action for weeks.
    Of course, I have no intention of doing this but at the end of each month when my 'pittance slip' comes through...
    I saw a job the other day at Asda for shelf-fillers for a salary only slightly less than mine...
    There are many thousand of I.T. Techs in the country and if Edugeeks is anything to go by, most are highly knowledgable, severely underpaid slaves.
    Is there no Union or other body that's any good to fight for a fair wage?

Thank Post
    I.T. Techs in schools are paid badly. Its not going to change, after all your bosses said no to the increase! Its the case that most earn the same as a Teco worker, where in reality it should be more like 20 k +.

You don't seem happy. Get another job.

If you want it enough you will get it.
    Last edited by Jiser; 1st October 2010 at 09:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi
    Read this thread on a similar topic
    http://www.edugeek.net/forums/behind...valuation.html

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    Keep looking. According to a recruitment agency I talked to last time I was looking, the average job search takes around 4-6 months. It took me just over 6 months to find my current position (from Dec 08 - Jun 09), but it was damned well worth it when I did.

Here's my tips:

1. Get your CV straightened out and ready to send as a PDF or Word document at a moments notice.
    2. As you apply for jobs, build up a bank of covering letters that you can mix & match bits from to suit the application.
    3. If you want to stay in schools (not all of them pay badly) then build up a list of all the local schools websites you'd consider working for. Bookmark all the Vacancy pages and check them all once a week.
    4. Get the local jobs paper or check the website for it once a week.
    5. Get on some job sites. Local ones tend to be better if you don't want to travel far. Yes, they will send you a lot of junk but there may be a gem in there.
    6. Get on LinkedIn. You may not know many people on it (yet) but it only takes a few good connections. Last time I was jobhunting I would have had a very nice job come out of it had I not accepted my current position a week earlier.
    7. Don't be afraid to apply for jobs you aren't completely qualified for. Good managers don't hire people who are 100% qualified for the job they've applied for because those people tend to be coasting rather than pushing themselves.

Thank Post
    Thanks for your advice folks and yes I'm doing most of what AngryTechnician suggests.
    However, I am a little disapointed with the 'lay down and take it' attitude displayed on this and other threads on Edugeek.
    We all do a complex and important job for schools and they're totally dependant on the IT services we provide.
    Just because an ICT Tech has been poorly paid in the past shouldn't mean that this should always be the case.
    This is an ideal forum through which we could do something to change it.
    Just imagine if we all went on strike for a week. I know that my school (and I guess many others) would fall apart in that time. Strewth! They wouldn't even be able to clear a printer paper jam.
    Oh well, good luck to you all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The problem is, the IT job market is one undergoing quite a lot of change lately. The number of IT people available for IT jobs is quite high, especially at the lower end of the scale such as the level of IT techs and network managers. Schools get away with what they pay because people are willing to get paid that amount. So, to a degree there is a certain amount of 'live with it' for everyone employed at the moment, but that doesn't mean you can't try and change things.

Regarding the thought of whether the schools would survive for a week without us, I'd hope they would to be honest, and in my case when I've been on a week long residential trip, everything has been fine.

Thank Post
    I started on that wage in several years ago but I was new to IT and all I did was change printer cartridges and insert floppy disks into the pc for a re-build.
    The only way I could better this was to move - which I did and have learnt much more in the process. While you are waiting you could try for some training - the OU are doing some good courses now. They aren't too expensive for the school so you might have a chance there.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast